• CSX Mohawk river bridge at Hoffmans, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Ironman

The bridge replacement was completed early this morning, pretty much right on schedule.
  by sd80mac

what about Q090? it usually goes through Rochester sunday night- monday early morning. I figured this one would be first EB to go through.
videobruce wrote:Effective traffic (leading zeros not shown, annulled traffic operates a day later, usually as a extra);

Q4 detours at Belle Isle south on the Susie Q at 1430,
Q8 2 hrs early on the 22nd, normal on the 23rd,
Q9 2 hrs early,
!17 1 1/2 hrs early,
Q18 holds at Bridge 8 hrs, behind Q2,
Q20 holds at Bridge 7 hrs, 1st EB thru,
Q22 originates at DeWitt on the 22nd, normal on the 23rd,
L112 terminates at Collingwood,
L113 originates at DeWitt,
Q114 annulled,
Q156 holds at DeWitt 5 hrs,
Q161 terminates at DeWitt,
L163 3 hrs early,
Q164 terminates at DeWitt,
Q262 10 hrs late,
Q263 3 hrs early,
Q264 2 hrs late,
Q268 holds at Frontier 8 hrs,
Q279 annulled,
Q351 operates on 641's schedule,
Q364 annulled on the 22nd, 1 hr late on the 23rd,
Q366 annulled,
Q380 holds at Garrett 15 hrs,
Q382 holds at Willard 13 hrs,
Q386 6 hrs early,
Q393 annulled,
Q620 holds Watertown 14 hrs,
L6216 hrs late,
Q626 9 hrs late,
Q627 annulled,
Q640 annulled,
Q641 annulled
  by roadster

I can imagine photos would have been difficult. The area is remote along the Northshore and difficult to get to. The Southshore is along Rt 5 S, but is all private property. The canal/river has been closed to all boating since the flooding of Irene and Lee in this area.
  by sd80mac

roadster wrote:I can imagine photos would have been difficult. The area is remote along the Northshore and difficult to get to. The Southshore is along Rt 5 S, but is all private property. The canal/river has been closed to all boating since the flooding of Irene and Lee in this area.

Someone did took pics of the equipments and placing the beams on the piers.. but I dont know who this someone was.. he may be employer or the contractor.. or someone who got granted permission to be on project site.

it was posted in one of the blog website. I dont remember which one... trainorder???
  by videobruce

The Carrier hired a outside company to photo the whole ordeal.
BTW, the project supposedly cost upwards of $12M.
  by roadster

This project is NOT done! Due to the issues and damage cuased by Irene and Lee flooding in August. Only one section was able to be replaced. The rest of the project is on hold till the spring as repairs and re-engineering of remaining project takes place over the winter months.
  by nysw136

At least the additional delay gives hope for another detour or two down the NYSW when Phase II is installed.
  by scharnhorst

well small baby steps are better than nothing as far as getting this project done.
  by roadster

Boy, had to dig back a ways for this old thread. To update everyone on this project. Contractors have been back on site for about 2 weeks now, and the project is moving along. the structure for lifting and swapping the new and old bridge segments on the North side of the river has been expanded further across the river. A large barge with the new bridge griders has been stationed next to the east side of the bridge, and smaller segments have been assembled in the staging area along the South shore of the river. I haven't heard of a date set for the curfew yet, but as always as soon as I get it, I'll pass it along.
  by videobruce

Any pics??
  by roadster

Just a little updating on this project. Western span seems to be ready for installation, pearched along the upstream side of the bridge. crews are constructing the downriver side of the structure which the old bridge will be slid onto during the single movement operation. The center bridge structures are assembled on the shore and panel track is being positioned on top. A large barge is positioned along the Southside upriver assembly area, which will eventually carry the center structure to the middle of the river and large cranes will lift these segments in place after removal of the old segments. Recent conversations with managers say that the proceedure will take place on Labor day weekend, during a 36hr curfew window. (same as Last year, untill interupted by the huricanes and tornado) So basicly the project is 1 year behind schedule due the storms damages to the surrounding canal and local infastructure. On a side note, the bridge over West Canada creek, at Herkimer, NY is going to be redecked at the same time. Track panels with bridge ties have been assembled and are staged, waiting for the big day.
  by videobruce

I bet the southern gestapo just hates to have to do all of this.
  by RussNelson

Hey, roadster, did you see a bunch of bicyclists along the Mohawk this past week? I was one of them! We rode from Buffalo to Albany. 500 riders, 400 miles, 8 days. I have a pic of the bridge from NY-5. It's pretty clearly not finished, given the track panels still sitting there. Sitting in my camera at work. Will post.
  by lakeshoredave

i heard the bridge is getting worked on this weekend? any word on how traffic will be diverted, etc?