Railroad Forums 

• The Honorary Nonsense 7277 Sideswipe Where's Cruiser Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#581533  by NJT4616

Around 10:23PM Saturday September 20, 2008 while onboard NJCL train 7277, my train appeared to have what I thought was an imapct, hit and run, with an oncoming train on the other track. The incident in question happened somewhere between Middletown and Red Bank. At the time of the incident I was riding in the back end lefthand-side (3 seater) of Comet V coach 6564 on a 9 car Long Branch bound local. We had left NY penn behind schedule and were running about 8 - 10 minutes late. At about 10:23PM a westbound ( NY Penn bound ) train impacted the side of our train right below my window and bounced off, flying away completely unscathed; the whole of it lasted about 2 - 3 seconds at max. During the impact there was a lound thunderous thud followed by the shrill squealing of what sounded like metal-on-metal and then silence. I have ridden this line back and forth from Belmar to New York for atleast 13 years, and am quite familliar with the sounds of two passing trains at a meetup as it happens atleat 2-3 times throughout the entire route; this was definately NOT that. I understand that these supposed meetups are scheduled to occurr at certain areas along the line, however as I had said, this train I was on was late. For the record, there are atleast 2 other people in the party I was travelling with that caroborate with me on this event and have simmilar accounts of what happened.

I have already filed a complaint with NJ Transit askinf them to investigate and was just wondering if anyone else was onboard and had noticed anything?
 #581607  by nick11a

Well, anything is possible. Also, a NY Penn bound train would be an eastbound train, not a westbound train. LIRR NY Penn bound trains run westbound.
 #581611  by Kaback9

NJT4616 wrote:Around 10:23PM Saturday September 20, 2008 while onboard NJCL train 7277, my train appeared to have what I thought was an imapct, hit and run, with an oncoming train on the other track. The incident in question happened somewhere between Middletown and Red Bank. At the time of the incident I was riding in the back end lefthand-side (3 seater) of Comet V coach 6564 on a 9 car Long Branch bound local. We had left NY penn behind schedule and were running about 8 - 10 minutes late. At about 10:23PM a westbound ( NY Penn bound ) train impacted the side of our train right below my window and bounced off, flying away completely unscathed; the whole of it lasted about 2 - 3 seconds at max. During the impact there was a lound thunderous thud followed by the shrill squealing of what sounded like metal-on-metal and then silence. I have ridden this line back and forth from Belmar to New York for atleast 13 years, and am quite familliar with the sounds of two passing trains at a meetup as it happens atleat 2-3 times throughout the entire route; this was definately NOT that. I understand that these supposed meetups are scheduled to occurr at certain areas along the line, however as I had said, this train I was on was late. For the record, there are atleast 2 other people in the party I was travelling with that caroborate with me on this event and have simmilar accounts of what happened.

I have already filed a complaint with NJ Transit askinf them to investigate and was just wondering if anyone else was onboard and had noticed anything?

If something happened I think they would have stopped the train to see what was going on, did you ask an A/C or the Conducter if something had gone on?
 #581651  by geoffand

NJT4616 wrote:Around 10:23PM Saturday September 20, 2008 while onboard NJCL train 7277, my train appeared to have what I thought was an imapct, hit and run, with an oncoming train on the other track. The incident in question happened somewhere between Middletown and Red Bank.

Ouch. Everyone can recall disasters that have happened when normal citizens or employees called those in charge to let them know about an abnormal experience and those in charge dismissed the account or didn't follow up. Hopefully NJT takes this seriously. I'd hate to read about a disaster involving this exact location or one of those two train sets...
 #581719  by Jtgshu

I wouldn't be too worried about it - it sounds like maybe one of the doors/covers of the undercar compartments got loose or unlatched and maybe got sucked open while the other train was passing and it made contact with your car. It might or might not have ripped it the door off. Or maybe one of the guards inbetween the cars broke off and thats what made contact (i doubt it though - my money is on the undercar panels for circuit breakers and relays, etc) While it might have been loud and scary, its not a real big deal, nor is the damage real bad.

the crew probably had no idea that anything happened, because it sounds like it was isolated to one part of one car. Did you notify the crew or just send a letter to NJT?

I mean, if something did happen, and you didn't notify the crew to check it out, and instead waited to write a letter, what good would that do? That equipment would run as another train later on and pass other trains on that trip - waiting to write a note to NJT that wouldn't be read until monday AM the earliest doesn't seem like the most prudent thing to do.........if you were concerned enough to write a letter, SURELY you would have had the wherewithall to mention it to the crew so they could check it out at a nearby station????

Im not saying what you are saying happened or not, im just wondering if your "course of action" was the best choice.........cause it don't make much sense.

Before anyone gets in a panic, the tracks are far enough apart that the trains cannot sideswipe each other, espeically because the track is straight as an arrow from the curve east of Middletown to the "Route 35 curve" west of Red Bank station. Also the fact that your train was late has nothing to do with it - its double track railroad - schedules don't matter with meets or anything.
 #581727  by sullivan1985

NJT4616 wrote:however as I had said, this train I was on was late
All NJ Transit trains MUST meet at precise scheduled locations on the railroad where there are two or more main tracks with the proper clearance or a side swipe will occur. However, because your train was late, the Coast Line Dispatcher was forced to issue a Form D Line 13 to authorize the two trains involved to pass one another outside of the designated scheduled safe zone. This resulted in your side swipe. Had the train been on time, this never would have happened. The Conductor and Engineer of both trains involved where entirely aware that there train was to collide with another. Had the Form D Line 13 not been issued, the crew would have been completely oblivious to the fact that they just hit another train.

I'm sure you will receive a courtesy ticket or two with your complaint.

:: rolls eyes ::

NEXT...
 #582040  by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:
NJT4616 wrote:however as I had said, this train I was on was late
All NJ Transit trains MUST meet at precise scheduled locations on the railroad where there are two or more main tracks with the proper clearance or a side swipe will occur. However, because your train was late, the Coast Line Dispatcher was forced to issue a Form D Line 13 to authorize the two trains involved to pass one another outside of the designated scheduled safe zone. This resulted in your side swipe. Had the train been on time, this never would have happened. The Conductor and Engineer of both trains involved where entirely aware that there train was to collide with another. Had the Form D Line 13 not been issued, the crew would have been completely oblivious to the fact that they just hit another train.

I'm sure you will receive a courtesy ticket or two with your complaint.

:: rolls eyes ::

NEXT...
Wow Sully. That is the most thought-out and elaborate piece of garbage that I've read in a while. :-) Hahahaha.
 #582044  by Uzi-Cat

Hit and runs happen but not often. By the way, thank you to whoever edited that out of the thread title. The best thing an Engineer can do is to just keep going. If he stops and the police respond, he will have to show his license, registration and proof of insurance. That can get ugly. What most likely happened was the Engineer on your train swerved to avoid hitting a squirrel. Possibly, the passing train also did the same and the result was a collision like you experienced. I often will swerve the train to avoid the critters. Groundhogs are tough because they usually just stare at you. The squirrels, raccoons and deer at least try to run away. Another possibility is that the steering wheel was a little loose and the slop in the steering caused a little back-and-forth action with the train. The Alp44 O's and E's are going in for a reliability rebuild soon and if one of those engines was on your train, I would say that could be a cause. One of the more annoying things too is when some newbie or elderly engineer runs all the way down the northeast corridor with their turn signal on. God is that annoying. Or you get a train doing the speed limit on the fast track and all the other trains are forced to pass them on the slow track. AAGGGHHHH.
 #582053  by nick11a

wpdj61 wrote:Hit and runs happen but not often. By the way, thank you to whoever edited that out of the thread title.
That would be your trusty moderator. Ahh, more satire. :-) Very good!
 #582056  by geoffand

Jtgshu wrote: Before anyone gets in a panic, the tracks are far enough apart that the trains cannot sideswipe each other, espeically because the track is straight as an arrow from the curve east of Middletown to the "Route 35 curve" west of Red Bank station.
Unless there is a problem with the track. I know it is highly unlikely... but hey, it could happen. Anything can happen at anytime in anyplace on the railroad. Right? :-D
 #582057  by nick11a

geoffand wrote:....but hey, it could happen. Anything can happen at anytime in anyplace on the railroad. Right? :-D
Especially in here. ;-) (just poking fun)
 #582058  by geoffand

nick11a wrote:
geoffand wrote:....but hey, it could happen. Anything can happen at anytime in anyplace on the railroad. Right? :-D
Especially in here. ;-) (just poking fun)
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Right!

Anything... Anything.... Anything... (to mimic Hillary's SNL satire)
 #582061  by CNJGeep

Obviously what happened is that your engineer tried to illegally pass the other train on the right. :-D
 #582062  by Chessie GM50

wpdj61 wrote:Hit and runs happen but not often. By the way, thank you to whoever edited that out of the thread title. The best thing an Engineer can do is to just keep going. If he stops and the police respond, he will have to show his license, registration and proof of insurance. That can get ugly. What most likely happened was the Engineer on your train swerved to avoid hitting a squirrel. Possibly, the passing train also did the same and the result was a collision like you experienced. I often will swerve the train to avoid the critters. Groundhogs are tough because they usually just stare at you. The squirrels, raccoons and deer at least try to run away. Another possibility is that the steering wheel was a little loose and the slop in the steering caused a little back-and-forth action with the train. The Alp44 O's and E's are going in for a reliability rebuild soon and if one of those engines was on your train, I would say that could be a cause. One of the more annoying things too is when some newbie or elderly engineer runs all the way down the northeast corridor with their turn signal on. God is that annoying. Or you get a train doing the speed limit on the fast track and all the other trains are forced to pass them on the slow track. AAGGGHHHH.
Man, I feel for you. You know how many times I've been highballing my Jeep Liberty down the Corridor, and a toaster passes me. I almost hit a deer this morning passing New Brunswick. Good thing for the seat belt in the cab, the FRA is really stepping up here with saftey. (Although the passengers almost flew forward) Too bad for me that my Jeep isn't grandfathered into the 800,000 pound minimum strength. Ah well, I'll probably park it in MMC, and wait for it to be scrapped. I heared a rumor that UTA needed something to help pull it's new buses called the comet 1's...

I'm not a shopmaster In a railyard, but if something was sideswiped, I'd expect a rather large dent on the car's side.
 #582080  by Raritan Express

Hmm, where's JT with his popcorn when you want it? :-D