• Amherst Show - January 29 & 30

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by steemtrayn

I showered, but I do apologize for the flatulence.
  by Otto Vondrak

Another excellent show by the ARS folks, and remember, when you buy a ticket, you support the ARS grant program, which in turn supports museums and restoration projects around the region! No gripes about the parking cost, that is taken in by the Big E and has nothing to do with ARS. Wider aisles made browsing easier, for sure. Wish I could have escaped my booth more often, but nice to meet everyone who came by to say hello! Fortunately, no one had to be Lysol'd (I had a small can in my pocket and was waiting for an opportunity).

-otto-
  by Eliphaz

call me low brow, but I just love beer and bratwurst at the Big E ! :D
  by lexon

I took some Beano before eating meals.. It worked.

Rich
  by Otto Vondrak

Eliphaz wrote:call me low brow, but I just love beer and bratwurst at the Big E ! :D
I'm in the same boat, I grabbed a quick beer and dog at lunch on Saturday... Don't know why I didn't think of that years ago!

-otto-
  by dcm74

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Eliphaz wrote:call me low brow, but I just love beer and bratwurst at the Big E ! :D
I'm in the same boat, I grabbed a quick beer and dog at lunch on Saturday... Don't know why I didn't think of that years ago!

-otto-
Probably because you weren't old enough to legally buy a beer.
  by Otto Vondrak

dcm74 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:

-otto-
Probably because you weren't old enough to legally buy a beer.
Actually, I've been of age since I started attending the show 11 years ago (if you must know)! :-) Taking a break mid-show is always a good idea...

-otto-
  by kjd73170

it was a great show!

I have one observation though, I remember there used to be a lot more in the way of deals - Prices of new/NOS pieces below MSRP on items at the show. Not by a dollar or 2 but by 25% or more. I understand these dealers are in it to make money, but as I see it if you're not paying the overhead for a retail store (yes I know some of the dealers are) shouldn't your prices reflect that somewhat? If it's old stock, it'll never make ANY money for you if you need to pack it up at the end of the show right? This is something I saw at Springfield but is more prevalent at smaller shows (Like Middletown this past weekend). Then again I do only run/collect certain things so my radar is in tune for my list and I did see some GREAT deals on items I could not use on my layout.

Then again, as shows go Springfield did not disappoint.

And yes, I came home with a bag of goodies and a thank yous from Visa and AMEX.
  by JDFCLK96

And I thought you were just happy to see me!
Otto Vondrak wrote:(I had a small can in my pocket and was waiting for an opportunity).

-otto-
  by Eliphaz

kjd73170 wrote:it was a great show!

I have one observation though, I remember there used to be a lot more in the way of deals - Prices of new/NOS pieces below MSRP on items at the show. Not by a dollar or 2 but by 25% or more. I understand these dealers are in it to make money, but as I see it if you're not paying the overhead for a retail store (yes I know some of the dealers are) shouldn't your prices reflect that somewhat? If it's old stock, it'll never make ANY money for you if you need to pack it up at the end of the show right? This is something I saw at Springfield but is more prevalent at smaller shows (Like Middletown this past weekend). Then again I do only run/collect certain things so my radar is in tune for my list and I did see some GREAT deals on items I could not use on my layout.

Then again, as shows go Springfield did not disappoint.

And yes, I came home with a bag of goodies and a thank yous from Visa and AMEX.
I agree, there werent many bargains or impressive discounters.
  by 3rdrail

I miss that also. Less bargains, fewer odd-ball vendors selling used and one of a kind stuff, more full-time companies now selling their stuff. As you walked around the floors previously you would hear, one right after another, "would you take...". You hardly hear that anymore, and if you do, the vendor says a flat "no" and looks at you with disdain. Personally, I love the West Springfield show, but I love it for what it has become, missing what it was. My particular interest lies in the odd-ball purchase that is usually one-of-a-kind that I find is getting harder and harder to find. As far as retailers selling new stuff at SRP, I think that that's a mistake. If I'm going to drive over an hour to a place that I have to walk around all day, get my hood ornament stolen from my car, and wind up paying the same as I would sitting right where I am at this very moment, I'll do my shopping via computer.
  by kjd73170

Don't get me wrong, the vendors were there selling the "oddball" items, balsa structures, pre-built kits, custom painted items, brass, etc... But my worry for this is that like high rail, all other scales are falling into the "limited quantity" or "special release" category of shopping. Remember when Atlas or Bachmann released a locomotive, they were in their catalog for years. Now Micro-Trains or BLI releases an item "For a limited time" creating an instant collector's market for boxcars and locomotives, 2 things I know I need to populate my layout. Don't get me wrong they make nice stuff, but it's not a brass release.

Now as far as bargains, I remember cruising through the hall on Sunday saying "Look I'll offer you (insert fair price) for this or you can pack it up and take it home" and getting a great deal on items (Loksound equipped DCC locomotives at 40% off to name an example). That wasn't really happening the last few years.

Even the smaller shows (Edison NJ, Middletown NY, etc...) have become flooded with vendors that either are:
A - charging full MSRP for items, making me regret the 6-9 bucks I spent going into the show when I could have called my hobby shop and just ordered it from them, saving me the entry fee. or
B - are under the delusion that because it's old - it rare and collectible. Therefore it's worth it's weight in platinum. For example - N scale Alco PA units (I'm an N scaler) were built by Kato 15-20 years ago and were made by the hundreds of thousands. Now the item is off Kato's books for years but because it's old sellers think they can charge a premium. Yes they look good and run great, but charging $125 for an A-B or A-A set of those is ridiculous.

Yes there are alternatives (ebay, etc) But I see it as most of the vendors are selling brand new/NOS items near or at MSRP and anyone with the odd or "out of production items" is charging a premium because of the "rarity" of items mass produced but off the catalogs for a few years.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one hit by this.
  by 3rdrail

It's a trend that really needs to be addressed for everyone's sake - both the model railroaders and the manufacturers. The shows, especially the big ones like this one, are a great advertisement for the hobby - better than they could get from five minutes during the Superbowl on TV. However, with the advent of the computer, I can now sit in the comfort of my home with scotch and cigar in hand, and relax and look at a model from all six sides on my screen - from multiple dealer's sites and Ebay, with the added advantage of being able to "bargain" through price comparison. If I'm going to see the same stuff and pay the same price at a show, the computer is going to be my show. The only thing missing from this equation is the "serendipity factor" of stumbling onto something great that I had no knowledge of or didn't expect. So, my point is if the shows are going to price and start displaying the same stuff available to me already without a large "serendipity factor", everbody loses.
  by lexon

I have found the show over the years to be very nice. Once in a while I might find a treasure but the last three to four years my LHS has been the Internet. Ebay or about a dozen different on line shops I now use. I can often find good deals by careful searching and shopping.
There is a fully equipped brick and motor store about 15 miles from where I live that once in a while I find something. I use them for detail parts occasionally.

A retired fellow in our club does DCC installs in his house for the shop.

This is 2011 and things are evolving which some modelers have difficulty with.
Atlas taking over Branchline is just one example. A lot of model railroad stuff bing made in China is another.

Rich
  by Eliphaz

the highlight of the show for me was meeting Richard L Stoving and having him inscribe in my copy of "Boston and Albany Steam Power" . what a fine gentleman to chat with about the NYC era, I adore his books.
I also bought a big stack of back issues of "the Central Headlight" from him.