• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

@MBTA fan, One of these reliable P42's?
  by Silverliner II

Tadman wrote:@MBTA fan, One of these reliable P42's?
Hmmm... a tad well done for my taste, but it could work....
  by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote:A private car special of almost exclusively Iowa Pacific equipment is headed CHI-IND around now. It's led by AZER E8 in black widow. Interestingly, it's got no Amtrak equipment. I don't know who the crew is, but I'm curious under who's authority its operating. Usually such trains are considered Amtrak extras and have a P42 tucked in the consist, allowing them cheap coverage under Amtrak insurance.
Here is the itinerary for the move observed by Mr.Dunville and as reported in the NRHS North Western Illinois Chapter's "North Western Limited":

Wed Jan 18 Chi-(IC)-Effingham (PRR)-Newton (IRR)-Indpls.
Mon Jan 23 Reverse routing.

The locomotive noted by Mr. Dunville is ex-C&NW

disclaimer: author is a Member and Past Officer of the noted Chapter and with forty one years standing.
  by airman00

Those two p42's look like they've suffered career ending injuries! Were they scrapped or repaired?
  by MBTA1016

Tadman wrote:@MBTA fan, One of these reliable P42's?

Not exactly one on fire. I couldn't think of another diesel loco Amtrak had. Its seems like all they use for diesel is p42s.
Sorry I didnt make it more clear it was supposed to be a joke, at amtraks expense. At least it not just amtraks toasters going toast. :)
  by Gilbert B Norman

Consist of 381(21) was comprised of four Superliners - including a 330XX Sightseer Lounge.

Passed 18.34 OT despite the 6" snowfall here in "Chicagoland".
  by Tadman

@MBTAFan I'm just funnin' too. I just found the statement too ironic to leave alone. I shoulda put smiley faces on it or something.
  by MBTA1016

Tadman wrote:@MBTAFan I'm just funnin' too. I just found the statement too ironic to leave alone. I shoulda put smiley faces on it or something.

No problem, I think my line about amtraks toasters arent the only thing going toast sums up your pics quite nicely. :) I thought the mbta wasn't always reliable but our locos don't catch on fire like Amtrak's. Tadmans pics prove that stuff funded by the Feds never are reliable.
Last edited by MBTA1016 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi

by CorenDirebrew

I saw many NEC trains on bristol station. and keystones.
  by mbaker1979

On Friday, 1/20/2012 I spotted an Amtrak train with (2) diesels, (10) coaches, (3) viewliners in the middle and 1 one diner in Washington, DC, Union Station. The train was full of children. Does anyone have any details about this train?
  by Gilbert B Norman

I'd bet my money such was a Safety Patrol Special - a one time ACL then Amtrak special move that has now simply been handled in #97-98 line space. CSX would not permit an additional train over the A-Line.

Mr. Baker's observation of Sleepers in the consist would suggest that regular passengers were also accommodated. Last year, the train was completely sold for the move and the Sleepers were "blanked".
  by jcepler1

I heard that the sleepers were for the parents/chaperones, etc.
No normal revenue passengers were allowed on this train. They were all accommodated on 91/92.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Oh well, so much for the "psyche" once expressed to me by a "McMansionite" neighbor - a Scoutmaster in one life, but a high powered attorney in another. When i learned he would be riding Coach on the Chief to Philmont and return, I said "Jim, for heaven sakes, get a Sleeper if any are still available'. The response I got was "If Coach is good enough for the Scouts, then it is good enough for me".
  by Tadman

The Scouts are always a good group to have on the Chief. I've been aboard when they are, and my first thought was "oh no, 100+ little guys with 4 adults. This is going to be awful". Instead, they were all quite well behaved and the scoutmasters were really kind. They watched my bags for me while we sat in purgatory (CUS-South waiting room) and I had to make a few calls.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Great Dome 10031, Ocean View, is being deadheaded (ahead of Bagg) presumably to LA in consist of #3(24).