Railroad Forums 

• The remaining GP-40FH-2's: The End?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#461518  by NJT4272

Work brought me past the MMC and over the Pulaski Skyway today. From that vantage, I can see that there are MANY FH's lined up on the east end of the club.

Is this the beginning of the end?

What's the inside scoop? Are we finally too late to get our last photos?

I counted well more than half the remaining fleet back there!

Is it over?

#461566  by steemtrayn

The engines you saw on the east end (and a few more on the west end) have their tanks drained with "Do not fuel- engine out of service" tags placed on them. If any are seen still running, take a pic while you still can.

#461573  by transit383

I got a shot of 4139 in Raritan last week running the RVL on a revenue train. Looked like it was freshly washed too. Could the 4139 be the last of the Mohicans?

#461574  by ApproachMedium

Oh my, So what the hell do they plan on filling the FH spaces with? I guess PLs are a bit more relyable these days. I have been seeing FH's still running on the coast line here and there when I ride in the morings but it seems like its been more and more nothing but GP40s and F40s lately. Hopefully NJT plans to do something resourcefull with the remaining FH units. Either rebuilding them like MTA did with theirs or having them rebuilt as a different model loco would make sense. But this is NJT, they never do anything that makes sense. Kiss em' goodbye!

#461583  by transit383

Going through my records, this is the last time I have seen the following units. Doesn't mean the last day they ran, just the last time I've seen them:

4135 - 10/06/06 (NJCL)
4136 - 08/15/07 (RVL)
4137 - 10/03/06 (RVL)
4138 - 06/19/07 (NJCL)
4139 - 10/22/07 (RVL)
4140 - 05/04/07 (RVL)
4141 - 09/21/07 (NJCL)
4142 - 08/24/07 (NJCL)
4143 - 08/10/06 (RVL)
4144 - 07/26/07 (NJCL)

I didn't realize until just now that many of these units haven't shown their face in over a year (4135, 4137, 4143).

#461606  by blockline4180

AntNJTrainSet wrote:Oh my, So what the hell do they plan on filling the FH spaces with? I guess PLs are a bit more relyable these days. I have been seeing FH's still running on the coast line here and there when I ride in the morings but it seems like its been more and more nothing but GP40s and F40s lately. Hopefully NJT plans to do something resourcefull with the remaining FH units. Either rebuilding them like MTA did with theirs or having them rebuilt as a different model loco would make sense. But this is NJT, they never do anything that makes sense. Kiss em' goodbye!
Oh wow, someone who I actually agree with!! So, right out of the blue NJT is already retiring the remaining FH's?? Makes a lot of sense!! :P
I thought NJT was short on power just last month. Are they magically not short anymore???? Don't hold your breath on any of these engines getting rebuilt. Looks like there gone for good if infact they were all drained!!

They better press those P40's into service soon cause there gonna need them!!

#461659  by nick11a

An end of a the NJT FH-2s. NJT could have rebuilt them again like MN, but I guess they feel it is time to move on.

#461736  by Steve F45

pl42's reliable? LOL. I was waiting in secaucus last thursday for my bcl train to rutherford when the main line to PJ arrived on track g and had 4008 originally leading and had 4110 pick it up for a tow.

how much older are the FH's compared tot he F40s?

#461766  by Jtgshu

The 4139 was still out in Raritan this evening.......

The FH's were built in 1987, and have not have a major rebuild/overhaul since. the F40's were rebuilt in the 1997-1998 time frame. So is like the F40s are ten years younger than the FH's.

#461779  by steemtrayn

I hear that the "dead" ones will be towed to Bay Head for storage.

#461784  by sixty-six

4141 was last seen on the Aqua Track.

#461822  by blockline4180

jimzim66 wrote:4141 was last seen on the Aqua Track.

I believe you got 4139, 4141 and maybe one other left. After the Aqua Track season is done kiss them all goodbye.

Maybe the ever popular "clown club" called URHS could eventually pick up a graffiti-laden one in Bay Head! :P

#461833  by Jtgshu

You know, you joke about restoration, but if you think about it, they are a "one off" model - very rare and unique. Being that only what, 20 were ever built/kitbashed, you gotta wonder if at least one will be saved. Remember, 5 are already gone, being rebuilt into the MP20's or whatever their designation is.

Not to mention, they are about 10 years older than the famous E units were when they were retired from service. And it is a unique loco, that was the replacement for the E units, which is probably why they used the long hoods of the F45's, to keep the full body style - a "modern E unit" if you will.

We look back at all the "historic" and "rare" pieces of equipment that met their end at places like Naparandos, and that there are no more left. This is how that happened. You get so used to seeing them, they get boring, then one day, viola, they are gone, and its too late.

The 4143 has been running around in extra service/test trains for a few months now. Was running fine the last I heard/saw/ran

#461837  by hsr_fan

Might we start seeing PL42's on the Coast Line?

#461857  by SecaucusJunction

Only if you want to see a lot of broken down trains!