• Amtrak Michigan: Wolverine, Blue Water, Pere Marquette

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

Bart78 wrote:Why can you hear the engine noise, the horn, and the impact but not hear any crew interaction or radio traffic?
I wondered the same - I figured the camera was maybe mounted on the roof rather than in the cab.
  by matawanaberdeen

I wonder what the Engineer said and was saying after? JC
  by Railjunkie

Bart78 wrote:Why can you hear the engine noise, the horn, and the impact but not hear any crew interaction or radio traffic?

The camera is there to record any incident that may happen, they are not there to record crew conversations inside the cab. All radio transmissions are taped, the crew interaction was muted. Ive seen tapes pulled for another type incident were a Amtrak train hit a landslide and you could hear the engineer call back to the train crew to hold on.
  by gprimr1

It looked to me like the truck did run the gate, but it also looks like he did take the time to determine the train had stopped. He probably also saw the wreck.
  by justalurker66

Railjunkie wrote:
The camera is there to record any incident that may happen, they are not there to record crew conversations inside the cab. All radio transmissions are taped, the crew interaction was muted. Ive seen tapes pulled for another type incident were a Amtrak train hit a landslide and you could hear the engineer call back to the train crew to hold on.
So ... in the minute following the accident there was no radio communication?

BTW: IIRC the main crew complaint about cameras is recording casual conversation. It is good to know that they have some privacy.

100% of the trains on my favorite railroad (NICTD South Shore) have cameras. Tonight one caught a moron that got away going around gates. Impatient people.
  by Bart78

Railjunkie wrote:

Thanks for the answer - figured it was something like that.
  by DutchRailnut

The outward facing camera's only record outside the cab (horn - bell -outside screams etc) radio conversation is taped at the Control points (interlockings)
  by Ken W2KB

DutchRailnut wrote:The outward facing camera's only record outside the cab (horn - bell -outside screams etc) radio conversation is taped at the Control points (interlockings)
Does NTSB/FRA eventually release to the public the radio conversation tapes like the NTSB/FAA does for aircraft accidents? (They are on the FAA website)
  by DutchRailnut

only if NTSB does an investigation, a crossing incident is not a NTSB r FRA matter, unless there is something wrong with crossing or procedures.
Its reportable to FRA , but does not warrant a investigation other than by Railroad.
  by Finch

Quick question once again...are those the dynamics screaming as the train stops?

It certainly is sobering to see how long it takes for the train to visibly begin slowing down, knowing that it was dumped at or slightly before impact.
  by DutchRailnut

The Emergency application was around 2 seconds after impact, and yes those are Blended( dynamic) brakes screaming away.
  by matawanaberdeen

I got another question for you. What is it like for the passengers through this? They feel the impact? Do they feel the train slow down very fast? Do they hear the engine scream with the brakes applied the way they are? JC
  by Railjunkie

matawanaberdeen wrote:I got another question for you. What is it like for the passengers through this? They feel the impact? Do they feel the train slow down very fast? Do they hear the engine scream with the brakes applied the way they are? JC

In a word yes you feel everthing and can hear quite a bit depending on were you are on the train. If you were standing up it could knock you down when the air dumped.
  by DutchRailnut

Emergency braking only get you about 20% more brake than max service brake, hardly noticable for passengers.
Just as you stop its a little rough as engineer can not smoothen the final stop.
  by Ken W2KB

DutchRailnut wrote:only if NTSB does an investigation, a crossing incident is not a NTSB r FRA matter, unless there is something wrong with crossing or procedures.
Its reportable to FRA , but does not warrant a investigation other than by Railroad.
Thanks!