• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by moveonrp

I think the Monmouth Junction Transfer Station is the best idea, if it's done right...that is, learn from the mistakes at Secaucus Junction, don't repeat those mistakes.

1) Make the transfer station simple and functional, like MetroPark. Don't overbuild amenities. Don't waste customers' time or money with magnetic fare gates and the like.

2) Allow for future expansion. Just because an NEC connector is not needed now, do not assume it never will be. Build the transfer station in such a way that a future rail connection could be built in the future if demand warrants it.

3) Time Monmouth Junction connections with the NEC in both directions (not everyone is going north). If good connections are available to the super-expresses (next stop Newark after Monmouth Junction), the ridership will come.

4) I don't particularly like the parallel track and Amboy Secondary ideas. The first would be a terrible waste of money for what you get, the second would be way to s-l-o-w to be competitive with driving. Also, I thought that route was taken off the table years ago at the "request" of a certain Middlesex County legislator with strong "connections" to the McGreevey administration.
  by danny700

I had asked this a while back and I think it needs to be asked again.

With the passing of Middlesex Freeholder Director, David Crabiel, back in December, will this have a much better chance of getting done through Middlesex than in the past when Crabiel was the main opposition to the MOM project?
  by E-44

transit383 wrote: Not sure how familiar you are with the area, but there was a proposed Route 92 that was to run from Route 1 to the NJ Turnpike through South Brunswick and connect near Exit 8A. The project was abandoned in 2006, but it was to be a new roadway on a newly acquired ROW.

See this link; Unbuilt Route 92.

You can clearly see the Conrail line in the map provided in that link, and this road was to run just south of it. If you ever wanted to forward your idea even further, this ROW would be a start.
Know it pretty well, which is why I proposed the east-west link further south. There were a number of issues wuth 92 and, quite honestly, I think Mayor Gambatese of South Brunswick was right in fighting it so vehemently. It was a boondoggle for the trucking industry and the big distribution centers along the Turnpike and would have brought more truck traffic onto local roads. MOM, by comparison, even in its current incarnation would have vastly less impact on that area.

But since those NIMBYs are linked arm-in-arm with the Freeholders (even without Crabiel), I suggested going around the hard points of resistance. There'd have to be a polar shift in attitudes to allow the current Jamesburg/Monroe/South Brunswick routing.

I don't think planning should be limited to thinking of "just where the tracks are today" but rather look for better solutions that avoid problem areas. That kind of thinking would have re-routed the ARC tunnel into Penn Station along with the 7 train extension, instead of making them mutually exclusive and both poor compromises for what could have been a terriffic solution.

If you drive through that area along Federal Rd., you'll see how open it is and the possibilities it offers for a new ROW.

By the way, there are a LOT of commuters in Plainsboro who would love a station close by where they can park. Right about where Schalk's station used to be. It could eventually replace Princeton Jct. - which has no room for growth - as the primary park and ride for that area.
  by andegold

With this thread brought back to life and now E-44 bringing up alternatives for Monmouth Junction and a new station in Plainsboro rather than the same old tired ideas that have been studied to death for ten years or more I'll throw this idea out there:

Activate MOM as proposed into Monmouth Junction but instead of trying to rebuild the north/east bound leg of the wye or a flyover or tunnel to join up with the NEC and send trains north just bring them south/west a few miles past Midway into Plainsboro.

Build a new station in Plainsboro. A big one. With center island platforms. And a wider ROW.

Coming from the west let's start with the Princeton Branch. Add at least one stop along the back end of the office park parking lots on Alexander Road. Add a passing siding along the way somewhere as well to allow for increased frequency. At Princeton Junction extend the line north/east to Plainsboro. The track was still in place up to the old Walker Gordon Farm just shy of Plainsboro Road until recently. The ROW is there. Plainsboro Road would need to be reconfigured but that needs to be done anyway. Bring this track up to the new station which would be located between Plainsboro Road and Scudders Mill Road. The Dinky would arive in Plainsboro at a center island platform between it's own track and track 4. It would then rise up towards the helipad and baseball field at Merrill Lynch's old headquarters and enter the median of College Road where it would continue on to Forrestal Village with several stops along College Road. A passing siding would probably be needed on College Road. I actually envision center islands (low platform or high) at Alexander and along College Road as well to double as passing sidings but I'm not sure how that would go over safety wise with the current equipment without involving the added cost and complexity of bridges.

The Plainsboro station would be six tracks wide with three center island platforms. This would allow cross platform transfers from between MOM and NEC locals and between the Dinky and NEC locals. The main center island would be used primarily by the Clockers/NJT Super Expresses and by Amtrak.

West Windsor is trying to redevelop Princeton Junction but they can't come to any sort of agrement primarily because of traffic and parking. Well, this new station would solve their problems. Remove the express trains and Amtrak service from their station and they no longer have to worry about quite as much traffic or parking. The new station(s) along Alexander Road would serve the office parks there but could also serve as outlying parking lots to just increase service on the Dinky as a feeder to the NEC. By eliminating express stops from PJC (and Hamilton) and utilizing the center islands in Plainsboro NJT would gain speed from Newark all the way through to Trenton and Amtrak could provide more frequent service and even bring back Acela (okay PJC never had Acela but they did have Metroliners) service to the area without cross-plant moves.

Obviously West Windsor and Hamilton would scream about loss of their express trains but there might be enough demand (especially if North Brunswick ever gets built) to have express trains serving Hamilton, Princeton Junction and the Brunswicks.

Plainsboro's primary objection would be traffic. I think the roads in Plainsboro, as overcrowded as they are, can handle the traffic better than West Windsor anyway. There is sufficient land on Merrill Lynch's old property to build new parking structures that would be connected to the new station. The station itself however would be built on the north/east bound side of the tracks. Plainsboro Plaza is, unfortunately, half vacant with no signs of changing and I suspect a very good possibility of getting even worse as I have no idea how the ACE Hardware remains in business. Take out the entire section of the mall parallel to the tracks or at the very least convert the two large stores at the end into a new station. Provide a bus lane and a pick up/drop off lane but no commuter parking on that side. The parking will be the hardest thing to enforce but something can be worked out. If not short-term meters then make the lot gated but with no charge for say the first two hours.

Most of the traffic would be on the other side of the tracks where the new lots would be built and where Scudders Mill and College Road would handle the traffic.

An alternate routing for the Dinky would be to send it through the new hospital campus rather than up College Road. I think Forrestal Village would be a better terminus but maybe not.

At first glance this appears to be further backtracking for MOM patrons but it might provide better connections and faster service to NY.
  by moveonrp

The Plainsboro half measure you just described sounds MUCH more expensive than building a wye/flyunder at Monmouth Junction.
  by E-44

What I was getting at is that NJT may never get to Monmouth Jct. via Monroe/Jamesburg/South Brunswick so it seems an alternate connection is needed if MOM is ever going to work. A new alignment needs some "out of the box" thinking, which is what I was hoping to stimulate with my original post. And we got our first contributor :-D Thanks. Let's hear some more ideas.

I have no idea what the operational challenges might be if no flyover or hole-in-the-wall is possible to build and it ended up with just a series of high-speed crossovers for westbound movements or if a stub-end track parallel to track 1 with a crossover platform is the ultimate answer.

This is, after all, a railfan forum. And since I don't work for the railroad or hang around the tracks but just help write the ECC software that makes those Genesis units load so slowly (which some people just love to yowl about on these pages) but run so cleanly, I obviously don't know much about the real world of railroading :wink:
  by Jtgshu

E-44 wrote:What I was getting at is that NJT may never get to Monmouth Jct. via Monroe/Jamesburg/South Brunswick so it seems an alternate connection is needed if MOM is ever going to work. A new alignment needs some "out of the box" thinking, which is what I was hoping to stimulate with my original post. And we got our first contributor :-D Thanks. Let's hear some more ideas.

I have no idea what the operational challenges might be if no flyover or hole-in-the-wall is possible to build and it ended up with just a series of high-speed crossovers for westbound movements or if a stub-end track parallel to track 1 with a crossover platform is the ultimate answer.

This is, after all, a railfan forum. And since I don't work for the railroad or hang around the tracks but just help write the ECC software that makes those Genesis units load so slowly (which some people just love to yowl about on these pages) but run so cleanly, I obviously don't know much about the real world of railroading :wink:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I just don't understand why they load so slow - i mean, they are already running at full RPM! for the love of christ! And why does the ammeter go DOWN like 20-30 amps when the throttle is increased? grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :)

hahahhaha - ANYWAY.............

I think that we would have a better chance of MJ being built with a totally new flyover/tunnel than to have a whole new alignment built!

Like i mentioned above, an entirely new, and seperate track paralleling track 1 east up to a new station at Johnson and Johnson, and spreading out to 2 tracks as a terminal for MOM trains i think would be the best option. However, I have to admit, the PJ extention intreged me, and having both MOM and the Dinky in the same station would be nice, but I think it would simply be too far away for either one to be realistic. Its about 6 miles from Midway to PJ station. Scudders Mill Road is about MP 44.8 or so, but thats still slightly more than 3.5 miles from Midway. A station with center platforms would really slow down operations on that stretch of the NEC, especially for the Acela, which runs at 135 thorugh there. Amtrak would not be happy with a secaucus Junction type of track layout down there!

If Monmouth Jct couldn't be built, MOM should be built via Red Bank, with a focus not necessarily of serving Western Monmouth county. that is, of course, unless trains STARTED in say Englishtown and headed EAST on the Freehold Sec, then NORTH at Farmingdale up to Red Bank and up to the Coast Line that way - they could alternate - one train from Freehold, then a train from Lakehurst. however, if that was to be done, i would think that the Matawan route would get a LOT of pressure to be built then, and we would see trains running from Matawan to Freehold.

But if just the Red Bank route could be built, a focus on Southern Monmouth county and inland Ocean county would still lead to a very successful line, while IN THEORY freeing up space on Route 9 north of say Lakewood, so traffic would move slightly better and more busses could be run.

However, the problem with any Red Bank or Matawan route is that the Coast LIne has plenty of its own capacity constrants, train wise. Not too many more trians are able to be squeezed into the operation, however existing trains could be made longer, and thats how an across platform transfer at Red Bank would work (yes, across platform, as in building a new track that would be on the other side of the high level platforms which would be stub ended so MOM trains could park and layover in the station.
  by OportRailfan

Jtgshu wrote: However, the problem with any Red Bank or Matawan route is that the Coast LIne has plenty of its own capacity constrants, train wise. Not too many more trians are able to be squeezed into the operation, however existing trains could be made longer, and thats how an across platform transfer at Red Bank would work (yes, across platform, as in building a new track that would be on the other side of the high level platforms which would be stub ended so MOM trains could park and layover in the station.
I know this probably has been hashed out already, but could we see a possible 3rd track or passing sidings somewhere along the upper CL, to alleviate the congestion?

I know adding some more interlockings would also help with the flexibility of routing trains, so there's no reason to rehash that. In fact today on 3251 we ran 2 track from LLOYD to BANK just as we approached the exiting eastbound at Red Bank.
  by Jtgshu

OportRailfan wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: However, the problem with any Red Bank or Matawan route is that the Coast LIne has plenty of its own capacity constrants, train wise. Not too many more trians are able to be squeezed into the operation, however existing trains could be made longer, and thats how an across platform transfer at Red Bank would work (yes, across platform, as in building a new track that would be on the other side of the high level platforms which would be stub ended so MOM trains could park and layover in the station.
I know this probably has been hashed out already, but could we see a possible 3rd track or passing sidings somewhere along the upper CL, to alleviate the congestion?

I know adding some more interlockings would also help with the flexibility of routing trains, so there's no reason to rehash that. In fact today on 3251 we ran 2 track from LLOYD to BANK just as we approached the exiting eastbound at Red Bank.
While there are some areas that would not allow it, I think that in the not to distant future, the Coast Line is going to have to be triple tracked in some streches. There aren't any real major problems in between Middletown and Matawan. There are a few sections that are on a pretty high fill, and that would need either a retaining wall or more fill. Same with inbetween the Navesink River Bridge and Middletown Station, in particular just west (RR) of Middletown, there is a tall fill with houses on either side of the ROW, so that could be a little tricky.

Also, it would be good to see three tracks through Perth Amboy, and from Wood up to say the Turnpike bridge. That would really help out too
  by OportRailfan

I was thinking of certain sections north of RIVER where they could restore the 3rd track in short instances where there were no obstructions too
  by moveonrp

Google maps still shows what the connection looked like when the Kingston Branch was active. Does anyone have any recollection of what that connection? Was there ever a bridge there?

Pics would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like the land is still open what was once there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=mon ... 27895&z=16
  by andegold

Would the flyover or duck under tunnel really be cheaper than what I proposed in Plainsboro? Not that any of this would be welcome by those immediately against the line but I've got to believe that a flyover in particular would be the hardest sell out there from both a visual and noise standpoint. There are houses right up against Monmouth Junction. There are houses against the tracks in Plainsboro as well but they already have a pretty high berm and fence.

My hope with the center islands was to actually increase overall throughput and speed in the area not to slow it down. The alignment of the center express tracks wouldn't have to change. The outer tracks would be pushed out further to accomodate the platforms. What is the top speed allowed alongside a high platform? It was my understanding that Acela travels at full speed through two track stations in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Is this incorrect? Are they low level? I've been on the platform in Princeton Junction when Amtrak has come through at 100mph or more on the local tracks. Also, the point to these platforms was to increase the overall speed and handling of the NJT super expresses which could now stay off the local tracks entirely between Newark and Trenton. Would this not be a better utilization of the tracks and an overall increase to speeds?
  by Matt Johnson

The stations that Acela passes at 150 mph are low level. However, I was on the Acela this morning and we passed a couple of MARC high level platforms at 125 mph. But I don't see Amtrak allowing high levels being built adjacent to 135 mph (someday 150 mph) tracks.
  by 35dtmrs92

Jtgshu wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:

While there are some areas that would not allow it, I think that in the not to distant future, the Coast Line is going to have to be triple tracked in some stretches. There aren't any real major problems in between Middletown and Matawan. There are a few sections that are on a pretty high fill, and that would need either a retaining wall or more fill. Same with inbetween the Navesink River Bridge and Middletown Station, in particular just west (RR) of Middletown, there is a tall fill with houses on either side of the ROW, so that could be a little tricky.

Also, it would be good to see three tracks through Perth Amboy, and from Wood up to say the Turnpike bridge. That would really help out too
Even with the houses along the ROW in southern Middletown, I think there is enough clearance to allow a retaining wall to be built to comfortably accommodate a third track. A third track from Red Bank to Long Branch would probably be easier; the ROW is nice and open along that stretch (with quite a bit of empty space between the eastbound platform and the station house at Red Bank to move the platform, eventually)
  by Jishnu

The Plainsboro station would be six tracks wide with three center island platforms. This would allow cross platform transfers from between MOM and NEC locals and between the Dinky and NEC locals. The main center island would be used primarily by the Clockers/NJT Super Expresses and by Amtrak.
This business of putting high level island platforms next to tracks 2 and 3 in what is soon to be 150mph territory is hardly likely to happen. You could do these island platforms between your new tracks and track 1 or new track and track 4. Besides putting a platform next to a track means that before you know it, people would want a train traveling on that track to stop at that platform. I simply do not see Amtrak ever agreeing to placing such impediments in the middle of one of their few prime high speed territories.