• CSX Mohawk river bridge at Hoffmans, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by charlie6017

Is it safe to assume that the bridge replacement is not happening over this weekend? Just curious..........

Thanks! :-)

Charlie
  by roadster

Correct Charlie, Operations are running normally.
  by charlie6017

Thanks Roadster! :-)

Charlie
  by budd5670

Roadster, whats the plan now for the Hoffmans bridge replacement, still July 4th weekend??
  by lvrr325

CSX may not even know for sure, could be some red tape holding it up, could be they're just waiting for the thing to fall down or something first. I mean, they could detour around it, although it would call for at least one reverse move.
  by roadster

Well here's some thing of interest. I was on Vac. over the past 2 weeks, and out of circulation. My first trip to Selkirk since returning to work, Monday morning, revealed a large staging area has been cleared in a field on the Southside of the River and on the West side of the bridge and RoW. There are 2 cranes on site, 1 fairly large, a bunch of heavy steal beams, and numerous other equipment and supplies.. There are also 3 barges in the river tied up next to the staging area. There is also a work area esstablished, every day between CP RJ and MP 41.1, requiring trains to ask the foreman in charge permission to pass through. Obviously they are preparing for the job, but as yet I have not heard a date from a reliable source. Crewroom Rumor mill has mentioned the 4th of July weekend now. But that is only rumor mill fodder. More as I hear or see it.
  by roadster

Personally, I hope they replace it before it falls down, since I'd rather not be on it if that happened. Would really put a damper on my whole day.
  by roadster

Traversed the bridge yesterday morning and crews continue to place the large pillings along the side of the bridge near the shore line. A couple new barges have arrived along the site, and more heavy steel truss pieces are being stock piled in the staging area on the S shore on the west side of the bridge. Many surveyor stacks are now lining the row along both sides of the tracks about a 1000 ft on either side of the bridge for allignment reference during the upcoming replacement operation. Basicly, work continues.
  by roadster

Earlier this week 2 barges arrived with large grider type panels. I believe these to be part of the main bridge structure to be placed. Several smaller crossmembers sections have been trucked in and are in the staging area. today crews were constructing a large structure under the Southside of the bridge, which appears to be some sort of lifting device.
  by lakeshoredave

thanks for the update. soon enough the day will be here, and people maybe can catch a detour on the nysw?
  by TOMT7X

This tends me to wonder how this would work. Since, I was thinking if they are going to change the pilings and beams and such, they might run some trains thru the construction zone. Like the collapse of the Anacostia River Bridge in Washington DC, they just simply shut down one of the 2 main tracks, replace all the girders and beams on one side, then shift the traffic to the other newly laid/replaced bridge to replace the beams and such on the other.

Looks to me they probably will do one track/girder/beam at a a time to expedite traffic and lessen delays. That was my only guess.. Would like to hear what others say..
  by scharnhorst

Where would traffic detour to could some of it go North on CP/D&H to Canada and cross back into Niagara Falls. Some Traffic over the Tier on NS and Some to NYS&W?? Would Panam see any traffic?
  by roadster

CSX is still claiming that it is to be only a 24hr shutdown. I'd expect a day of normally low traffic, so few reroutes would really happen. Some priority stuff from out west would most likely be sent East from Willard, Oh, on the old B&O, via Cumbreland and Baltimore. The rest would just be held and staged for the 24 hr period.
  by lvrr325

If they really had to, they could do the switching in advance and detour right there in Albany I would think, using the Amtrak routing, for priority trains.
  by Noel Weaver

If the old Bull Run Connection is still useable and I suspect it is, they could detour through that connection and the Port Sub back up to Selkirk. There would be major clearance issues, lack of qualified crews, cab signal territory, severe grade, passenger congestion and single track operatilon so I do not think they will try to do it this way. If it is only to be a 24 hour shutdown I think the most practical thing is to just hold everything back for the 24 hours. Of course if they still had the old West Shore between Rotterdam Junction and Utica, bingo for their detour but that's been gone for a long time now.
Noel Weaver