Railroad Forums 

• TERMINATED ON LAST DAY OF PROBATION!!! HELP.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#955785  by MANVSMACHINE

Hey, I was recently working for Metro-North in transportation. I made it all the way through to the last day of probation and they terminated me. My GF vouched for me as one of his best workers but the director of my craft still terminated me, because I had 6 late days because of personal problems that interrupted my time. I never missed a day and was given a verbal warning. After the verbal warning by the director I never had a lateness but he still terminated me on my last day. The union can't help me and I tied fighting it, but no help. I'm overly upset because I worked hard to get that position and waited for it for 2 years. Now they said I can't re-apply for 2 more years. I'm looking to apply for LIRR, will this affect my chances? Any help will suffice. Thanks!
 #955839  by jz441

Probation period on the railroad must be taken very seriously! There is nothing that you can do to get your job back, since railroads have the right to let you go for any minor infraction. I always tell the new hires to be extremely careful while on probation period, to do what they are told, not to argue with their instructors and to be ON TIME.
Remember, railroads don't care about your personal problems. They demand 100% of your attention. Once past probation period you can seek help from the EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and they can arrange the time off to deal with your hardship without railroads interference.

Once fired from a certain railroad, they will never hire you back. You would be wasting your time and resources trying to get back on. You are better off applying with the different RR.
Last edited by jz441 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #955859  by DutchRailnut

6 late days in probation ?? I have not had that many in 27 years at MNCR
 #955896  by slchub

Not much you or your union rep. can do until you are over your derail.

The RR is a lifestyle, not just a job. For you and anyone else contemplating the RR as a career, your "personal problems" are best left at the door and had better not interfere with the RR at all. I've known guys who have missed the birth of their child, late for their own wedding, child's birthday, etc.

Best to find another job/career if you cannot provide 100% to the RR, and attend to your "personal life" during your "rest period".
 #955897  by enginedave

That sucks. The problem is you have no union protection until you're over that 90 day hump. If I get hired, that concerns me a great deal. It was easier when I was younger without a family. Now that I'm older with a disabled wife, I hope the inlaws will pick up the slack until I can get the Family Leave Act help.
 #955908  by jz441

enginedave wrote: Now that I'm older with a disabled wife, I hope the inlaws will pick up the slack until I can get the Family Leave Act help.
You can get the Family Leave after a year.
 #955914  by truck6018

MANVSMACHINE wrote: Now they said I can't re-apply for 2 more years. I'm looking to apply for LIRR, will this affect my chances? Any help will suffice. Thanks!
Even if you applied again in two years your chances are slim to none. They go back ten years of job history with all new applicants. Additionally, there's that part of the application that asks if you ever worked for Metro North or any other MTA subsidiary. I don't know if LIRR will ask this or not but it wouldn't surprise me if they do.
 #955945  by COEN77

OUCH!!! 6 late days in passenger service on probation. I don't think I had that many in 32+ years of freight service. Passenger is a whole different ballgame with schedules. Like others stated "personal" problems & the railroad don't mix. I remember being late my first day of orientation blocked by an outbound train the building I needed to be at was within view on the otherside of the tracks. Got my rear end chewed out and was told there is always a way around everything. After that I learned every side road ect...to make it on time. Ask yourself would another job other than the railroad except such behavior? Probabley not it shows a pattern.
 #955951  by Trainer

Probation in any job must be taken seriously. There are too many good people eager to work for any company to want to rely on somebody who routinely comes in late. It's not fair for the company or for co-workers for a new employee to demand that his personal problems become their workplace problems.

However, the good news is that you were not "terminated"... you simply did not pass your probation. Employers look at the probationary period as a no-fault trial period where either party can size the other one up, and MN should NOT tell other employers that you were terminated involuntarily. You can simply say that things didn't work as far as your schedule with Mtro North and you left on your own accord, and most employers will not contradict that. Had you been asked to leave the company after 91 days, it would be very different.
 #956004  by Gadfly

This should serve as an example of what we have been telling people all along. The railroad is VERY serious about what they tell you. We are very serious about what we say because many of us have LIVED that lifestyle, and it pays to listen to the advice here. It has already been stated that there is nothing you can do. Probation is probation and it means what it says! If you don't take it seriously and violate it, you are DONE! It is just that simple. Furthermore, it speaks to today's societal view of laxness and non-commital to duty that the railroad will NOT tolerate! We often mention the railroad's similarity to the military and it is very true. One of the first rules in our General Conduct & Safety Rulebook is, "Attention to duty is required.......you are here to do a day's work for a day's pay, etc.........." That is exactly what they expect, and they WILL get it, too, or you will find yourself permanently "on the ground".
Not to make it worse, but let it be a lesson to you that you will never forget. IF you ever get another chance, IF you ARE serious about a railroad career, take these words seriously. The railroad is like nothing, like no other career, you will ever experience. If you are serious, then BE serious and forget about "personal problems" and know the company does NOT care. They care about moving freight (or people) over the road. :)

GF
 #956015  by Noel Weaver

I absolutely agree with most of the others on here. In my 41 years on the railroad you could count on one hand the number of times that I was late and you didn't need all five fingers either. On the railroad you have responsibilities and one of the most important is to show up for work at the appointed time. If you can't be dependable you do not belong on the railroad.
The railroad was only trying to avoid more problems with this employee in the future and I believe their action was warranted.
Noel Weaver
 #956059  by MANVSMACHINE

WOW! It was a 5 month probation that I was on! I came from a graphic corporate world into the railroad for stability. I can honestly say the corporate world runs totally different. Those 6 times within those 5 times were all legitimate reasons that were out of my control. Things happen in life that we as people can't control, and time is one of them. I bust my ass to get there everyday on time and worked my ass off. I took that job more than serious, it was my only livelihood. If it's paying my bills, then its serious, TRUST ME! I thank you all for your advice on the matter, but now I realize them letting me go was probably the best thing for me and a wake up call.
 #956099  by Gadfly

MANVSMACHINE wrote:WOW! It was a 5 month probation that I was on! I came from a graphic corporate world into the railroad for stability. I can honestly say the corporate world runs totally different. Those 6 times within those 5 times were all legitimate reasons that were out of my control. Things happen in life that we as people can't control, and time is one of them. I bust my ass to get there everyday on time and worked my ass off. I took that job more than serious, it was my only livelihood. If it's paying my bills, then its serious, TRUST ME! I thank you all for your advice on the matter, but now I realize them letting me go was probably the best thing for me and a wake up call.
Many people who come from the corporate, 9 to 5 world do find it difficult to adjust to the schedule of the railroads who expect you to BE there. As you build time, you can also build up vacation, sick leave, and personal days with which to take care of "personal problems". If you can get past that probation period and demonstrate dedication to the job, it is sometimes possible to "mark off" for emergencies. I only had a couple of unforseen absences in my career as well. One was one morning when I was on my way to work at 7 AM with PLENTY of time to arrive. I was following another car when his bumper literally flew off, and before I could dodge it, I ran over it and ruined two tires! within a mile of the shops! :( Well, there I was with only one spare so I was stuck. I called the shop and told my supervisor what was wrong and she asked where I was. She came out there, we called a mobile tire repair guy, and he put on two tires. (Cost me $290, too) :( When I got my paycheck, there was no docking of pay: I got paid for the hour and a half that I was late. Why? Because (and as my boss put it) she knew that I was NEVER late to work and, when the coffee was not made that morning, she knew something had happened to me!

There are people who are chronically late. I've known these kinds all my life. You have, too. Its the guy that tells you that he will be there at 8 AM, and he shows (if at all) at 8:20! No matter the hour, they always seem to "fudge" or make excuses for their habitual tardiness and, indeed, see nothing wrong with it! It is part of their ethic (?) They have been taught, or have convinced themselves, that it is OK. And it is NOT "OK"! It is, at the very least, inconsiderate and presumptive, and at its worst, disruptive to the lives and work of other people! IOW, It is all about "ME" and my problems and screw YOU! There is a huge difference in the occasional late arrival and and an habitual offender. I don't mean to be harsh, but if I were a railroad supervisor, I would deal with the "problem" in the same way! GONE! :)
Last edited by Gadfly on Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #956119  by COEN77

MANVSMACHINE wrote:WOW! It was a 5 month probation that I was on! I came from a graphic corporate world into the railroad for stability. I can honestly say the corporate world runs totally different. Those 6 times within those 5 times were all legitimate reasons that were out of my control. Things happen in life that we as people can't control, and time is one of them. I bust my ass to get there everyday on time and worked my ass off. I took that job more than serious, it was my only livelihood. If it's paying my bills, then its serious, TRUST ME! I thank you all for your advice on the matter, but now I realize them letting me go was probably the best thing for me and a wake up call.
Huh! We control the use of our time not the other way around. You keep stating they were all legitimate reasons out of your control. After the first incident of tardiness it should of been your last. You're making excuses. You state the probation was 5 months but you were late 6 times. You seem surprised they let you go. Working for the railroad I've had to cancel & reschedule everything from doctor & dentist appointments, home closings ect....I've missed family functions, childrens school & sports activities ect.....Sorry you didn't get the point after the director gave you a warning an I'm sure the first couple of times they would of swept it under the rug but seems it continued. Your right the corporate world ran totally different.