• Integrated Signal Systems

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

CIOR- you might want to consider the software from Railroad & Co... duplicates many of the functions of Bruce Chubb's C/MRI system, and I bet you'll have an easier time with it, too. The RITMRC boys can explain it better, but it sounds like essentially a seemless integration of your Windows PC to your DCC-controlled railroad and the only specialized quipment you need is a cable from your PC to the DCC system, and the software.

The nice thing about the ISS signals is that they are of sturdy brass construction- assembled they look great- no sloppy solder joints or anything... We cant say enough good things about the product- except we're sad ISS had left Rochester!

-otto-

by ANDY117

Thank you everyone, no more Bachmann Cheapos for us! Im gonna have to figure out a way to integrate this with a NJ international Semaphore!

by CIOR

Otto Vondrak wrote:CIOR- you might want to consider the software from Railroad & Co... duplicates many of the functions of Bruce Chubb's C/MRI system, and I bet you'll have an easier time with it, too. The RITMRC boys can explain it better, but it sounds like essentially a seemless integration of your Windows PC to your DCC-controlled railroad and the only specialized quipment you need is a cable from your PC to the DCC system, and the software.
-otto-
I haven't made 100% positive what I will use yet, but I like the C/MRI system for the other abilities it has, beyond the CTC aspect of it..
If someone cares to explain the ability of the RR&Co system, I will listen. Will it intergrate into the Digitrax system (DB's not DCS)?

by Mike Roque

CIOR wrote:If someone cares to explain the ability of the RR&Co system, I will listen. Will it intergrate into the Digitrax system (DB's not DCS)?
TrainController talks directly to the LocoNet (via MS100 or LocoBuffer), so it shouldn't matter which command station you use.

I'll tell you from firsthand experience that it's very easy to use and VERY powerful. Take a look at the Railroad and Co website for more info.
CIOR wrote:[...]I like the C/MRI system for the other abilities it has, beyond the CTC aspect of it..
What are these abilities that you are interested in? I'll wager that TrainController can probably do it...

by CRail

Ok that makes since, the clear indication makes since now, i failed to realize also that the cars dont effect the block occupancy, does that ever cause problems? would there be a way to install mettle wheels such as for lighted cars that would trigger the BOD?

by Mike Roque

CRail wrote:[...]the cars dont effect the block occupancy, does that ever cause problems? would there be a way to install mettle wheels such as for lighted cars that would trigger the BOD?
Yes, only cars with an electrical load (Lights, a motor, etc.) trigger the detector. It isn't a problem, as long as the dispatcher remembers that he can only see the where the front of the train is! ;)

Currently, we have one or two lit cabooses that provide the necessary occupancy, but yes, most cars don't trigger the detector.

Metal wheels aren't the only necessary component...you need a resistor of some kind to complete the circuit and provide a load...
  by zablocki22

We use those signals as well (with the tri-colored LED's) at our club in Carlstadt,NJ. I get a kick out of seeing them change to the different aspects as a train passes then advances to other blocks or routes.

I can attest to the durability of them. This past Wednesday evening, a freight derailed and a covered hopper went into a three head mast. It really banged it. The middle head popped out, the bottom one turned but the mast itself DID NOT BUDGE... Inserted the heads into their little openings and you never knew anything happened.

Did have a little fun by telling the guy who installed them that a freight just took it out to which he went a running to see for himself.

Hee hee...

Vincent

by ANDY117

So these are the Erie signals on the tier? I wish the catalog would load :( ... Are these DCC only, or are they compatible with DC?

by CIOR

Well I had a look at the RR&Co. site. I like what I saw, but I don't think it will do what I want it to.
I am building a late 70's DS board, with the toggle switches and flip switches for turnouts. I don't want a computer to control directly, so I don't think this is what I want.

by ANDY117

I'm liking that! Now we just have to get a DCC system. Reccomendations anyone?

by CIOR

ANDY117 wrote:I'm liking that! Now we just have to get a DCC system. Reccomendations anyone?
I'm a Digitrax user. There are many options and its just one of those things you need to look into. It needs to fit your needs, what your wants and layout needs.
Stater sets are out there.
  by Mike Roque

Having switched to Digitrax from NCE, I would recommend Digitrax. To put it simply, the LocoNet architecture is WAY better than NCE's cab bus. Digitrax also has a great signalling system (BDL168 + SE8c) that's ALREADY out (NCE's been promising one for several years, but it's still not out. That's one of the main reasons we switched...). Plus, having tried both NCE's initial wireless system and Digitrax's current system, the Digitrax wireless performs as fast as if you were plugged in...the NCE had significant lag, even directly in front of the receiver and in direct line of sight.

Digitrax is the best...their web site is http://www.digitrax.com.
Last edited by Mike Roque on Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ANDY117

Does it have sound decoders?

by stilson4283

You can use any Sound Decode with any DCC system.

Chris

RIT Model Railroad Club
Train Show March 20th 2005

by Otto Vondrak

Let's try to keep this discussion in the realm of the ISS signals and train control systems (like the RR&Co software). You start talking about general DCC functions and Chris and Mike just won't stop. ;-)

-otto-