• Amtrak on the Florida East Coast FEC Jacksonville - Miami

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Murjax

I wasn't sure where exactly to post this because this topic so if it has to be moved go right on ahead and move it. Anyway I was wondering if any of you knew if Amtrak goes on the Florida East Coast Railway line through St. Augustine,FL?
  by Noel Weaver

The short answer is no. It is a long story. It could be possible sometime
in the future.
Noel Weaver
  by jp1822

It was listed as a proposal in 2001, when Amtrak was contemplating re-organizing the Silver Service trains whereby at least one Silver Service train would run down the FEC Railway and also originate in Boston (as opposed to NYC). Part of the whole Warrington Network Groth Strategy Plan. Never came to fruition.
  by Ocala Mike

Amtrak runs Jacksonville-Palatka down the CSX "A" line (the old Atlantic Coast Line) some 25 miles west of the FEC line. At a recent Florida Rail Passengers Association meeting I attended, the subject of use of the FEC came up as a remote future possibility; since that time, the FEC has changed ownership, adding another variable to the equation. Probably not going to happen anytime soon.
  by NellieBly

At the risk of repeating things that have been posted before, here's the situation as I know it:

The state of Florida would like to see passenger train service on the FEC. The state and various localities actually appropriated money to construct stations and rehab the "Northwood Connection" in West Palm Beach so one Amtrak train could use FEC from there to Jacksonville. But then any new Amtrak service was put on hold, so the plans collapsed.

The state is now in Phase II of a very large study called the "South FEC Corridor Study", which is looking at the FEC from Jupiter, FL to Miami for possible transit or commuter rail use. This might involve actually using FEC tracks, or might end up constructing a separate railroad on the FEC ROW (which is 100 feet wide throughout). The extension of Tri-Rail service north to Jupiter over the FEC is also under study.

It's hard to say where this will all come out, but a friend of mine who is the senior manager for the consulting firm doing the study thinks they'll end up recommending commuter rail on the FEC ROW, with one or more connections to Tri-Rail.

What this all means for Amtrak service is hard to say. Further, the state has committed to running commuter rail out of Orlando on the CSX A Line, currently Amtrak's route from Jacksonville south. I suppose we could see Amtrak on the FEC all the way from Jax to Miami in the future, despite Mr. Norman's repeated observation that the only market to the east of the FEC is "sharks in the ocean".
  by Ocala Mike

Very nice summation, NellieBly. If I hear anything more through FRPC, I will post it.

by Murjax

Thanks for the information everyone. I personally don't expect Florida to do anything as far as trains go because Florida isn't that concerned with it's passenger railroad future. :(
  by NellieBly

Mr. Murjax:

Now THAT is an interesting comment. The state purchased 71 miles of the former Seaboard in 1989, and just finished double-tracking and resignaling it. The state has just reached agreement with CSX to buy another 61 miles of railroad around Orlando, and will probably rebuild it as well. The state had funds committed to build stations on the FEC and was ready to put the rehab of the Northwood connection out to bid.

How can you say Florida has no interest in rail?
  by Murjax

Florida does have a wide freight system but I was kind of talking about the passenger rail system. For example there were plans to build a really nice high speed rail system throughout Florida but the Governor turned it down. I just know a few of these facts from exploration of Florida railroads on the Internet. If you know something I don't please tell me.
  by Ocala Mike

What NellieBly said! "The Governor" you refer to, a not-so-distant relation to the present inhabitant of the White House, is no longer a factor in Sunshine State politics.

Florida rail passenger service got no small boost by the inclusion of Washington - Miami Grand Luxe service (good publicity and can't hurt the tourist trade). In addition, plans for commuter rail in the Orlando area are proceeding.

I wouldn't be surprised if something is announced soon regarding service NOL-JAX or ORL.
  by trainhq

Here's a good idea (think it's been discussed before). But for only $70 million, on a fast, straight, flat well-maintaned track bed, they could get Amtrak on the Florida East Coast between Jacksonville and Miami. All they would need is to put up some stations, put a few passing sidings in, and buy some rolling stock, and off they'd go. (Note they might be able to save $$$ on the stations by starting with some double-wides until the service catches on.) This is the kind of project I think Amtrak should be doing now; trying to use existing tracks in a cost-effective manner to get new service; not spending gazillions on pie in the sky high speed planning that won't ever get built.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 57906.html
  by Gilbert B Norman

Be sure to review the reader comments following the article; the sentiment other than that of a fellow residing overseas, is simply "what do we need it for"?

The Sun-Sentinel reporter seems ignorant of how locally funded passenger service works in Florida; Jupiter is in Martin County and to date, nothing has come to my attention that County has imposed a local level tax to directly fund passenger rail - that like it or not is the law of the land in Florida. No tax, no Tri-Rail.

Finally, any diversion of service away from the biggest tourist draw Florida has, namely the Rodent and his Court Jesters, makes little sense. While not on the immediate horizon, Amtrak could well whack 97-98, Silver Meteor, at some time when the budget axe falls on Amtrak leaving Florida with the "one a day' frequency prevalent for other LD routes. As I've noted here in the past, the Meteor could be whacked without the 180 Day Notice usder ARAA '97 as there would remain service over any portion of the Meteor's route. The thought of Orlando without service, would certainly not sit well with whatever Amtrak has for an LD marketing initiative nowadays.
  by Finch

not spending gazillions on pie in the sky high speed planning that won't ever get built.
Is Amtrak actually spending gazillions on said planning? My impression is that Amtrak generally sticks to more doable projects like this one in Florida, because their modest budget forces their initiatives to be realistic in scope. All the "pie in the sky" high speed rail projects that I hear about are planned by private entities or regional commissions, not Amtrak.
  by Narr8rdanny

High-Speed rail is gonna happen in Florida. Maybe sooner, maybe later.It will be Tampa - Orlando - Miami. Possibly to Jax after that.
It doesn't mean that conventional rail won't play a part, but HSR is going to happen.

Danny Harmon
Tampa
  by hi55us

Narr8rdanny wrote:High-Speed rail is gonna happen in Florida. Maybe sooner, maybe later.It will be Tampa - Orlando - Miami. Possibly to Jax after that.
It doesn't mean that conventional rail won't play a part, but HSR is going to happen.

Danny Harmon
Tampa
ED: Snarky comment deleted. Facts, people. Dave Becker