• Farewell to PCC's on the Mattapan High-Speed Line?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AMoreira81

As someone who rode the M-line back in August, I must say that while it does run through nice areas, the Mattapan yard seems too open to vandalism (as Otto saw in his visit).

by RailBus63

Mattapan Square is one of the worst neighborhoods in Boston. Any fan going there to shoot the PCC cars should be very careful. I'd recommend traveling with at least one or two other fans. Most of the other stations on the line are OK, although Valley Road and Butler Street are somewhat remote.

Jim

by Otto Vondrak

I've never felt threatened on my trips to the line, alone and in groups. Be courteous and respectful of the regular passengers, and don't get in anybody's way. From all accounts, the line is safe to visit in daylight hours, and of course, I'm not wandering around the Mattapan neighborhood at night- that's just asking for trouble.

-otto-

by Ron Newman

RailBus63 wrote:Mattapan Square is one of the worst neighborhoods in Boston.
This is not even slightly true. It is a busy commercial district. You're no more likely to have trouble there than in similar commercial strips of Allston or JP.

by Otto Vondrak

No, no, MY neighborhood is worse! blah blah blah. Let's not debate apparent safety of neighborhoods. Look- whenever I travel somewhere I'm not familiar with, I'm always on guard- period. Be smart, be safe. If you find yourself somewhere that makes you feel unsafe for any reason, then just leave as quickly as you can.

Let's get back to the PCC's.

-otto-
  by Cosmo

Right on Otto.
I used to live in Dorchester (for most of a year,) back in the early 90's. Mattapan might not have been a garden spot, but certainly no worse than Fields Corner. Not that I could see anyway. I made it over there "just to ride the PCC's" then and never had any problems myself, light or dark.
But then,I was used to the area and to riding the T in general.
But I agree, this is about the PCC's, not the neiborhoods.
(Perhaps we should retitle this thread "PCC's in 'da 'hood! :-D NOT! :P )

by rhodiecub2

So would it be likely to see the Type 7s or the Boeing LRVs be transfered over to the M line if the T really does want to keep this line?

by aline1969

Boeings will not be transfered, they are almost at the end of their service life and parts are getting rare for those Boeing cars.

by typesix

LRVs will likely go after the remaining T8s to come are in service

by jwhite07

The bare truth is that the MBTA seems to have no plans on what to equip the Mattapan Line with once the PCCs finally give up the ghost. They can't run anything but PCCs on the line now, and there has been no movement on working towards the key elements that would allow light rail vehicles (of any kind) to be assigned there. Until we all start seeing talk and funding about things like a traction power substation, ADA improvements, and a full carhouse for the Mattapan Line, we'd better hope that the PCCs keep running.

by rhodiecub2

jwhite07 wrote:The bare truth is that the MBTA seems to have no plans on what to equip the Mattapan Line with once the PCCs finally give up the ghost. They can't run anything but PCCs on the line now, and there has been no movement on working towards the key elements that would allow light rail vehicles (of any kind) to be assigned there. Until we all start seeing talk and funding about things like a traction power substation, ADA improvements, and a full carhouse for the Mattapan Line, we'd better hope that the PCCs keep running.
That would be a shame to see the M line get bustituted but I don't think people let that happen as another post had said

by danib62

I just wanted to point out that I think the Mattapan High Speed Line will be around for a while. The T has plans on their website for a new station at Mattapan. You can see them here: http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/m ... tation.asp

by Otto Vondrak

A new station? There goes the neighborhood...

-otto-

by CSX Conductor

jwhite07 wrote:The bare truth is that the MBTA seems to have no plans on what to equip the Mattapan Line with once the PCCs finally give up the ghost. They can't run anything but PCCs on the line now, and there has been no movement on working towards the key elements that would allow light rail vehicles (of any kind) to be assigned there. Until we all start seeing talk and funding about things like a traction power substation, ADA improvements, and a full carhouse for the Mattapan Line, we'd better hope that the PCCs keep running.
Smells like a conspiracy by the MBTA to implement another branch of the Silver Line :( . Uggh, that thing is a joke. 20+ minutes to Logan from South Station at 1100 at night with no traffic. Uggh, what a poor system. :(

By the way Otto, on your last trip to Mattapan did you get pics of the Papa Gino's which used to be an old RR station?

by RailBus63

I'm assuming the MBTA hasn't allocated money for PCC replacements because they are planning to run them for another 10 years or so. Once the Ashmont viaduct is rebuilt, a small repair shop and a new substation is all that would be needed to run Type 7's at some point in the future when their Green Line days are up. Mattapan and Ashmont have wayside lifts to meet the ADA 'key stations' requirements, so actually no other station changes are needed.

JD