• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by artman

Hamhock wrote:One local crank writing an op-ed is not indicative of much.
Especially when he claims 'fraud and abuse' has occurred, but gives absolutely no proof.
  by TRNE

The OPEGA investigation, to which he refers, gave NNEPRA a clean bill of health. Personal vendettas die slowly.
  by markhb

Arborwayfan wrote:Ten million bucks would probably also modify Portland AND Brunswick stations to allow buses to drive right up to the platform for wicked easy transfers to guaranteed-connection buses, one for Lewiston and one for Rockland. Trunk-and-branch. Now were to find the money for an extra coach for each train to hold the hypothetical two buses full of new pax.
That actually wouldn't be hard in Brunswick due to the long platform. Portland would be harder because of the hill.

TRNE and / or GO'Keefe, was there a NNEPRA Board Meeting last week (the 23rd)? I don't see a packet on the NNEPRA website nor a story on the TRNE website.
  by johnpbarlow

As of Saturday 4/28/18, on the NS at Binghamton, there was an eb revenue welded rail train 60Q (NS welded rail work train would be in the 9xx symbol range) comprised of cars with CWRX reporting marks. A poster says the train is headed for Maine Central so perhaps this is a rail for the new Royal Junction siding?

Facebook link to the posting:
https://www.facebook.com/tom.bomb.33/vi ... ater&ifg=1
  by TRNE

markhb wrote:
Arborwayfan wrote:
TRNE and / or GO'Keefe, was there a NNEPRA Board Meeting last week (the 23rd)? I don't see a packet on the NNEPRA website nor a story on the TRNE website.
No NNEPRA board meeting this month. At the Operations Meeting held is Exeter last week, Ms Quinn noted several construction projects for the fall - work on the small bridge over the Saco River at Main Street as well as replacing the crossing. That’s expected to be a 2-week effort in the fall. Trains will use Wells as it northern terminus - passengers will be bused north/south along the Brunswick route. Also, another 15,000 ties will be installed between Wells and Dover, NH.
  by TRNE

From Brian Beeler at NNEPRA - no weekend service to Woburn starting May 12th.
Downeaster Service Weekend Schedule Change
Effective May 12 - 27, 2018

Due to track work being performed by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), the Downeaster trains shown below will not stop at Woburn on Saturdays and Sundays, beginning May 12.

Southbound Trains 690, 692, 694, 696 and 698 and northbound Trains 691, 693, 695, 697 and 699 will detour between Boston North Station and Haverhill and will not stop at Woburn.

Alternate transportation will not be provided to or from Woburn.
  by BandA

So Anderson & TRNE are openly feuding? How does that affect NNEPRA & the Downeaster? Should they be looking for a new operator such as PanAM?
  by MEC407

"Feuding" implies that there's a back-and-forth between the two of them. All I see here is an editorial written by Wayne Davis that is critical of Anderson. Unless Anderson has also written or talked about Wayne Davis publicly, that's not a feud.
  by TomNelligan

Amtrak is showing a cancellation of midday trains 683 and 684 on Tuesday and Wednesday of this coming week due to Pan Am track work. Is this in connection with the Royal Jct. siding project?
  by Dick H

From NNEPRA
Work is at Plaistow NH.
  by Rockingham Racer

MBTA service extension work? :P
  by Trinnau

I'm hearing switch replacement of the single-to-double track switch at Plaistow to eliminate speed restrictions. One can dream though!
  by benboston

Rockingham Racer wrote:MBTA service extension work? :P
I think that I would've heard about this, or it would at least be on the MBTA website.