• Vintage High Res Pictures Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 3rdrail

A baggage crew unloads "The Night Owl" in the AM at Track 3, South Station.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... l/sta2.jpg

F40PH "Night Owl" has arrived on Track 3 from DC.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... l/ssta.jpg
  by 3rdrail

Local "Push-Pull" Commuter train has just pulled into South Station on Track 4 with it's load of passengers.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... 5977-1.jpg
Last edited by 3rdrail on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by jaymac

No high-level platforms, no high-voltage overhead -- thanks, I think, for the reality check that reminds me how old I am.
  by Robert Paniagua

I remember those Commuter rail Coaches being used as CTCs before the MK Rebuilding and renumbering to 200s. 1314 I used to see a lot on the Southside and 1808 as well, and I even got to ride on them before the conversion. And I also remember the low-level platform, like the portion at Washington Union Station. And I definitely remember Amtrak's F40PH and the Baggage cars. Nice shops Paul, good thing you were there while I was living in Germantown, Montgomery County, Maryland at the time you took those shots
  by BostonUrbEx

Ghetto grills on just one window? Was this when they were first putting them on?
  by Type7trolley

BostonUrbEx wrote:Ghetto grills on just one window? Was this when they were first putting them on?
As far as I know they were like that on those cab cars until they were rebuilt, simply because that's the side the engineer stands on. The locomotives on the other hand had grills on both windows.
  by bingdude

Wow! Thanks for posting those. My first visit to South Station was in 1975-- I remember it was really dark inside. Then my college years in the 80s...(I even shot some movies there). Then they rebuilt it. I kind of miss it the way it was.
  by NaDspr

Thanks a million for posting these pictures of South Station 25-30 years ago. My first visit there was in Sept 1978 when I was a college student in Beantown and heading west on the Lake Shore Limited. The pictures really jogged my memory. It made me think if walking the platforms thru the steam heat, the RDC cars of NH, NYC and B&M heratige, P70 coaches in Pennsy colors, E-8s (including the "ghost"), an assortment of all types of engines from RS-3s, FP-10s, brand new F-40s, GP7s and GP9s, GO Transit cars, D&H PAs, Tower 1 and its semephore signals, visiting Cove tower (trailer), spending time in Chick Tower with its armstrong levers and eastbound semephore signals right behind Northeastern University. (This was the where the Needham Branch began as there were no other switches off the Shore Line after Chick tower to the Needham Branch). Walking thru South Station was interesting. Seemed like it was a great home for pigeons to get out of the weather. The rollsigns for various trains were posted on the wall by the usher / train caller. Credit is well deserved to those who had the vision to restore the station to its current functionality and make it a much more vibrant facility. I have no problem with the high level platforms but the parking garage over the tracks, while a necessity, takes away from the beauty of the station area. But at least it is still around serving people and that'w what it was meant to do.
  by jaymac

NaDspr-
A couple of additions to the memories of decades past catalog -- B&M switcher (# forgotten) and CN steam generator cars (quantity and #s also forgotten)
  by NealG

I would love to see photos of the interior and immediate concourse from that era. I've seen photos from the 50s and 60s, but no more recent pre-renovation pics..
  by RailBus63

jaymac wrote:NaDspr-
A couple of additions to the memories of decades past catalog -- B&M switcher (# forgotten) and CN steam generator cars (quantity and #s also forgotten)
I remember B&M SW-1 #1122 being the primary South Station switcher in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
  by atsf sp

??? Why is that in South?
  by jaymac

Mayhap a decades-past feasibility study in anticipation of possibly electrifying today's Greenbush service into South Station??
That's a truly "interesting" trig.
  by 3rdrail

The Number 3 is laying over at South Station in preperation to being hauled to the Everett Scrap Track the following morning, I believe. There was no connection between the Cambridge-Dorchester Line and Main Line, so the New Haven RR had the sad duty via it's connection on the High Speed Line.