Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

One word explains how MN wound up in this mess.........................negligence. MN has long had an ego of invincibility and seemed to think that if they put a lot of money into the infrastructure one time, they would not have to do it over and over again. This attitude is what almost certainly caused the derailment/sideswipe in Bridgeport. Now MN is struggling to fix the many bad stretches of track before the FRA hits them with severe restrictions. One hopes that the events of the past few months will be a wake up call and that MN will be more vigilant in addressing small problems before they manifest into larger ones.
  by BobLI

Is it true that concrete tie areas need more maintenence (tamping, surfacing?) than wood ties in high traffic areas?
  by Clean Cab

The concrete ties actually work quite well in areas with soft soil and good drainage. The tracks in the Bronx are basically in a big bowl. The granite bedrock is only a few feet below the tracks so any rain water has nowhere to drain off. The wooden ties absorb moisture, obviously concrete ties do not. MN invested in concrete ties knowing that they would still need routine tamping and ballast renewal, and that was done. However, MN thought that the ties themselves would last 50 years as was claimed by the manufacturer. So far they haven't lasted more than a few years in the Bronx. The tracks have gotten so bad that the track speeds that at one time were once as high as 80 MPH are now half that. Now MN is making repairs to the tracks by installing wooden ties in the worst mud spots, but are strangely leaving most of the concrete ties in place. I believe MN is trying to come up with some sort of drainage system as well, but only time will tell if it is successful.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Having worked for amtrak for 6 years between nyc to dc and the harrisburg line, I was ready for a change of pace and scenery so a month ago, I decided to switch zones and start qualifying nyc to Boston. I have had few interactions with MNR but they have been good. Because of the derailment and sideswipe west of Bridgeport, the FRA has been all over the property. Speed restrictions are everywhere on the NHV line. Recently it's been about 22 restrictions and as many as 31 and that was last week I believe. My question is why aren't these speed restrictions plaguing the other lines? Is it because the fra and Sperry etc hasn't been over there yet? Although the dsprs do a reasonable job getting trains moving, the many speed restrictions and looking up and down at the DTOBO and looking for the restrictions have helped with the delays. I believe MNR track dept or the company(management) as a whole should be ashamed of themselves. Nothing like creeping thru Port Chester for over a mile at 10mph or the other 30mph restrictions that plague the NHV line, hahahhaha
  by RearOfSignal

A very large portion of the Hudson and upper Harlem have wood ties, so the track is not as bad in those spots.
  by BuddSilverliner269

RearOfSignal wrote:A very large portion of the Hudson and upper Harlem have wood ties, so the track is not as bad in those spots.
  by Clean Cab

Why are most of the speed restrictions on the New Haven Line? Its a matter how much busier the New Haven Line is compared to the Hudson and Harlem. There are more trains running on the New Haven Line than the Harlem and Hudson combined. Add in Amtrak and CSX and P&W freights and it should be no real surprise that the tracks on the NH Line need so much more attention.

A daily Bulletin Order from 8/23/13 showed 34 speed restrictions and 22 of them were on the NH Line ranging from Mt. Vernon East to just west of Bridgeport.
  by Steamboat Willie

CC, while I do agree with what you said, the Track Loading Machine (TLV) has yet to make its rounds on the other 2 divisions. Plus, P&W is seasonal traffic in direct relation to aggregate. CSX is year round and routinely has around 4 large haulage jobs everyday. So to say the NH has more freight traffic I would dispute. I am curious of the outcome when the TLV makes its way onto the Hudson, you may see comparable amount of imposed speed restrictions.
  by Clean Cab

Steamboat Willie wrote:CC, while I do agree with what you said, the Track Loading Machine (TLV) has yet to make its rounds on the other 2 divisions. Plus, P&W is seasonal traffic in direct relation to aggregate. CSX is year round and routinely has around 4 large haulage jobs everyday. So to say the NH has more freight traffic I would dispute. I am curious of the outcome when the TLV makes its way onto the Hudson, you may see comparable amount of imposed speed restrictions.
I wasn't trying to say there was more freight traffic on the NH Line. The Hudson clearly has the most freight traffic. I was just adding whatever freight there is on the NH Line to the total of trains that do operate.
  by RearOfSignal

The New Haven Line is also 4 track mainline for the most part, the upper Hudson is 2 track mainline as is most of the Harlem. New Haven simply has more trackage so more speed restrictions.
  by BuddSilverliner269

I suppose this is what happens when metro north lies about there track keeping records to the FRA? Also I don't take excuses very easily like there's a lot of trains because on amtrak we don't have the best high speed track around compared to Europe etc but we don't have nearly as many speed restrictions as MNR especially in NJ( I'd say traffic on NHV and NEC thru NJ is neck and neck) with the ton of NJT trains with heavy multilevel cars. In delaware and MD we have long and heavy NS trains(about 20 of them) and no issues with multiple restrictions. There's an awful lot of speed restrictions between CP-216-274 and that's only 58 some miles. This is simply an observation from an engineers POV so what do I know???
  by RearOfSignal

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:I suppose this is what happens when metro north lies about there track keeping records to the FRA? Also I don't take excuses very easily like there's a lot of trains because on amtrak we don't have the best high speed track around compared to Europe etc but we don't have nearly as many speed restrictions as MNR especially in NJ( I'd say traffic on NHV and NEC thru NJ is neck and neck) with the ton of NJT trains with heavy multilevel cars. In delaware and MD we have long and heavy NS trains(about 20 of them) and no issues with multiple restrictions. There's an awful lot of speed restrictions between CP-216-274 and that's only 58 some miles. This is simply an observation from an engineers POV so what do I know???
Yes, I agree. I was only saying why the New Haven has more restrictions compared to the Hudson and Harlem. But most definetly MNR has dropped the ball in properly maintaining its tracks and its still amazing to me and others here at MNR that heads haven't rolled on this one.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Rear of signal, I agree. I have heard stories of engrs complaining of certain stretches of track that were issues like where the derailment was and it fell on deaf ears. I can say this, I don't work for MNR and don't have to worry. Lol. Fortunately they seemed to have whittle away at a few of the restrictions, and the RTC do a pretty good job of moving things around!! Much better then amtrak dsprs that's for certain.
  by Clean Cab

Myself and other MN engineers have complained repeatedly about how bad some stretches of track were over many years. We would go through proper reporting channels and wait and wait and nothing ever got done. Funny thing is, MN has had a regular service contract with Sperry Rail Service for many years and I did see their track inspection vehicle quite often, yet few (if any) speed restrictions were ever issued. So is the blame just with MN/CDOT? Or is Sperry culpable as well?
  by Railroader

Clean Cab wrote:Myself and other MN engineers have complained repeatedly about how bad some stretches of track were over many years. We would go through proper reporting channels and wait and wait and nothing ever got done. Funny thing is, MN has had a regular service contract with Sperry Rail Service for many years and I did see their track inspection vehicle quite often, yet few (if any) speed restrictions were ever issued. So is the blame just with MN/CDOT? Or is Sperry culpable as well?
I wouldnt put the blame on Sperry. They are checking the integrity of the rail itself, not the overall track integrity. Once the Sperry car finds a rail defect that section is normally removed and replaced before the form M is cancelled. That is why you don't normally see temporary speed restrictions after a Sperry inspection