• Amtrak Michigan: Wolverine, Blue Water, Pere Marquette

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by buddah

Tadman wrote:How does one get their mits on a radar gun? Are you a cop?
If not a cop he might have done the same thing my younger cousin did , and bought a hot wheels radar gun, it surprisingly works efficiently and effectively on cars and trucks as he used them on both and tested it against a real cops radar gun (my uncle works for the cook county sheriff dept.) It will register up to 99 mph, drawback it does not have the range of a cop radar (few 100 feet vs. a cops 1 mile range). I might have to purchase one to use on trains myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-J2358-Hot- ... B000EHLB0M

CHTT... If the platform is there that was quite fast as (nov 08) I passed through there and there was no signs or inclinations that it was even dream able to use that spot as a station, I now wonder what will Amtrak do for parking ? Im sure the condo company and residents do not want to lease there spaces. Might have been better to buy out the subway shack.
  by Rockingham Racer

Tadman wrote:FAST. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't doubt 79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNgpyYkZ ... L&index=18

This is a video of the 12 hour late 29/49 detouring through NB. It's moving quite fast.

I know they were allowed 79 MPH over the crossing into Grand Beach. From that video, I'd say he was doing about 90.
  by CHTT

It's only a blacktop platform with the rumble strips on a concrete base, with some minimal hardware, so I imagine construction didn't take that long. As I said, I didn't see any light poles, so I imagine that would still have to be added. Some kind of roof over the short canopy would be needed. I believe one of the local condo developers was responsible for funding and promoting the project, so some of that condo development parking might be part of the package.
  by superbad

light poles are in. this station is ready to go apparently NB is waiting on amtrak now..and trains haul through new buffalo, they really do not slow for the long sweeping curve at all..
  by railroaddumdum49

INDOT and the Federal Railroad Adminstration posted the high speed rail initiative preappliction project list in July. The Indiana Gateway Project consists of infrastructure improvements at seven locations on the NSR Chicago Line,and one location on the Amtrak Michigan Line at Porter, IN. The eight projects are designed to provide rail managers with improved operational flexibilty, thus enabling intercity passenger and freight traffic to be routed in a more efficient and fluid manner than is currently possible on this highly congested line segment. Congestion related train delay would be reduced and the intercity passenger service OTP improved. Improvements include; Relocation, reconfiguration, and addition of high-speed crossovers and related signal system improvements, minor rail line additions at two locations achieved by lengthening and rehabilitaion of existing sidings, and the creation of a parallel passing siding. All work, including the minor rail line addtions, will take place within the existing railroad right-of-way. The improvement elements will have independent utility and can be constructed and placed into service on an individual basis, thus providing immediate incremental benefits as full implementation progresses. The Amtrak owned line segment between Porter, IN and New Buffalo has no improvements listed. As a matter of fact, on the Northwest Indiana Planning Commission web-site they have the I-94 bridge replacement project over the Amtrak line listed as "Bridge over Abandoned Railroad, 5.86 miles E of US 20."
  by justalurker66

railroaddumdum49 wrote:As a matter of fact, on the Northwest Indiana Planning Commission web-site they have the I-94 bridge replacement project over the Amtrak line listed as "Bridge over Abandoned Railroad, 5.86 miles E of US 20."
That bridge is over the old Pere Marquette line ... practically at the state line ... east of US20 as I-94 enters Michigan.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.75897 ... &t=h&hl=en

The current Amtrak lines are 1.72 and 2.55 miles to the west along the state line.

The South Shore Line (NICTD) is removing their bridge over the former line (near IN 39) later this year.
  by LIRR272

I believe the speed limit through the area is 79 mph. This is also ITCS terrritory so if all goes well, the speed can go up to 95.
  by BobLI

Todays Detroit Free Press released the tape of the Amtrak train that hit a car going around the gates and killed 5.
After watching the tape I had a huge feeling of grief seeing some one act so stupid driving around the gates.
They even had a video tape from a business that faced the crossing and showed that one as well.
This tape should be used in Operation LIfesaver, insurance course and every Driver Ed class!!
Btw the tape did prove that the gates were down and the engineer was sounding the horn all the way to the crossing.
Heres the link to the article but be warned.. a tremendous waste of life because the driver was an idiot!!
http://www.freep.com/article/20090827/N ... ideo-shows
  by Matt Johnson

Wow, that's awful. I feel for the passengers in the car more than the idiot driver.
  by electricron

It's a shame too many drivers think they don't have to follow traffic laws.

Of course, quad gates or center medians can make it much more difficult for drivers to drive around the gates.
  by MACTRAXX

Bob and everyone: After looking at all 5 clips I feel that this should be shown as part of Operation Lifesaver's effort to educate people on grade crossing safety and
should be shown as an example when train-auto collisions are talked about elsewhere. I remember the slogan "if it's a tie you lose" - exactly my thought here.
My thoughts are with the Engineer and crew involved - it happened so fast as the video shows - and was they mentioned in the DFP and media?
MACTRAXX
  by gprimr1

I feel bad for the passengers in the white suv too. Imagine that happening right in front of them.

I hope that this becomes standard in all trains. Despite the trajedy here, someone will be looking for someone to pay, and without the video, lawyers could attack Amtrak, but there's pretty much no argueing after that video.

Sad what our world has become.
  by matawanaberdeen

What happens to the Engineer in this situation? What I mean is I know it was NOT his fault but does he get like a certain amount of paid time off to regroup or get some sort of mental help if needed? He must have felt just awful. I really feel for the Engineer because he really couldn't do anything and he certainly didn't for the to happen. Sad all the way around. JC
  by AMTKHawkeye

In cases of vehicle or pedestrian fatalities, Amtrak offers the engineer and conductors each the option to take three days of leave to collect their thoughts. As a new assistant conductor, I haven't yet been involved in a fatal accident, but I have spoken with engineers, and each person handles the situations differently. One notable conversation comes to mind with an engineer I worked with on #3 (SW Chief) -- he said that when he is involved with a suicide, he knows that the person was determined to die, and that removes any burden off of his shoulders, so he just takes the "three day paid vacation"; on the other hand, for cases like this - especially involving children, it does upset him, and he opts to keep working so as to keep his mind occupied and off the accident. (He's been on the road for about 35 years with an exemplary safety record, too).

Amtrak also offers an Employee Assistance Program for its staff, which can be used for both cases like these and for other personal matters at any time.

As for me, I don't know how I will handle it when the time inevitably comes. It was stressful enough, though, to hit an empty car while on the head end of #6 (CA Zephyr), as we didn't learn the car was empty until walking back to investigate.