• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Gilbert B Norman

Volks, my 55th Reunion at South Kent is next June. Anyone want to give me odds that somebody's train will stop at Woodrow and I and maybe some of my '61 classmates will walk up Spooner Hill to School? :-D :-D :P :P
  by DutchRailnut

think your chance of winning lottery are about 3 times better than that train.
  by Greg Moore

DutchRailnut wrote:yes RDC is operational, but would need about $200 000 or more in work to make it FRA compliant,trucks need overhaul including replacement of all rubber parts, brakes need total overhaul including total rebuild of the 8 brake cylinders , the brake valves need rebuilding in cab and under car a new slip slide system would need to be designed as rollocrons no longer have working parts.
and no matter what, to operate it you would need a Metro North crew as labor agreements will not allow for others to operate passenger service on Metro North tracks.
no way DRM could afford Engineer and Conductor at contract rate with only 70 or so people per trip.
Interesting, how does Amtrak handle this, do they have a MNRR crew from Hells Gate to New Haven or something?
  by Greg Moore

On a different note, I was back "home" last night in Falls Village and managed to catch a slide show given by a Mr. Peter McLachlan (I wouldn't be surprised if others know him, it was my first time meeting him though).

Some wonderful slides, mostly of his work on the Berkshire line, but a few over the Poughkeepsie Bridge and a few other areas.

Anyway, the question was raised about passenger service returning and he made no bones about it never happening under the current HRRC and it being an attempt at a money grab. Something I think we all could pretty much agree with.

(That said, I do think in the right hands with the right approach something could be done, but it ain't happening under the current setup!)

One thing he mentioned was the highest MAS was 50mph. The track is CLEARLY no where near that now, but it does sort of give an upper limit on anything we could ever expect to see from NYC to Pittsfield.

It was sort of sad to see the glory days of the line when multiple passenger trains traversed it.
  by DutchRailnut

Greg Moore wrote:Interesting, how does Amtrak handle this, do they have a MNRR crew from Hells Gate to New Haven or something?
Amtrak service is grandfathered, as those services existed before MN was created.
but for example SLE operates with Amtrak crew east of New Haven and a Metro North crew from New Haven to Stamford.
Housatonic railroad could not run passenger services on Metro North their rights are freight only, MN can not operate freight other than work trains or to clear a train in emergencies.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Needless to say, Mr. Moore, I had first hand views of Berkshire Line "action" during my SKS years '56-'61. There was always a sequence to divert attention from "the Game" on Saturday afternoons when 142 operated. It would meet with Daily 143 on the siding to the South of Kent. Therefore, passing in full view of Father's Field (come on Dads, break out those checkbooks - we'll get your Sons later) were two trains in 15 minutes - something, for a few moments a week, resembling my latter day "post" along BNSF Chicago Sub, where such is "the norm".

I too have met Mr. McLachlan along the way.
  by Greg Moore

DutchRailnut wrote:Amtrak service is grandfathered, as those services existed before MN was created.
but for example SLE operates with Amtrak crew east of New Haven and a Metro North crew from New Haven to Stamford.
Housatonic railroad could not run passenger services on Metro North their rights are freight only, MN can not operate freight other than work trains or to clear a train in emergencies.
Ok, I wasn't sure if Amtrak was grandfathered or not.

And your other points are exactly why I think HRRC passenger service is doomed. Unless someone gets everyone together at one table and gets people talking it's just not going to happen. To be successful one would want a single seat ride and I can't see MNRR wanting to work with the present HRRC in any capacity. And I can't blame them.

I'd LOVE to see someone make this happen (I could easily see starting it off with a Friday NB train bringing weekenders up and then returning Sunday and then slowing expanding) but I can't see anyone with the authority or political mojo willing to do so.
  by DutchRailnut

I really can't see any off this happening, it takes 4 hours by train from GCT to Great Barrington, a trip that takes 2 hours by car.
  by Arlington

Agreed. As somebody else said, If Massachusetts is the main sponsor and the Goal is "Pittsfield/Berkshires/Barrington", it makes more sense to operate NYP-ALB-PIT. It is all Amtrak-qualified and would be 2h35 + 1h00 = 3h35, and have the benefit that any investments by MA would at least also get used by the Lake Shore Ltd, and any by NY would help many many trains per day.
  by Steamboat Willie

DRN - I strongly disagree with 2 hours from GCT to Great Barrington by automobile. 131 miles with no traffic, 2:35hrs. Figure you will easily hit some lights, looking at 3 hours.

Theres a long shot you may see service extended to New Milford, but not in anyone's near life time of service into Great Barrington. Too much local opposition and the residents along the ROW already think it's too much with NX-11/13 doing its daily trips.
  by DutchRailnut

4 hours by rail is very optimistic too , so lets not Quibble about road miles ;-)
\
  by Pj

I can tell you that on my district, a 50mph authorized freight can do 176 miles in 4 hours switch to switch - if powered up. As it happened, that's what I did last night, and the first 50 miles was at 40mph with some other stretches at 40mph (weight of train going up grades, not restricted).

So all things being even, it can be done. 49MPH freight track is generally good for 59MPH passenger speeds, not counting any perm curve/speed restrictions.

I've done 310 miles on a UPS trains (auth for 70mph) in 4.5-5 hours. I'd have to check my old time logs, but I've had some really good "all greens" trips.
  by DutchRailnut

you ever try to move that same train on track poor maintained and yet on paper good for 25 mph, with no signalling and 100 year old non maintained bridges ??
  by Pj

Thank god no. I'm CTC/ACS for 310 miles :)

Though I see they are hiring engineers there...but they couldn't afford me.
  by Gilbert B Norman

South Kent School Reunion is June 17-19, and I'll be going out for my 55th.

I think I want to do without my car, so I'll hop aboard the hourly Berkshire Service from GCT, which runs Nonstop to Brookfield. I'll get of at New Milford, but at a special stop in front of the Rocky River Inn. Now with the hourly.service offered, after checking in to the hotel. I'll hop the next one and be off for School. I stumble into a few other 'lums of my Old Guard standing and we have a few in the Bar Car. But now we're at Woodrow and it is time to start the hoof up Spooner Hill to School. First it will be Chapel (gotta do something reverent), but then time for festivities.

With the hourly Berkshire service stopping at Woodrow, it'time to head back to New Milford and a good night's sleep (much better than in the barracks that they open to younger Lums). Next day, more of same.

But that Berkshire Service is nice with it's Talgos that glide around the curves at 65mph; and the Bar and Light Meal service is great, so is the First Class seating.

Oh but whoops....I just woke up. :-D