• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JimBoylan

Already, the Northeast Corridor is shut down for Wed. Mar. 21 afternoon and evening except for some Keystones and a 2 p.m. Northbound 94 out of Washington.
  by TomNelligan

Yes, all sorts of Eastern cancellations, both corridor and long distance, listed by Amtrak this morning, including everything south out of Boston. I'm getting the impression that they don't even try anymore in the face of snowstorms. The current forecast for Rhode Island and southern Connecticut (i.e., the Shore Line route) calls for 6" to 10" of snow by tomorrow morning, not an apocalyptic blizzard. MBTA commuter service is operating normally.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I know I'm guilty of repeating thoughts previously expressed, but where is the "gumption" to get things up and running nowadays?

I rode out Carol, which hit Stonington CT as a Cat 3 on August 31, 1954, aboard a 36' sailboat (on a YC Guest Mooring). Of course, the New Haven did not operate as the storm hit, but through the night there were crews removing boats that had washed-up on the ROW, and by Noon "day after" a Westward passenger train had passed. Sure, it was a "grab anything" consist, but it could and handle passengers.

Oh well, so much for the "Center to Center All-Weather Service" nowadays that the New Haven once advertised.
  by leviramsey

Overhead catenary is logically far less resilient than diesel in terms of a storm with a wind/surge component: the latter's ability to run is effectively a question of whether there's something on the tracks. But if the process of that something getting on the tracks also takes down the catenary, that's an even bigger problem than clearing the tracks.
  by STrRedWolf

Most of the problems would be trees on the track, trees in the catenary, catenay down, and too much snow (although 18" I doubt is much on an equipped diesel).

On the NEC, though... you still got the NYP "no diesel" law.

Snow's sticking here along the NEC in Severn, MD near BWI.
  by leviramsey

STrRedWolf wrote: On the NEC, though... you still got the NYP "no diesel" law.
I'm not saying that the NEC shouldn't be electrified. I'm just pointing out that comparing to the NH days of diesel isn't entirely relevant.
  by ohioriverrailway

Thought it was interesting that they bagged 42/43 for the day. Wonder if they ran buses for the PGH Capitol connection??
  by east point

[quote="leviramsey"]Overhead catenary is logically far less resilient than diesel in terms of a storm with a wind/surge component: the latter's ability to run is effectively a question of whether there's something on the tracks. But if the process of that something getting on the tracks also takes down the catenary, that's an even bigger problem than clearing the tracks.[/quote

But of course the CAT is needed for speeds above 125 MPH. Then only 4 cars any more load look at max speeds of 100-11- .
  by R&DB

Looks like Autotrain #52 is going to be very late to Lorton. Just a few miles north of the SFA yard, 0 mph and marked SERVICE DISRUPTION.
  by Gilbert B Norman

There are local media reports that 53 (28) had a derailment near Enfield, NC or 15 miles North of Rocky Mount. Four auto racks derailed; to what extent there has been damage to any vehicles was not reported, however there were no injuries to persons. Reported further is that the Auto racks were uncoupled and the passenger cars proceeded Southward:

http://abc11.com/amp/auto-train-derails ... y/3277504/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All trains, freight and passenger are significantly delayed.
  by lordsigma12345

All trains are canceled along New Haven-Springfield line on Saturday April 7th. due to some final track work in preparation for the launch of the expanded Amtrak service and the new CTrail Hartford Line. All trains will be bus-stituted between NHV and SPG. Vermonter will be bussed between NHV and SAB and the buses will skip Claremont, NH, Windsor, VT, and Randolph, VT. As a result of that day’s shutdown, the northbound Regional through trains 148 and 136 on Friday the 6th and the southbound through trains 143 and 157 on Sunday the 8th will also be canceled and substituted by buses. All other trains on Friday and Sunday will operate as normal.
  by STrRedWolf

Yeah, Pennsylvanian 42 would be already on route by the time of the wreck and past Latrobe. They probably had a two hour delay for a track to clear and slowly run over the rail. Canceling 43... is a tough call, and probably would of involved crew hours to Harrisburg. Does the Pittsburgh crew "head back home" at Harrisburg after a two hour rest period?