Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#432835  by doepack

As everyone knows, Metra prints out special schedules for major summertime events (i.e., the Taste, and such) and in most cases, the details are available online. Sometimes though, other routes will have additional service that isn't mentioned on the website; in fact, I recall last year that extra service was run on the Burlington for some event, don't remember what; but it wasn't announced until a day in advance. Likewise with the recent Lollapalooza fest, extra trains were run on the Rock, without a reference to such on Metra's website. Are these announcements of special "unpublished" service always done on short notice like that, or is it just on a "need to know" basis?

#432878  by MetraBNSF

I have seen this on the BNSF, but don't remember what events there were extra trains running and the details were available only at the outlying stations that get served by the extra trains and at CUS. One of the extras I've seen but is never published is an express that serves D.G. through Aurora that leaves around 8:30pm or so.

Speaking of extra trains, considering the current budget limitations, I wonder if Metra is up to the idea of running seasonal trains. Along the BNSF, I see a market for an additional late express train or two that could run on Friday and/or Saturday nights during the summer, much like how the UP-N has seasonal Ravinia specials. It'd serve D.G. through Aurora and could leave prior to the 8:40, 9:40, or 10:40pm trains, much like what was run during the Taste of Chicago. Earlier tonight I saw what almost looked like a rush hour crowd getting off the 8:40pm CUS departure at D.G.

#433035  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:Speaking of extra trains, considering the current budget limitations, I wonder if Metra is up to the idea of running seasonal trains. Along the BNSF, I see a market for an additional late express train or two that could run on Friday and/or Saturday nights during the summer, much like how the UP-N has seasonal Ravinia specials. It'd serve D.G. through Aurora and could leave prior to the 8:40, 9:40, or 10:40pm trains, much like what was run during the Taste of Chicago. Earlier tonight I saw what almost looked like a rush hour crowd getting off the 8:40pm CUS departure at D.G.
I think that's an idea whose time has come; having an 8:25/8:30 DG express on Friday & Saturday evenings during the summer would be a great idea. For commuters west of DG, the Friday night run could potentially cut travel time in half, since 1293 makes every single stop (ex. Halsted) to Aurora. BNSF would probably be cool with it, given all the other extra service it runs, but such an arrangement would likely involve adding another deadhead move somewhere...

#433091  by MetraBNSF

doepack wrote:I think that's an idea whose time has come; having an 8:25/8:30 DG express on Friday & Saturday evenings during the summer would be a great idea. For commuters west of DG, the Friday night run could potentially cut travel time in half, since 1293 makes every single stop (ex. Halsted) to Aurora. BNSF would probably be cool with it, given all the other extra service it runs, but such an arrangement would likely involve adding another deadhead move somewhere...
There was a 8:30pm or so departure every weeknight during the Taste of Chicago and this run was made possible by terminating train 1285 at Lisle and passengers on that train that needed to go to points west would transfer to train 1287 which gets into Lisle 10 minutes later. The set used for 1285 would flip at Lisle and deadhead to CUS, becoming the extra train.

#433135  by metraRI

It does happen quite a bit on the Rock where an extra train is added to the schedule and it is not published before hand. Last weekend's inbound express was not even announced as 'an express train' until we were pulling into Vermont Street and anyone needing to get off at a branch station had to get off and board the extra train waiting to go on the branch. I'm not sure why this is not announced before hand, as Metra does usually expect heavier crowds. I'm not sure of this happening on any other line besides BNSF and the Rock as there were no extra trains announced for any other line that I noticed as I went to Union and OTC last weekend also.

#441260  by MetraBNSF

There were extra trains on BNSF today (Labor Day), don't know how many there were or if they ran all weekend. Nothing was publicized online or at the stations. I got on what was presumably a regularly scheduled Sunday/holiday train and halfway to Belmont, it was announced as an express train and passengers needing to go to intermediate points should get off at Belmont or Downers Grove and wait for the local which was following.

And this evening at CUS, the display boards indicated an 8:38 departure on track 12, but nothing was mentioned about it being an extra express train. Both extra trains used a 10 car set, powered by METX403. The extra inbound express was almost filled to capacity by the time it reached D.G., many of them Cub fans going to Wrigley Field.

#441721  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:There were extra trains on BNSF today (Labor Day), don't know how many there were or if they ran all weekend. Nothing was publicized online or at the stations. I got on what was presumably a regularly scheduled Sunday/holiday train and halfway to Belmont, it was announced as an express train and passengers needing to go to intermediate points should get off at Belmont or Downers Grove and wait for the local which was following
I thought BNSF extras during weekends & holidays were just CUS-DG expresses, but this sounds like a spur of the moment thing. Did it make any stops between CUS and Belmont? Strange...

#441938  by MetraBNSF

That particular train was a D.G. express. My guess it left Aurora 2-5 minutes ahead of #1314.
 #550587  by MetraBNSF

I didn't see it anywhere online or at the stations but BNSF ran two extra express trains last night (Friday 6/28/08). At the time #1287 was getting into Lisle, I saw a 7 car equipment train also pulling into Lisle. The doors never opened and after 5 minutes the eastbound equipment train started east. If I recall METX188 was the power and METX8606 was the cab on this extra. A little after 8:50pm I saw a westbound Metra go 2-1 at the Fairview interlocking and the train which equipment fit the description above made a stop at Downers Grove Main St and let off a decent number of passengers. Sometime after 9:30pm the same train made its way east, going 3-2 at Fairview, and the same westbound sequence repeated just after 10:50pm. The strange part is not all cars were open on this unpublished extra train. I'm guessing the equipment for this extra came from here:
MetraBNSF on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:49 pm wrote:There was a 8:30pm or so departure every weeknight during the Taste of Chicago and this run was made possible by terminating train 1285 at Lisle and passengers on that train that needed to go to points west would transfer to train 1287 which gets into Lisle 10 minutes later. The set used for 1285 would flip at Lisle and deadhead to CUS, becoming the extra train.
 #550672  by metraRI

You would think making trains publicly known would boost ridership.. I would not be surprised if this is happening over on RI also. I know trains can easily become 10 minutes late with a 8/9 car set on the branch.
 #550757  by metraRI

As I had suspected, RI did have unpublished extras today. Waiting for outbound train #221 at 80th Avenue, a train arrived at 6:28, which is just about on time for 221... however considering the train was 10 cars, I knew this train could not have gone on the branch and arrive early into 80th Avenue. The train left, and about 15 minutes later 5 car train #221 arrived running about 15 minutes behind schedule "due to track construction".

I wouldn't be surprised if this continues tomorrow and next weekend.... or next Friday, the 4th.
 #550886  by MetraBNSF

For the BNSF a complete listing of extras are now listed on the website. Which includes a "special" train that will run in place of #1285 from Monday June 30-Wednesday July 2.

http://metrarail.com/Service_Advisories ... xtras.html

On Monday, June 30, Tuesday, July 1 and Wednesday, July 2 Outbound Train No. 1285 (6:20 PM) will not operate. The following special will run in it's place.

Leave Chicago
Chicago LV 6:20
Cicero AR 6:31
Berwyn 6:35
Harlem Avenue 6:37
Riverside 6:39
Brookfield 6:42
LaGrange Road 6:45
Stone Avenue 6:47
Western Springs 6:50
Hinsdale 6:53
Clarendon Hills 6:57
Westmont 7:00
Fairview Avenue 7:03
Main Street 7:05
Lisle 7:10

On a slight off topic note, check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh0Di3aXhZE
 #550904  by doepack

metraRI wrote:You would think making trains publicly known would boost ridership
It couldn't hurt, that's for sure. Other than word-of-mouth, or traffic updates during the Taste on televised newscasts, Metra doesn't really advertise the extra service very well, and most occasional/seasonal users don't usually check the website (or think to). Many regular riders are aware of it and take advantage, but unfortunately, there probably isn't enough money to expand the advertising budget, so that more folks can an least be aware of the extra festival service. At least then, it would increase the chances that every car on every train would be open, unlike the extra set that ran Friday evening on BNSF...
 #550907  by MetraBNSF

I was in Downers Grove this afternoon (take that back, I was in Downers Grove all weekend) and happen to be in the right place when BNSF #9404 and #1316 arrived. #9404 used an 11 car set and this was a train where there were just about as many people getting off as there were getting on. Repeated announcements were made that #9404 is an express to CUS and will not stop east of D.G. Main St. The following local, #1316 using 8 cars was also jam packed. Since the village's "Heritage Festival" is taking place, its very convenient for people to take Metra to D.G. Main St since the festival is taking place in the area surrounding the station. Also provided for great horn action all weekend.
 #553174  by metraRI

RI once again had un-ads today... appears that the 6:40 was split. interesting note however apon arriving into Joliet the train deadheaded past Tinley heading east around 8:20. This is where it becomes confusing... at 8:45 a westbound pulled into 80th Ave, pulling up until the 9th car was at the edge of the platform. The train stopped for about 5 seconds and pulled away. No idea what this move was about...