• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ANDY117

What's the difference between a FL9m and a FL9ac?

by DutchRailnut

FL9m's are the 6 CDOT (NH painted) units rebuilkt by M-K.
FL9AC's are the 2040-46 they are FL-9's on steroids with AC propulsion built by ABB in Elmira.
Danbury has the 2011 on 3 car shuttle and two car shuttle has 413 in lead and 2016 behind.

by Maybrook fan

As of Monday the 2014 & 2024 were still doing the upper Harlem Shuffle. And not to pick on Mr. Vondrak, but they make a good shot "ANYWHERE at ANYTIME" !!!!

by Otto Vondrak

I agree! But don't pick on Mr. Vondrak, that's my dad... you can pick on me all you like!

Who remembers the FL9 sandwiches of 2002? Was hoping that MN might try that again for the Harlem... shades of the 1970s!

by ANDY117

I might have to hang out more at my grandmas local MN station! ( Chappaqua)!

by njtmnrrbuff

ANDY,
Bad news, the cab units really do not operate above Southeast. Basically, I am saying they are not allowed into GCT. On the Harlem, they run on the Southeast-Wassaic shuttle. Even bad news, time is really winding down for cab units in revenue service. I have seen a lot of GEs working on the branches in conn. Also, I rode behind one on a six car consist to Dover Plains. Believe it or not, it was a shuttle.

by Maybrook fan

njt/mnrrbuff is right they sometimes use a larger train of 5-6 cars for the upper Harlem Shuffle. But I belive that is more of a convienance for Metro North, than a demand for seats. That happens when they want to maintain the regular equipment, make use of dead head equipment or for crew reasons.

Someone that works there I'm sure could give a better detailed expanation. But the majority of the Shuttle trains are 2 or 3 cars, with what ever flavor the power of the week happens to be.

Now back to the main topic. It was originally posted on here sometime ago that Metro North was going to have Amtrak's locomotives on the property last August and the "F" units would be history. Well it's now Feb. and the only ones coming at this point are Ct. DOT leased units.

I by NO MEAN'S am an authority on this subject. But my opinion is that the "F" units will slowly go out by attrition. I belive they will be scrapped out as they go down due to major break downs or wrecks. The exeption to this is the AC "Starship" conversions. It is my understanding these did not live up to expectations and Metro North is waiting for a loop hole to dump them.

by njtmnrrbuff

What MN does with that six car shuttle on the Upper harlem is similer to transit on the coastline below LB. In fact, all year round, there are a few diesels that continue to Hob.

by DutchRailnut

on Sunday afternoon a six car train is used because later in afternoon That 6 car Bombardier goes south to GCT from Wassaic(18:15)
This gives MofE a chance to give shuttle a look see for service later( that night.
also around 17:20 the train from GCT to wassaic arriving at 19:20 is a big bomb it returns to brewster at 21:03, and after that the mini is used.
  by nh chris

FOR LEASE: 3 FL9's for sale
FL9
Passenger Locomotives ( 3 )
1750 hp
HPEFL9
EMD builder
Generator D22-DT
16-657C engine
If you have interest please let me know.

Name: Ed Potts
Address:
City: Golden
State: BC
ZIP:

Phone: 250-344-7917
email: mailto:[email protected]
So I guess the locos that M-N has recently disposed of either 1) did not get scrapped, or 2) are not really being preserved.

by Otto Vondrak

So I guess the locos that M-N has recently disposed of either 1) did not get scrapped, or 2) are not really being preserved.
Let's not start this garbage again. Several are in museums. Several remain active for new owners. Several are probably going to scrap. The future is anyone's guess.

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

Are there any F-unit assignments of note for this weekend (2/19) ?

-otto-

by Maybrook fan

Otto V. the 2 units that were on the upper Harlem are gone :(

I saw a gennie on the 2 car shuffle, I belive it was #217 if my memory is correct.

by Otto Vondrak

CDOT 2011 was working on the Danbury Branch today -2/20.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

CDOT 2027 is currently on the Wassaic Shuttle - 2/23.

-otto-