• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity … FRANCIS L SUTER on train 8 (07) from SEA to CHI, train 30 (12) from CHI to WAS, train 92 (15) from WAS to NYP, train 43 (16) from NYP to PGH, and train 42 (17) from PGH to NYP.
  by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity …. HICKORY CREEK on train 49 (15) from NYP to CHI, returning on train 48 (17) from CHI to NYP.
  by ThirdRail7

Since the viewliner II thread is closed I guess this will fit in this thread. Start looking north of NYC early next week.
  by gregorygrice

ThirdRail7 wrote:Since the viewliner II thread is closed I guess this will fit in this thread. Start looking north of NYC early next week.
Another delivery?
  by JimBoylan

On Friday and Saturday, 5/15-16, an Amtrak 125 ton railway crane was stopped on the Bustleton branch bridge over Rhawn St. at Holmesburg Jct. station, North East Philadelphia. It was still there at 11L00 p.m.
  by srock1028

A176(21) had a viewliner baggage car as the first car in the consist. Also A97(21) had the bag and sleepers up front and 5 new baggage cars tacked onto the rear. Just left NYP.
  by Train2009

FRANCIS L SUTER Private car was seen at MMC this afternoon as it was waiting for a interchange.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #6 (22) "more or less" on time @MP 18.00. There were three Sleepers in consist. I'm not certain if the third line goes "all the way" or if only DEN-CHI.

But alas; no V-Bag. The former ATSF H-Bag, to be nice about things, looked "tired".
  by jhdeasy

Train2009 wrote:FRANCIS L SUTER Private car was seen at MMC this afternoon as it was waiting for a interchange.
Car was awaiting a M&E Railway crew to bring it to Whippany NJ for storage. It joins a group of Amtrak/Via certified private cars (such as ALEXANDER HAMILTON, BABBLING BROOK, BERLIN, KITCHI GAMMI CLUB, MOUNT VERNON, OHIO RIVER, PACIFIC HOME, VISTA VALLEY) and some M&E Railway cars that call Whippany their home base.
  by Morning Zephyr

Three LA-based private varnish will leave New Orleans Thursday May 28th on #20, the Crescent: Boston and Maine "Salisbury Beach," Union Pacific "Pacific Sands," and Burlington "Silver Splendor." They were to be cut out at Atlanta evening of May 28, but due to liability dispute with Norfolk Southern will probably continue on to Washington, arriving there Friday morning May 29th where they terminate that charter.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #5 (28), Zephyr, today. In consist is a Coach that has been shrink wrapped with a San Francisco promotional ad.

First I've ever seen or learned of this; single level cars of course, but never a Superliner.
  by jhdeasy

Morning Zephyr wrote:Three LA-based private varnish will leave New Orleans Thursday May 28th on #20, the Crescent: Boston and Maine "Salisbury Beach," Union Pacific "Pacific Sands," and Burlington "Silver Splendor." They were to be cut out at Atlanta evening of May 28, but due to liability dispute with Norfolk Southern will probably continue on to Washington, arriving there Friday morning May 29th where they terminate that charter.
SALISBURY BEACH, PACIFIC SANDS and SILVER SPLENDOR departed WAS on train 19 (30) enroute to NOL, thence on train 1 (01) from NOL to LAX.

I'm not aware of any PV's that have been switched on/off trains 19/20 at ATL in recent years. There is adequate scheduled dwell time at ATL, so I believe the restriction is imposed by NS.
  by gregorygrice

railaw wrote:Springfield shuttle was a 3-car train this morning (around 11am). Does anyone know if this was an equipment move or a demand issue?
Springfield shuttle is usually 2 cars so they probably just added a car.