• Vintage High Res Pictures Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by bmcdr

The 4261 was one of the last E-8's in service as the newer HEP equipped coaches and locomotives were arriving and rebuilt B&M RDC-3's with steam generators added to the baggage compartment were taking up the slack with the last steam heated consists. 4261 got some badly needed repairs and a badly needed coat of paint at B&M's Billerica Shops, the last time it was painted was 1968 when Penn Central ran the commuter service. I assume they just used what was around for paint, knowing that 4261 was not long for this world. (it ran in this paint from late 1979 until removed from service in Feb.1982) The gray paint could very well have been provided by the T, as the B&M did not use gray for any other equipment at the time.
  by RailBus63

bmcdr wrote:[*]
RailBus63 wrote:Does every look back in time have to result in a reflexive slam at today's world and a lament that things just aren't as good as they used to be?
I still go out railfanning and taking pictures of the present, and have a great time interacting with the younger guys. I also have respect for my grandfather's time and my father's era, both of them railroad men with the B&M, but please, let me have my memories without condemning me for it. I'm just saying that you young guys would have loved it in the 1950's and 60's, but until you've actually worked in today's railroad environment with its political correctness, quotas, and new hires that can't even hook up an air hose or put on their uniform without looking like an un-made bed, or the constant array of passengers and co-workers who can't wait to text message management because they felt offended by something you say or do, then you can tell me I'm the typical narrow minded old timer.
David, my comment was not meant as a slam at you personally, so I apologize if it came across as such. I just seem to encounter so many railfans who do nothing but complain about today's railroading and how things were so much better in the past, etc., that I reacted to some of the comments in this thread. It appears that you and I actually share the same outlook - I'm in complete agreement when you wrote 'I still go out railfanning and taking pictures of the present, and have a great time interacting with the younger guys. I also have respect for my grandfather's time and my father's era'. That sums up my outlook nicely.

I do miss those days as well - when I was a teenager, my brother and I spent hours hanging around South Station and would walk through the old dirt parking lot all the way down to the curve near the Fort Point Channel bridge. The guys in the tower undoubtedly saw us but nobody cared because we didn't walk on the tracks or climb on the equipment. That level of innocence is completely gone today, and I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me how the simple and timeless act of railfanning is looked at so suspiciously these days. I refuse to let the paranoia stop me, though, and I've enjoyed many hours trackside with my own son.

As to your last comments about working on today's railroads - I've never worked in the industry so I try to avoid offering my opinion there. Again, my apologies if I misled with my previous comments. From what I've read and heard about, I honestly am very glad I never joined the industry and can enjoy this hobby without seeing so much of the crap that happens on the inside.

Anyways, I really appreciate the old photos that have been posted here - I'll try to scan some of my old slides from the late 1970's and the 1980's soon to share with everyone.

Jim
  by typesix

Managed to ride a train to Providence several times(for work) in 1980 during the summer with two ex-NH coaches pulled by that E unit. What a smooth train compared to an F-40 pulling Amfleet cars. The F-40 would bounce and sway, also made the Amfleet right behind it bounce and sway because of the yanking of the coupler. The AC didn't work well or not at all on the coaches and the end doors were usually open, it was nice to hear the E rev up. The open end door allowed one to see that the E rode like a passenger car, the ex-NH coaches were much smoother than Amfleet, without jiggling and much less bounce on jointed rail with low spots.
  by cpontani

I, too, would be interested in seeing what South Station looked like pre-renovation. I didn't get to Boston until after it was done. To me, South Station has always had high-level platforms, the Orange Line always ran down the Southwest Corridor, and the Red Line always went from Alewife to Braintree. Yes, tokens were 85 cents, and bus fare was only 60.
  by 3rdrail

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... -09046.jpg

Engine's purring but no steam ! Amtrak's #200 was the original EMD F40PH sent out of LaGrange in 1976.
  by atsf sp

Wow a Amtrak unit with ghetto bars. I never knew Amtrak outfitted them with it. When did they take them off/how many had them. And I envy those that were alive in the past to see the "better" age of railroading. I have only known this time and I am amazed when I see a pre-SD70 unit or and old GE unit. I wish I saw Fs in service rather than in tourist lines,(and those few times I witnessed MN FL9s). I went to the Juniata shops and all the SD40s parked was the closest I will get to the past. 3rdrail, these are awesome pictures.
  by 3rdrail

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... -09044.jpg

Here, on Track 9, we have a set of Budd RDC's, lead by what looks like a former New Haven RDC1, with it's giveaway Hancock Air Whistle in spite of the yellow face. Over there on the right is a former New Haven Streamlined Pullman-Standard coach. I wonder how many times that these cars sat, just as they are doing now, side by side at South Station ?

Well, that's it for now folks. Thanks for your favorable comments and I'm glad that you enjoyed my pics. More will surface as I come accross them.

Paul.
  by cpontani

atsf sp wrote:Wow a Amtrak unit with ghetto bars. I never knew Amtrak outfitted them with it. When did they take them off/how many had them. And I envy those that were alive in the past to see the "better" age of railroading. I have only known this time and I am amazed when I see a pre-SD70 unit or and old GE unit. I wish I saw Fs in service rather than in tourist lines,(and those few times I witnessed MN FL9s). I went to the Juniata shops and all the SD40s parked was the closest I will get to the past. 3rdrail, these are awesome pictures.
I think all the F40s that came into and out of South Station had the ghetto bars. Then again, Amtrak was operating the commuter rail, and occasionally you'd see an Amtrak F40 pulling a commuter rail train.

Then again, You don't see the ghetto bars anywhere outside of Boston. Are they used anywhere else? I couldn't imagine running a train while having to look through those things every day...
  by RailBus63

January 1992 - a beautifully restored and functional station, before it was ruined by any overhead structures:

by 3rdrail

RailBus63 wrote:January 1992 - a beautifully restored and functional station, before it was ruined by any overhead structures:
The original existence of a roof in the train loading area came along at the time of construction for South Station. It's 602 foot long Train Shed lasted from 1899 to the remodeling of 1929-1931 at which time it was removed and replaced by "umbrella sheds" which were built at each platform. According to the Barrett book, this was an improvement as "steam from the trains rose to the roof of the train shed , condensed, and fell as snow onto the platforms." (p.182) Also, for a while, the Dewey Square main entrance was open for the entrance of carriages and the station itself was not enclosed through the Train Shed, so the winter season must have been a chilly one there ! Interestingly, it seems that the station's engineers were ahead of their time in one regard though, as they planned for seven platforms between pairs of tracks which were exclusively the domain of electric trucks used to haul baggage and express. The lower level Subway was a failure only due to the fact that the New Haven Railroad did not electrify locally, as expected that they would, leaving the enclosed Subway unsuitable for steam locomotives. More than likely, had they electrified, even if only the outer local commuter tracks along the Boston - Providence Main Line as originally planned, the Subway would have provided additional service to the "largest railroad station in the world". It is interesting to wonder on the path of the Dorchester Tunnel, built sixteen years after South Station, and whether or not it would have actually entered the South Station Subway as a direct connection to the railroads as opposed to it and the BERy subway station of the same name which were constructed underneath Dewey Square.
Last edited by 3rdrail on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by sery2831

Yes it is, the number boards on those were changed when they moved the marker lights up high to where the class lights should be.

Lets not go off topic!
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: This is an interesting group of pics showing how much South Station changed when it was rebuilt with new infrastructure and high level platforms. Good memories also with some equipment now history - like Amtrak F40 #200.
I found this pic showing a brand-new Amtrak #200 in Chicago: www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=292976

My best 80s era MBTA memories were with the "collection" of RDCs they built back then before they made that big investment in new equipment
that changed the Commuter Rail system substantially.

Thoughts from MACTRAXX
  by Rockingham Racer

A very simple question: anyone remember the pigeons that used to fly in and out, using the headhouse as "home?! :-)
  by jaymac

One quickly learned to never look up at, let alone make eye contact with, an airborne winged rat.
The little beasts redefined "head house."