Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1166643  by DutchRailnut

its either gone look 100% like M-7a but with updated technology and compatible with M-7a.

Or second option is, MNCR is going with NJT style Multi levels cars with DC only power cars.

One person at MNCR engineering is very much interested in same type of power car as the Dutch MDDM.
a Bo-Bo-Bo multilevel with locomotive at lower level and seats in upper level
 #1166671  by F-line to Dudley via Park

CTRailfan wrote:
NH2060 wrote:
khansingh wrote:What about a power car that could also draw from catenary?
Ain't gonna happen any time soon. The power cars in question would be kept strictly to the Hudson and Harlem lines making the use of a pantograph unnecessary. Plus the New Haven Line is getting new cars as it is. That being said I can definitely see the New Haven Line seeing trains of power cars and coaches instead of MUs for the GCT-New Haven expresses (and perhaps GCT-New London through trains should they ever materialize).
That doesn't make much sense, as they still have to run on third rail down to GCT. Also, the traffic levels don't support running an 8-10 car set out to NLC. SLE needs electric gear bad, but they don't need 8-10 car trains anytime soon.
The non-Amtrak SLE platforms are only 3 cars long. They can't even open all doors on a 4-car M8 consist. The new Westbrook station can handle 4, so that's probably what most others will eventually get upgraded to.

Lower population density east of New Haven means lower cap on the walk-up crowds for any given train. Where SLE differs from small branches like Danbury is that its ridership market can draw a more consistently good crowd at more time slots...just not necessarily much more crowds at any particular time slot. So its growth potential tracks with more frequent service, not higher-capacity trains. Different dynamics than the NHL et al where they've got to find ways to cram more bodies onto a more or less saturated schedule.

SLE's never going to be a car-hungry service. Even if extended permanently to New London with escalating service levels. Even if extended to Mystic and Westerly. Neither will Danbury put much dent in the M8 supply if the electrification proponents win out. The only thing that's going to force any supplemental order of pantograph-equipped MU's are NHL-Penn service of substantial density and NHL ridership overflow putting the new MLV + power car concept on the front-burner.
 #1173078  by khansingh

DutchRailnut wrote:its either gone look 100% like M-7a but with updated technology and compatible with M-7a.
So they're not going to get Vergara to design the exterior, then?

I'm curious, how many companies might bid for the contract?
 #1173114  by Backshophoss

Kawaski,and BBD have proven they can work with the "Metropolitan" design and have sucessful cars on the RR now.
Rotem might try to put in a bid,but cosidering the glitches with the SL-V's (SEPTA) and the MBTA ML car order,
MTA SHOULD NOT consider Rotem.
 #1173266  by Clean Cab

My prediction, MN will not buy any M9's.
 #1173355  by Silverliner II

Why do you predict that? The M-3's won't last forever, even having been overhauled...
 #1173369  by Clean Cab

I'm not saying the M3's won't be replaced. I'm saying they may not be replaced with M9s from what I'm gathering. Time will tell.
 #1175792  by TacSupport1

Weren't they supposed to announce the bid award by now, or has it been pushed back....again?
 #1176009  by Clean Cab

MN has not advertised for bidders for the M9s as of yet. If MN does decide to buy them, they will be part of the MTA 5 year Capital Project Plan for 2015 to 2020 which has yet to be finalized. But if you do not see them listed, that means they are thinking of purchasing push-pull equipment to replace the M3's.
 #1184950  by Thomas

Why would they want push-pull train sets to replace the M3's?
 #1184956  by lirr42

Because the NJTransit-style multilevel cars would be able to seat more people per car (on average 20-30 more people per car depending on configuration). And the M3A's need to be replaced sometime soon, they're getting pretty old.
 #1185010  by Thomas

I believe that NJ Transit's multilevel cars are too tall to fit in at least two of the Park Avenue Tunnel's...
 #1185021  by Clean Cab

They will fit in the Park Ave tunnel and within GCT. The problem is their low frame and the placement of the trucks means they cannot negotiate some of the tighter switches within the GCT interlocking.
 #1185142  by Thomas

Can the manufacture update the trucks to enable these multilevel coaches to operate into Grand Central Terminal?