Railroad Forums 

• WRECK OF THE REMOTES, STRIKES AGAIN

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#292700  by GN 599

As a locomotive engineer, and an RCO, I can say that as long as there are trains, railroaders will crash them. We have had similar incidents where I work, one crew put went over a derail and buried the switch engine. About a month ago they crashed them into the side of a U.P. train. It all boils down to people not proteting the shove or whatever. I know what job you are talking about Golden Arm. I used to work it before the BNSF leased it out. What places does that guy have to switch. We had two full crew jobs. The ''day'' hauler worked from Eugene to Albany and worked Junction City and switched out the GP at American. The ''night'' hauler used the day jobs power and worked back to Eugene doing the setout at American. We had to switch Harrisburg, Junction City and Awbrey though. A couple of years ago we had an old head engineer come flying out of a track on ''his'' switch engine into the side of the mill job's engine. He would always say 6126 backin up. Well that time he was on the wrong radio channel and he ran that SD-9 right into the fuel tank of a GP. It wasnt so bad but then he took off forward and ripped a hole in the side of it spilling about 2,000 gallons of diesel fuel in front of the yard office. Contrary to popular belief engineers are not perfect.....

#292713  by GOLDEN-ARM

It's the Albany/Eugene OE hauler, which happens to do all of the work, down to Eugene, except for the America work, and the local work, right around Eugene. That hogger who backed up, with just a blurb on the radio, was just as bad as an unprotected remote, that's true. Not every engineer "keeps his head on a swivel", but the competent ones do, and are aware of their surroundings, and the position/location of the guys on the ground, switches and derails, at all times. There most likely will always be one of those "blow and go" guys around, although the strict application of rules enforcement, and efficiency testing, will slowly weed them out, as well. On a different note, Where exactlly is the hack, I want to see? It's not the one from Prineville, is it? Looking to go shoot it, when you give up some more info........... :-D Regards

#293168  by GN 599

A lot of places out west ditched the remote's because the work was'nt getting done. Not so much the case where I work because its a yard on a secondary main. The Northwest on the BNSF is experiencing a shortage of engineer's in general. Three guys where I work just got forced to Vancouver. I dunno where that cab is Golden Arm. I think its hiding somewhere around Prineville. I used to see their GP with the dinner train all the time at Prineville Jct when I worked out of Wishram. The only pics I've seen of it were around Prineville so my guess is it resides there, probably unused. Happy hunting :-D

#293178  by Robert Gift

GN 599 wrote:... I dunno where that cab is Golden Arm. I think its hiding somewhere around Prineville. I used to see their GP with the dinner train all the time at Prineville Jct when I worked out of Wishram. The only pics I've seen of it were around Prineville so my guess is it resides there, probably unused. Happy hunting :-D
If you have time, could you pleasexplain whathe above means?

Thank you,

#293211  by Aji-tater

Golden Arm is interested in the old Lehigh Valley RR. One of their cabooses was sold to the City of Prineville RR in Oregon many years ago. He's trying to find exactly where it is now so he can take a few photos when he gets a chance.

#293213  by Robert Gift

Thanks Tater.
Didn't understand any of that until your perfect explanation.
A comma would also have helped.
Didn't know cab meant caboose.

#293623  by GOLDEN-ARM

Someone here, sent me a PM, a while back, stating there was a Valley Hack, in Portland. The Prineville Crummy is already on file. (chew on those a while, Bob :wink: )

#293636  by Robert Gift

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Someone here, sent me a PM, a while back, stating there was a Valley Hack, in Portland. The Prineville Crummy is already on file. (chew on those a while, Bob :wink: )
English translation:
A Lehigh Valley Railroad dining car is in Portland.
The Prineville caboose is at the end of a line of cars on a siding.

#293682  by GOLDEN-ARM

Bob...Bob...Bob... The Hack, Cab and Crummy, are all one in the same. I am refering to a caboose, I was searching for. No reference to "dining cars", or anything, on the end of a track. Just Waycars, you know? :wink:
Being "on file" means it's already in the database, of recorded LV Shacks. We are trying to locate every surviving LV Doghouse, and I was informed, that one was in the Portland area, which is several hundred miles, from Prineville. Regards, from the Gig-Top!!!

#293697  by Aji-tater

Bob, it might be helpful to Google "Railroad Slang", there are several sites which should help you figure out what is what. Of course even those won't tell you everything. When is a caboose not a caboose? When it's in New England, there it was a buggy. Of course if you go to Canada it's a van. And that train in Pennsylvania may be pulled by 4 units, but out west trains are pulled by motors. On CSX they may tell you to pull in on track 3, but on UP you may wind up on 3 rail. Simple, huh?

#293913  by Robert Gift

Well, it was worthe try.

After some of the Amtrak food in the dining car, "Hack" was an applicable term.

But "Gig top"? Hmmm.

#294000  by Aji-tater

Caboose cupola

#294004  by GOLDEN-ARM

Aji gets a GOLD STAR......... :-D

#294007  by GOLDEN-ARM

Robert Gift wrote:Well, it was worthe try.

After some of the Amtrak food in the dining car, "Hack" was an applicable term.
I was thinking more along the lines, of GAG....... :P

#294041  by Aji-tater

Thanks for the gold star, GA, but I had an unfair advantage - when I started, the railroads actually used cabooses! I don't think that term was common but I must have heard it somewhere. On second thought I'll accept the gold star - we sure never get any on the job :-)