• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Matt Johnson

For that matter, are we going to renumber mileposts where accidents have occurred? Clearly it can be carried to the point of absurdity.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Johnson, all here know I'm a regular Auto Train rider with twenty three "voyages" to date. The last time I was on another Amtrak train was 2012.

Especially now that I am "less Luddite" than in the past (I even have and use an app titled Marco Polo), whenever Mr. Google says AT is near Crescent City, I DO take note.
  by andrewjw

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Johnson, all here know I'm a regular Auto Train rider with twenty three "voyages" to date. The last time I was on another Amtrak train was 2012.

Especially now that I am "less Luddite" than in the past (I even have and use an app titled Marco Polo), whenever Mr. Google says AT is near Crescent City, I DO take note.
I think it is pretty clear to all that your anecdote does not provide meaningful insight into what would be observed by an average train rider, given your past experiences and affinity.
  by Matt Johnson

I still think about Chase, MD 1987 every time I cross over the Gunpowder River on Amtrak. But the reality is that there are a million tragedies large and small written into the history of ordinary places we pass every day.
  by gokeefe

The recent cold snap has been one of the coldest periods on record in the Northeast since the Sprinters arrived at Amtrak.

How are they handling the cold weather? How does it compare to the AEM-7s, HHP-8s or E60s?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. O'Keefe, here is a major delay that "might or might not" be attributed to an ACS-64 (Horizion's normally assigned to this train just "love" the cold):

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=160547&start=645#p1456832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ApproachMedium

That delay on the Vermonter had to do with a building fire in newark taking out the catenary. Many other trains were stranded under dead wire on 1 and 2 track, not just train 54. The cold has had zero effect on the ACS performance. The only problem with these in the snow is the way that ice/snow builds up on the undercarriage eventually will cause tripping of the dragging detectors. Something that can and will happen with almost any type of railroad equipment and is not necessarily an issue with their design.

A somebody who has to be in the cab these things stay nice and toasty in the cold weather vs the AEM-7s where you froze while moving and cooked while standing because of the massive amount of drafts.
  by 8th Notch

The units have been very reliable in both extreme hot and cold to date, they are still new so the jury is out on long term but for now I think there have been few catastrophic failures. I’ve only rescued 1 with a compressor failure and the other I had the coupling gear box fail which doesn’t criple the unit fully.
  by gokeefe

That's great to hear. The improved cab conditions are helpful on multiple levels to include reducing exhaustion from dehydration and fatigue.
  by ApproachMedium

The temps may be okay but the seats ARE THE WORST SEATS EVER. They have no suspension from the floor movement and are absolute destruction on your back with our rough american trackage. They might be good in germany, but they are just absolute hell here in America.
  by gokeefe

That's really surprising. I would have imagined they would have had air suspension.
  by ApproachMedium

LOL air suspension. Nothing we have ever had, has had air suspension. The acela seats have some kind of spring in them which helps, but when they bottom out it also helps jam your knee right into the exposed metal bottom of the brake lever. What a load of garbage.

AEM-7 seats had no air or springs but the cushion was very thick and absorbed a lot of impact.
  by dowlingm

ApproachMedium wrote:The temps may be okay but the seats ARE THE WORST SEATS EVER. They have no suspension from the floor movement and are absolute destruction on your back with our rough american trackage. They might be good in germany, but they are just absolute hell here in America.
Could just adopt German trackage standards of course :-D :-D :-D :-D
  by Nasadowsk

dowlingm wrote:Could just adopt German trackage standards of course
That wouldn't be such a bad idea - after all, the passengers don't get super nice bouncy pogo seats either.

Granted, an Amfleet at 125 rides worse than a Harley at 125. I don't know how that's possible, but it is.
  by DutchRailnut

you mean the Harley doing 125 :-) :-) :-)