• Trenton Industrial Activity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JADes718

Today on the way home at 517 pm I saw a train droping a string of about 20 box cars, mostly "Railbox" on the "main" near Lower Ferry Road. I was wondering what this is for. Are they storing empty cars there (I assume they are empty because on of the doors were open with nothing inside), or is the Homasote Co getting deliveries again. I doubt this because they were not spoted inside the plant. So I then drove (quickly) to the West Trenton train station and saw the 2 CSX locos running west light, assuming they are headed to Woodburn. This is unsual because I have not seen anything on these tracks in the 3 years I have lived here. I will keep an eye on the cars because they very close to my house. Anyone have any ideas or information?
  by transit383

Those cars are still there this morning. All stored on the main just east of the grade crossing at the NJDOT Headquarters.
  by Kaback9

They could be stored there due to the economy.
  by JADes718

I understand that, I have read somewhere that CSX is mothballing autoracks due to the drop in auto sales. But my question is that those cars are Railbox, a leasing pool. Wouldn't there be a more convientanttttt/centralized location to put them. transit383- there is also 4 cars on the west side of the crossing.
  by Kaback9

Ok well you were asking a question as to why they are there and I was answering it, if you knew then there would be no reason for this thread. Being as CSX has ownership(stock) in TTX of whom Railbox is a subsidiary I would think they have some agreement upon which the cars are stored there .
  by transit383

When was the last time Homasote received cars?
  by JADes718

Kaback9 wrote:Ok well you were asking a question as to why they are there and I was answering it, if you knew then there would be no reason for this thread. Being as CSX has ownership(stock) in TTX of whom Railbox is a subsidiary I would think they have some agreement upon which the cars are stored there .
sorry, that must have come across the wrong way. i was just possing a question. i was not aware the Railbox was a sub. of CSX. thanks , i guess you learn something every day. sorry for the rudeness.
transit383 wrote:When was the last time Homasote received cars?
i''m not sure but I know it hasn't been in the last 3 years.
  by Kaback9

No problem :-) .

I expect if the economy continues the way it is we will have more unused cars sitting on tracks that have not seen cars in years, but better that than scrapping them.
  by Chessie GM50

Kaback9 wrote:No problem :-) .

I expect if the economy continues the way it is we will have more unused cars sitting on tracks that have not seen cars in years, but better that than scrapping them.
In all honesty, I've heard somewhere that putting OOS freight cars on track in the winter helps to stabilize it to an extent.
  by Kaback9

I have heard that too, but If this is the first time in a few years cars are being placed there it probably has to do with the economy. The cars helping to stabilize the track somewhat would be an added bonus.
  by transit383

Many more cars have since been placed on the west side of the branch, between West Trenton Station and the NJDOT Headquarters. There were originally only four Railbox cars on this side, but now the line of stored cars stretches out of sight.
  by Kaback9

Then I think its safe to say its economy related.
  by JADes718

you beet me to it it was just out and noticed those.
  by transit383

As of today, all the stored boxcars on the Trenton Industrial have been removed.