• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:04 pm
STrRedWolf wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:04 am Read: We're putting newer equipment up there and swapping out stuff that's near end-of-life so we can get ready to scrap it.
Or sell them to Mexico for another 20 years of service?
Only the Budd equipment, because Budd don't break.
  by charlesriverbranch

I saw a Horizon car sitting at the Brunswick Amtrak facility just now. So, how did it get there? If it came off 448, did CSX haul it to Brunswick from Worcester?
  by STrRedWolf

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:09 pm I saw a Horizon car sitting at the Brunswick Amtrak facility just now. So, how did it get there? If it came off 448, did CSX haul it to Brunswick from Worcester?
CSX wouldn't because it would of required running on a short line between Worcester and Ayer. Most likely they ran it by MIT on the Grand Junction branch.

Quick, someone run a geiger counter over it, see if the mad lads had some nuclear experiments going on. :grinning:
  by charlesriverbranch

There are two more Horizon cars sitting at Portland as part of a short train consisting of the two Horizons, an Amfleet coach, a locomotive, and a cabbage.
  by dowlingm

I thought Horizons didn’t like snow much? Doesn’t the Downeaster route get some?
  by theMainer

dowlingm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:15 pm I thought Horizons didn’t like snow much? Doesn’t the Downeaster route get some?
They are kept in a heated facility when not in use so freezing shouldn't be an issue.
  by CSRR573

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:09 pm I saw a Horizon car sitting at the Brunswick Amtrak facility just now. So, how did it get there? If it came off 448, did CSX haul it to Brunswick from Worcester?
48/448 to Southampton st, from Southampton to the MBTA northside/Maine via (usually) late night Amtrak extra over the grand junction. The crew from Maine usually gets to Southampton around 930pm
  by theMainer

CSRR573 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:27 pm
48/448 to Southampton st, from Southampton to the MBTA northside/Maine via (usually) late night Amtrak extra over the grand junction. The crew from Maine usually gets to Southampton around 930pm
Would this normally happen on nights when the Event Night train is running (1689 instead of 689/699) which would allow for the non-revenue cars to be attached to the last train going north?
  by NH2060

dowlingm wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:15 pm I thought Horizons didn’t like snow much? Doesn’t the Downeaster route get some?
After enduring so many brutally harsh Midwest winters for 30 years I think they’ll be able to handle the winters of coastal Maine without a problem even if they weren’t kept in the train shed overnight.

Only time will tell if the Venture/AIRO cars hold up as well.
  by CSRR573

theMainer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:04 am
CSRR573 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:27 pm
Would this normally happen on nights when the Event Night train is running (1689 instead of 689/699) which would allow for the non-revenue cars to be attached to the last train going north?
That I cant answer for you. When i go on duty at 4pm, I'm told there's a Maine move tonight and what is being brought down for repair/pm and what's getting sent up there.
  by MBTAVideoClips

They generally run the "Portland Extra" (as some call it) as it's own train I believe, though I have seen it run attached to the back of a Downeaster.