Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

Word has it that MN has issued a multi paged Bulletin Order reducing their MAS (Maximum Authorized Speed) throughout their system. The average speed reduction is 10 MPH, most notably on the Hudson and New Haven Lines where speeds were 90, are now 80 MPH. This is an attempt to address and repair the many stretches of track that have needed attention for sometime now. Hopefully once all repairs are made, the former MAS will be returned.
Last edited by Clean Cab on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jersey_Mike

That's really going to make a difference? o.0 Sounds like a case of giving the impression that they are fixing a problem by doing something. The railroad version of TSA security theater.
  by Amtrak7

Hopefully MNR doesn't become the next CTA.
  by eastwind

This will affect Amtrak as well, yes?
  by lirr42

Yes, Mr. Eastwind.
  by Clean Cab

The speed reductions will barely affect train schedules a whole lot, which is why most of the speed changes were relatively minor.
  by Travelsonic

Wonder what kind of things they'll be looking for, the kinds of repairs that they have to look at **the possibility** of having to do... if that's the best way to word my curiosity...
  by Noel Weaver

My guess is that this is the result of both inadequate maintenance and improper maintenance, take your pick. I was told by a very reliable source whom will remain nameless on here that the track in the area when the CSX Trash Train went off was not good for quite a while and had been reported by a number of engineers at numerous times. Over a period of time tracks have been removed from service for lengthy periods of time for major work, I have my doubts that this work was done properly in the first place. I am certainally glad that I do not have to run or travel regularly over these tracks today.
Noel Weaver
  by amtrakhogger

eastwind wrote:This will affect Amtrak as well, yes?
Many of my fellow Zone 1 and 3 engineers were kind of shocked to see the across the board reduction in speeds, since the MN bulletin was issued with little warning.
  by freightguy

After being tested by a special machine on the New Haven line, restrictions against freight trains have been put into place by the MN track dept. on certain tracks. The " track loading vehicle" car has been testing currently along the NH line. Along with the current speed restrictions I'm sure this special equipment was recommended by the FRA after a few recent incidents to test load impacts along the right of way.

You may this equipment roaming Metro North at night testing. The car AAR 110 along with and old passenger coach with all the diagnostics on it with Metro North engines bracketing it on each end. The actual test car is in a paint scheme almost reminiscent of the PRR livery.
  by twropr

Are most of the restrictions for curves and bridges on the Hudson and New Haven lines the same? Has the 75 and 70 MAS on the NH Line been reduced?

Thanks!

Andy
  by Clean Cab

Word is it may take two years to fix all the speed restrictions on all three divisions. One wonders how the tracks got so bad so fast? I guess "OTP" which used to stand for On Time Performance now stands for Old Track Problems.
  by RearOfSignal

They've had to decrease the size of the print on the DTOBO just to fit all the temporary restrictions on one page.
  by Kurt

I wonder if the increased weight of the M7/8s along with the increased scheduling affected track that couldn't take that abuse. I definitely noticed a rougher ride the last year or so.
  by Noel Weaver

Considering the track upgrades that took place both under Conrail and in the earlier years of Metro-North, this is indeed sad news. It is not the same railroad today that it was a few short years ago. Maybe they should have stuck with wood ties, maybe they should put more attention to proper track maintenance, maybe less emphasis on on time and more emlphasis on maintenance and safety, maybe a lot more, who knows at this point. They have lost a lot of very good railroaders who have probably elected to retire as early as they could and it all hurts. I hope things get better and they probably will sometime, the question is how long is sometime and it can be a long sometime at that.
Noel Weaver