• Trenton Industrial Activity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Kaback9

transit383 wrote:As of today, all the stored boxcars on the Trenton Industrial have been removed.
Hmm...that is very odd. Maybe they need them again?
  by BuddSilverliner269

Kaback9 wrote:
transit383 wrote:As of today, all the stored boxcars on the Trenton Industrial have been removed.
Hmm...that is very odd. Maybe they need them again?
They are now parked in Woodbourne Yard. They are very visible from I95. I suspect that maybe the Homasote plant isnt quite dead yet and that CSX maybe moved them because they are awaiting a car for that customer?
  by JADes718

I don't know. Homasote hasn't gotten shipments in for a while, from what i've been told. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  by wolfboy8171981

Also keep in mind that unlike at 3M, the cars stored on the Trenton I.T were boxcars, and leaser cars at that. This is the typical time of year when shipments that would normally go in those cars would pick up.
  by Kaback9

Nice stuff!
  by BuddSilverliner269

Well Id like to think that Homasote isnt quite dead yet and that they are waiting for a car or 2 because all CSX have did if that wasnt the case was move the cars from the Trenton IND to WOodbourne Yard and thats it. They are still sitting there since they were moved down there.
  by transit383

There was a train on the Trenton Industrial today with a lone car coming out of Homasote. Passed by the NJDOT Headquarters around 3:45PM. Is Homasote receiving cars again?
  by Boosie

Really? I had heard that they hadn't shipped by rail in ages. This is good news. What type of freight car?

Sad to think about how that line was once bursting with customers all the way through North Trenton and into Lawrence Township on Carnegie Road/Route 1. Back when Trenton Made and the World Took. :(
  by transit383

Here is a shot of yesterday's train:

CSX 2646 on the Trenton Industrial

Two CSX MOW trucks were out working on the Lower Ferry Road crossing this morning. Perhaps a sign of regular service returning to the line?
  by transit383

And here's a shot of the rest of the train sitting at CP-Trent:

CSXT 6150 at West Trenton

This train ran with two engines, CSX 2646 on the east end and CSX 6150 on the west end. Not sure if anything came off this train for Homasote or when the car that came out of Homasote was originally delivered.
  by BuddSilverliner269

transit383 wrote:Here is a shot of yesterday's train:

CSX 2646 on the Trenton Industrial

Two CSX MOW trucks were out working on the Lower Ferry Road crossing this morning. Perhaps a sign of regular service returning to the line?
How funny when I mentioned that Homosote would probably be recieving a car and thats why the stored boxcars were moved to Woodbourne Yard and everyone seemed to have shot my idea down.Ive been in the industry long enough to know whats going on :wink:
  by CRRNJ878

pardon my ignorance on this subject guys...but I'm from north jersey and attended Trenton State College years back...I always wondered where the spurs that crossed Olden Ave (I assume to local industries) originated from...Was it the Trenton Industrial?

Thanks in advance..
  by Boosie

I believe you are correct. There were a few spurs crossing Olden Avenue in north Trenton/Ewing, but I'm pretty sure they all connected to this "Trenton Industrial" branch of the Reading Railroad.
  by Boosie

Someone actually created a website posting the Reading Railroad's 1954 Freight Shippers Guide, and check out the Reading's Trenton Industrial!

Looks like Homasote, being relatively close to the Reading main line, was designated as the "Agasote station." That "station" served Homasote and the NJ State Hospital: http://www.readingmodeler.com/modules.p ... rt&sid=139
Transit383's photos and the information in this thread put in perspective that Homasote has been shipping by rail, on and off, for over fifty years. :-)

Then there was an "Ajax Park station" that served a few customers: http://www.readingmodeler.com/modules.p ... rt&sid=140

Going further down the line into Trenton, there was a "Hillcrest station" with a few more customers: http://www.readingmodeler.com/modules.p ... rt&sid=143

But then check out the list of over 160 shippers in Trenton! http://www.readingmodeler.com/modules.p ... rt&sid=144 That long list of customers really highlights the industrial powerhouse Trenton once was. Even if you assume that most of those listed customers were only occasional team track users, there must have been some really long local freights heading down that line in those days....