• Amherst Show - January 29 & 30

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by MNRR New Haven Line

LOL, No worries Otto, I shower twice daily. Maybe you can give me a heads up, I'm in the hunt for a Broadway Limited HO K-4 or I1sa, can you recommend reputable vendor or do you think that they will have them at the Boradway Limited display?

Thanks...
OJ
  by Otto Vondrak

MNRR New Haven Line wrote:LOL, No worries Otto, I shower twice daily. Maybe you can give me a heads up, I'm in the hunt for a Broadway Limited HO K-4 or I1sa, can you recommend reputable vendor or do you think that they will have them at the Boradway Limited display?

Thanks...
OJ
Broadway Limited is probably a good place to start. They will let you know what vendors at the show will carry their products.
  by dcm74

lexon wrote:West Springfield CSX yard nearby but you would need your own vehicle.

There is typical food inside and a Duncan Donuts coffee stand in the Better Living Center building.
ATM also but the line can get long.

AREA INFO

http://www.valleyvisitor.com/

Nearby Mall.
http://www.holyokemall.com/

Yankee Candle South Deerfield MA off of Rt 91.
http://tinyurl.com/4lyn9lh

Rt 90, Mass Turnpike and Rt 91 major links east, west, North, South.

Google searches will give you a lot of local info. This area is called the Western Mass Pioneer Valley.

Rich
Another site specifically for Northampton: http://www.explorenorthampton.com/visitor/whattodo.htm
  by 3rdrail

Any adults heading to Northampton, don't miss The Tunnel Bar (my favorite bar design) made out of the old Northampton Union Station's subway under the main concourse. It's absolutely breathtaking and worth the trip alone, even if you want to sit and sip club soda and just enjoy the ambiance.

http://www.unionstationrestaurant.com/d ... .php?lv=10
  by dedm30junk

Where is the best place to park and avoid the heavy traffic in the area.
  by dcm74

dedm30junk wrote:Where is the best place to park and avoid the heavy traffic in the area.
You really have to pay the Big E their $5 and park on the grounds. If you park anywhere else it's a long, cold walk.
  by lexon

Forget parking any where else. Lots of snow on the street sides. Even if you could park on the street, the walk will be about as long as parking on the grounds. I have lived in this area most of my life and I know what parking there is like.
Do a Google Maps search for the area and see what it all looks like. Use the Satellite option.

Latest update from the Weather Channel site for this weekend is attached.

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Steve Wagner

If you're planning to be at the show all day, let alone both days, make a point of finding someplace to sit down for a while, if only while you eat. There used to be a smallish set of bleachers in the middle of the Better Living Center when clinics were given there; I don't think they were there last year. When the Bridge Line Historical Society had a table at the show, I'd spend several hours there trying to recruit new members and getting a good break; but the BLHS no longer has a table there.

If you haven't been to the show that several years, take it from me that although (and because) the show now uses four buildings (at least), it feels markedly less crowded than it used to, because the local public safety authorities insisted that the aisles be made wider.
  by lexon

This morning. From the website of a TV station in Springfield, MA,

Saturday: Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow showers. Coating-2" possible.

Highs: 28-32

Sunday: Mostly sunny.

Highs: 24-28

Rich
  by SW1200R

Otto Vondrak wrote:FYI if you have never been to this show. You will need all day to visit it. Not the venue for gf's or so's or strollers. This is not an exaggeration.

ALSO, SHOW CONSIDERATION FOR YOUR FELLOW ATTENDEE AND TAKE A SHOWER BEFORE YOU COME TO THIS SHOW OR I WILL DOUSE YOU IN LYSOL.
Its get's pretty bad at times between the BO and Flatulence....LOL
  by Otto Vondrak

dedm30junk wrote:Where is the best place to park and avoid the heavy traffic in the area.
Not possible! Just park at the show and enjoy it!
  by lexon

LIttle late.

There is never any heavy traffic at this time of year. Some of us know a back way into the fairgrounds anyway.

Great day Saturday. Today ought to be another great day.

The train show people have really improved getting tickets. I arrived about 9:30 am Saturday and in the past there would be maybe thirty people waiting to buy tickets. There were maybe six people in line that morning.

Rich
  by 3rdrail

Yes. I have seen tremendous improvements over the past few years. No more getting close and personal with Mr. Bo D. Eudore due to the fact that you're crammed in like a sardine. The WSFD's opening up the aisle's is the reason for that. No more long lines that take 1/2 hour to buy tix, due to the show's numerous tix booths. As far as the show's organization is concerned, I realize that they're dealing with a lot of cars, but I think that they should organize parking a bit better, even if it means opening up available open buildings (I assume they must have them, with the presence of livestock shows out there, right ?) I saw a guy, who was obviously handicapped (looked like extreme MS) having to hobble from a far distant corner of one of the lots to get to the Stroh building, due to the fact that all the handicapped parking nearer the buildings were all full. As far as inside, I've noticed what seems to be a subtle change that I percieve and miss. It seems to be more of a show of established company's as opposed to individuals selling off a collection or persons selling interesting one-of-kind items. I miss those dealers, and were the ones that I found most interesting, the likes of the T farebox guy, the horsecar bell guy, and the O-figures lady who expertly paints them herself. Still, great improvements, but it could go a little further.
  by MNRR New Haven Line

Just got back from the show. Being my first time I found it well organized, did not wait too long to buy the ticket, As far as the parking, it is what it is, Was impressed with the amount of vendors and sellers, I was able to find the Broadway Limited I1sa, and YES, Otto not only did I take a shower, but I also shaved!! Looking forward to next year's show and hopefully the weather won't be so harsh.

Be well All....
OJ
  by dcm74

Can't say the weather was really harsh. Almost no wind and some clouds on Sunday morning but otherwise quite bearable. It is January and unlikely to be 70 degrees. Alll parking is handled by the Big E so not a lot of choice in the matter. For the record the total ticketed attendance was 20,459.