• Amtrak Michigan: Wolverine, Blue Water, Pere Marquette

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

It's amazing how many tourist and summer people get an Indiana-subsidized ride to their Michigan summer homes on the South Shore. I can't believe Michigan hasn't boosted Pere Marquette service, at least to St. Joseph, as a way of encouraging tourism and visitors. I spent my weekend in Southwest Michigan and it was packed. It seems this might be one of the few revenue generators left in the state...

For that matter, the Blue Water either duplicates Wolverine trains or runs parallel but to the North. Removing that train and giving those funds to the Pere Marquette would likely be the smartest move for Michigan. A reliable Pere Marquette would be a boon to tourists and summer residents.
  by Gilbert B Norman

The Blue Water's main drawing card is of course Lansing, which could be served by a bus transfer to Jackson; not ideal, but WATCHADOO when you are broke. Flint looked wasteland enough for Michael Moore twenty years ago; not sure if I even want to know what it looks like today.

On a Chicago-Akron auto journey via Grand Rapids (Lunch with a Service-buddy) and Detroit during "Pre-9/15" 2008, I was struck how the Michigan Public Radio Network was airing shows themed 'new industries for the new Michigan economy' - this once-mighty industrial State was 'stooping' to the level of attracting handcraft industry and selling bottled water.

But now that tourism is becoming a far more eminent industry (nature is probably quite happy to do without industrial production), I would have to agree with Mr. Dunville that it would be counter productive to whack the Pere Marquette at this time; some advocates might even suggest restoration of the Northern Arrow (a PRR Detroit-Mackinaw City route which even in the '60's hosted in season consists of ten Pullmans).

Finally to close off topic, I wonder how safe is the continued production and airing of "Pure Michigan' radio and TV spots. Hands down, there are the most "classy' ads any State tourism agency has produced; here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ8Sj-ow_wI
  by mtuandrew

I'm sad to see that they're proposing deep cuts, but it makes sense to drop a few of their trains for the moment. Perhaps they'd consider a hybrid Blue Water - Pere Marquette, serving Grand Rapids, Lansing and Port Huron via a CSX - CN routing? Such a service would be slower and more roundabout, but it'd maintain at least one-a-day service to most currently-served Michigan cities with half the equipment.

Mr. Norman and Mr. Dunville: I'd like to see Michigan consider not only expanded Pere Marquette service and a Northern Arrow from Toledo north to Petoskey, MI (now the bitter end of the PRR's Grand Rapids and Indiana), but a Peninsular 400 in conjunction with Wisconsin, from Chicago through Green Bay to Escanaba and Marquette. Of course, Wisconsin isn't exactly adding trains by the bushel either, but if anything Upper Michigan is even more dependent on tourism than the Mitt below, and an all-weather service to da UP could be well appreciated, eh?
  by Tadman

While I like the idea of a Northern Arrow, the Grand Rapids-Traverse City segment would be over slow track with fast roads in parallel. The same applies to Upper Peninsula service. But as the South Shore trains show, fast tracks and highly crowded parallel interstates between Chicago and Michigan City lead to well-patronized trains. The same holds true for the first 20-30 miles of Michigan shoreline. I experienced crowded highways and interstates this weekend and witnessed packed South Shore and Amtrak PM trains, both picking up and dropping off passengers in Beverly Shores, Michigan City, and New Buffalo. With the CSX/Pere Marquette line as quiet as it is these days, I don't think it would be hard to add another train up the shore with at least seasonal service.
  by buddah

great article Mr Gilbert.......

the part that really got me pissed is the comment made by "Ken Braun" QUOTE: "Amtrak, It is one of the luxuries we should have gotten rid of a long time ago." WHO IS THIS GUY ? I believe the editor and writer at AP just found the most idiotic, narrow minded, buffoon of a policy analyst around. Obviously he must drive a fancy SUV ( probably Hummer) supplied free of charge by the failing GM. Such a narrow minded statement would only come from those born with a "silver spoon" in there mouth. Never knowing that in some areas there are no other options for transportation. When someone phases him out, and he losses his car and his job Id like to see his position on public transportation then.
  by Tadman

Seconded on all counts, I take NICTD and drive to my place in Sawyer. I've seen no platform construction in New Buffalo.
  by buddah

mrconductor55 wrote:I've seen no sign of a new station being built there
Hello Mr. C I will see you in a few weeks. I too saw no signs of any construction in the area last time I briefly visited the area (nov 08), Also from google street view that Mr Norman has provided Id like to know where would they build a station as the area around that section of track is currently occupied by new condo/townhouse, there springing up left and right. If it does come into existence It would be more so a platform without even an Amshack, unless they plan to buy out Subway and the small vacant lot next to it, I just cant see it.
  by Gilbert B Norman

With enough "locals" noting their first hand observations here, might we conclude that this station project is somewhere between back burnered and dead?

Might Amtrak be best served if their "service to begin...TBA" notation is withdrawn from the Public Timttables?
  by Tadman

I would agree, I'm not counting on seeing a train stop there for any time soon. God forbid the state steps in and helps, as it's one of the few economically viable parts of Michigan these days.
  by CHTT

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. I was in New Buffalo last week and the platform has been installed just west of Whitaker Street. The yellow "rumble" strips are installed, along with the skeleton of a small waiting spot although there's no roof on it. There didn't seem to be any lighting installed yet. The platform is very short, probably couldn't accommodate more than two cars. It looks like a small parking area would be available adjacent to the platform in a condo parking lot. It looks like it could be ready just in time for the end of the summer season.
  by Rockingham Racer

As a former port-time resident of Grand Beach, I never had the opportunity to see the Detroit trains go thru New Buffalo. Anyone know what the speed limit is over N. Whittaker?