• Work train derailed near Syosset - 8/12

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pgengler

I can't find a news story to link to yet, but the 1010 WINS traffic page is reporting delays of up to 30 minutes both ways on the Port Jefferson branch due to a derailed work train west of Syosset.

by pgengler

Had my scanner going on the ride back from work, and it sounded like traffic was backing up down the whole main line from this (a lot of talk of "westbound congestion").

by Richard Glueck

Pictures! We need pictures!

by pineywoodsman

Richard Glueck wrote:Pictures! We need pictures!
Well I was at Hicksville this evening they were reporting late w/b trains of 15-20 mins out of Huntington.
Tomorrow they're doing work on the Ronkonkoma branch, with bustitution for stations between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma, I think. It starts at midnight, they already have buses parked in Hicksville. They were school buses though, can't imagine why LIRR couldn't have gotten LI Bus or air conditioned coaches, it's gonna feel like 100 tomorrow.

by de402

pineywoodsman wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:Pictures! We need pictures!
They were school buses though, can't imagine why LIRR couldn't have gotten LI Bus or air conditioned coaches, it's gonna feel like 100 tomorrow.

because these are the same idiots that try to pack 200 people on the same yellow buses when the GY Scoot has a heart attack. remember the passenger is on the bottow of the railroad's totem pole.

by Knife-Switch

pineywoodsman wrote: remember the passenger is on the bottow of the railroad's totem pole.
Actually there is one rung lower than passengers in "Maslow's Hierarchy of LIRR" and thats.....us....the freight

by LIRRNOVA55

3 EB Busses spootet on LIE, all 3 full to capacity marked LIRR Service

by tushykushy

Ahh Knife, ever so true. Nothing like sitting in a raunchy smelling GP38 in the siding on a hot day, waiting for late motors to run by since you aren't priority.

by jayrmli

There isn't a bus company the railroad could contract with that has air conditioned buses at the ready for standby service in the event of a derailment.

If they did do something like that, you could never afford your train ticket.

Jay

by pineywoodsman

jayrmli wrote:There isn't a bus company the railroad could contract with that has air conditioned buses at the ready for standby service in the event of a derailment.

If they did do something like that, you could never afford your train ticket.

Jay
I was under the impression those buses were for the planned construction work on the Ronkonkoma line this weekend. If they needed them for the derailment, then it's more reasonable considering the short notice.

by pineywoodsman

LIRRNOVA55 wrote:3 EB Busses spootet on LIE, all 3 full to capacity marked LIRR Service
Were these LI Buses?
BTW the Greenport Scoot is gonna be out of comission on weekdays between the 17th and 30th. Wonder what they'll use then? I dunno if LI Bus can fill in since weekdays most of the buses are in use. I guess they do have a few spares.

by LIRRNOVA55

plain jane bus. . . but. . i seen the scoot run EB, not WB tho today, But seen a LIRR service bus on the way back west.

by RPM2Night

Working for the NY&A, how long are your shifts usually? Do you usually work the full 12 hours, or are you usually done with your assignments comfortably before you hit 12 hours?

by jayrmli

Even though it's off topic, I'll answer the question.

Most NYAR jobs work 12 hours. On certain rare occasions, such as Hailey's Comet, crews have been known to work less than 12.

Jay