• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ExCon90

bubbytrains wrote:
dgvrengineer wrote:I have always thought that we should get rid of flashers and or gates and put up regular traffic lights. As you say, people are more likely to stop at stop lights than RR crossing lights.
People seems to think that red flashing lights are "optional" or "I can go if I think it's clear." A standard red, solid, not-flashing traffic light is viewed (by most anyways) as "I HAVE to stop, and wait, no matter how long, even if I am inconvenienced and upset."
I think that's a big part of the problem. Most states' vehicle codes specify that flashing red means "Stop and Proceed."
Of course they also say to stop for flashing red at railroad crossings, but who's reading?
  by gokeefe

Agreed here as well. Even just a red lens burning steady would seem to be more helpful. Or ... to save on effort ... eliminate the flashing for the warning lights but leave the gate lights flashing. Or just have them all running steady. Another alternative would be to have the lights flash until the gates come down (or for non-gated crossing flash for an initial 3 seconds) and then switch to steady.
  by ExCon90

It might be time for a change, considering that the original reason for having alternately flashing lights was to represent the back-and-forth movement of a red lantern by the crossing watchman standing in the street, which is what motorists were used to at the time.
  by mtuandrew

How about we just insist that state DOTs install mock railroad crossings for drivers’ test stations? Grade crossing incidents are common enough that it’s bizarre they don’t test students for it.

Just a thought for anyone involved with OLI.
  by Cowford

BDN article on the Rockland extension proposal:
The tentative schedule begins on Fridays, with a train departing Boston at 5 p.m., arriving in Rockland at 10:10 p.m., before departing Rockland at 10:20 p.m., and arriving back in Boston (sic) at 12:15 a.m. On Saturdays and Sundays, two trains would make the trip to Rockland, with the first leaving Brunswick at 7:50 a.m. arriving in Rockland at 9:45 a.m., before departing for Boston with a 3:30 p.m. arrival time. The second train would leave Boston at 9:45 a.m., arriving in Rockland at 3:10 p.m., then departing for Boston with a 9:30 p.m. arrival time.
Rockland arrivals: Fri 2210, Sat/Sun 0945 (serving Brunswick east only) and 1510
Rockland departures: Sat/Sun ~1020 and ~1620

There's that problematic 1700 BON departure.

Interesting that they'd deadhead back to BRU Friday night, only to turn around and run back first thing (maybe to keep train sets in cycle or anticipate some Maine-based day/weekend trippers?)

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/01/25/b ... ast-maine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Rockingham Racer

I wonder if there'll be any packages with the Samoset Inn. Bring you wallet, if they do.
  by swist

Another little thing - the Rockland station is very convenient to downtown and the waterfront park (lobster festival), but it's over a 1/2 mile from the ferry terminal, not a big deal unless you're carrying luggage which you might be if you were going to one of the islands. I do this periodically from the Brunswick area and to not have to use a car anywhere in the trip would be wonderful. Some sort of shuttle service?
  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:Interesting that they'd deadhead back to BRU Friday night, only to turn around and run back first thing (maybe to keep train sets in cycle or anticipate some Maine-based day/weekend trippers?)
By the end of 2018 all servicing will be done in Brunswick. They have to get the trainset back to the barn for the night. Obviously the BDN article as quoted has typos. The trains are heading back to Brunswick not Boston.

The proposed schedule represents a "worst-case" scenario in terms of transit times from Brunswick to Rockland. They fully intend to utilize the line to specification.
  by MEC407

swist wrote:Another little thing - the Rockland station is very convenient to downtown and the waterfront park (lobster festival), but it's over a 1/2 mile from the ferry terminal, not a big deal unless you're carrying luggage which you might be if you were going to one of the islands. I do this periodically from the Brunswick area and to not have to use a car anywhere in the trip would be wonderful. Some sort of shuttle service?
Good question.

Uber and Lyft aren't available in Rockland; is there a local taxi company up there? I did a Google search but only found taxi companies in Rockport and Owl's Head. There's a limo service in Rockland but that seems like overkill for a 0.5 mile trip. :wink:
  by Red Wing

For me I want to see a car rental option in Rockland at the station. I don't want to go to the airport to pick up my rental.
  by gokeefe

The taxi companies on Rockport and Owls Head almost certainly serve Rockland. No big deal there.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car has an office nearby in Thomaston. It's not the best but at least it's close. If you're going to bother with renting a car this option would probably work just fine anyways.

Many hotels would have shuttles.
  by Dick H

Rockland might consider a seasonal trolley operation like many of the
Maine towns along the seacoast operate, such as Ogunquit, Wells, etc.
The loop could even run up to Rockport and south to Owl's Head every
other trip, while frequent service in Rockland itself to include the train
station and the ferry terminal.
  by Cosakita18

A small gripe:

I really dislike how this is being marketed as a "tourist / excursion train" (seen that a few times in various media)

I feel like that belittles the role of the DE and adds fuel to the fire for people who think of the train as little more than a taxpayer funded tourist attraction.
  by MEC407

Dick H wrote:Rockland might consider a seasonal trolley operation like many of the
Maine towns along the seacoast operate, such as Ogunquit, Wells, etc.
The loop could even run up to Rockport and south to Owl's Head every
other trip, while frequent service in Rockland itself to include the train
station and the ferry terminal.
I was thinking the exact same thing. :-)
  by Cowford

A little more on the anticipated schedule:

FRI PM Eastbound: works for weekenders, but there is a capacity limitation due 1700 BON departure and train requires 60-mile deadhead
SAT AM Eastbound: starts at BRU, so attractive only to a few Maine-based overnighters and day-trippers (most of whom would have to leave their homes before 0700- rule out families); otherwise a deadhead
SAT AM Westbound: Other than possibly folks returning from an extended stay, train will only serve a few locals wanting to go west.
SAT PM Eastbound: may be attractive to a small segment of MA/NH overnighters (Very small. How many people will travel up to 6 hrs or more each way for an overnight trip?)
SAT PM Westbound: return of the few Maine daytrippers and a few more of the extended stay folks. Otherwise virtually empty.
SUN AM Eastbound: starts at BRU, see Sat AM EB
SUN AM Westbound: Some early weekender returns?
SUN PM Eastbound: may be attractive to Mid-Coast residents who went west the day before, otherwise...
SUN PM Westbound: return of the flatlanders

This service is reortedly designed for flatlanders, correct? For them, there would be only only three EB options per week. Friday's will have extremely limited capacity; Saturday's is largely only practical for week-long stays (given the transit time), and Sunday's precludes anything but a week-long stay. The longer the stay, the greater a tourist's desire would be to have a car. And they augment those three eastbounds with twice the number of westbounds. This will be the empty-seat express.

Who's willing to place a friendly over/under bet on 2018 ridership? :-)