• Breaking News and Accident/Delays

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

My question is are MBTA rapid transit track workers allowed to work on the track on in an interlocking without needing the dispatcher to put up a blocking device, or at least advise the trains that the crews are in said area?

by TPR37777

On January 30, 1997 a track worker was struck and killed while working on a crossover outside Ruggles Station. The NTSB report criticized the MBTA for a lack of related rules and for reflective vests that lacked visibility from the side. I wonder if the findings were addressed.
  by Robert Paniagua

MODERATOUR'S NOTICE

Well, I changed my mind, sort of. I decided to separate the topics after all, however, this one will be for Breaking MBTA news and accidents or other emergencies. This way, it'll clear up any confusions as Mr. Newman says.

Sorry for any earlier problems everyone :-)

by typesix

T dispatchers regularly warn train crews by radio about workers in specific areas.

by AEM7AC920

Along with the warnings the motormen also give off a few short blasts if a crew is known to be working in the area. I think this is just another preventable accident, despite the weather being a factor.

by CSX Conductor

typesix wrote:T dispatchers regularly warn train crews by radio about workers in specific areas.
Apparently this is not enough. :(

by octr202

Article in the Globe today about the gentleman who lost his life at Wellington on Thursday:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... n_of_mbta/

Hopefully, this will help remind people, that even through the problems and delays, there's a lot of really dedicated people risking their lives to keep the system running.

by ST214

There was an accident tonight. A train hit an abandoned truck on the tracks in Holbrook. Service is back to normal.

by CSX Conductor

One of the dispatchers and I were discussing that on the phone earlier, sounds like another copy-cat of the Metro-Link accident.

by AEM7AC920

Was the train running loco or cab car 1st?

by CSX Conductor

I believe southbound (pulling).

by lstrong

Was it the #1018 that left Boston at 8:10? I noticed it was about 30 minutes late getting to Middleboro.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

it happened in holbrook, it was heading inbound with 1521 leading, saw this morning on the news

by Robert Paniagua

That's my area! Holbrook. How long did the whole incident last?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

they said they had the line opened in a couple of hours after the accident