• TERMINATED ON LAST DAY OF PROBATION!!! HELP.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by truck6018

Reading the comments made I'm thinking about my first day on the job and the words of wisdom given to me by my DM (district manager) at the time. Simply put he told me while on probation there are two no no's. First was do not mark off. Second was do not show up late... ever!

Fast forward to now (3 years later and still never late).... yesterday I got a call from one of my assistant managers and asked me if I was late to work last Friday and the answer was no. However because of big brother (or Kronos) I was to be docked 30 minutes. Because me manager knows me never to be late he was able to question me while validating the payroll for the week.

The real reason that Kronos was showing the dock was because I was diverted to a different job that day. Instead of my regular job, a 8 1/2 hour job with a 30 minute unpaid dinner break I worked a 8 hour job with a paid 20 minute break. The start times were the same but the quit time was 1/2 difference. As a result the timekeeper wasn't made aware of the diversion and calculated the time based on my regular job #.
  by Gadfly

I think, too, you will find that typical "blue collar" jobs, those not on salary and paying an hourly wage, etc, are the same way!
In the corporate "salaried" world, workers often have more control over their time and more flexibility. It *could* lead to someone mis-construing how much "freedom" he has, and thinking punctuality is not critical. Oh, well...lesson learned, maybe! :(

GF
  by MANVSMACHINE

I've learned that the railroad is not a job or career it is a lifestyle. I got the warning from the director and was never late after that, I took it serious. I just had a good case of bad luck for those 6 times, they were serious problems, that I could not control. Hey, things happen for a reason. Thanks for the replies even the harsh ones!
  by COEN77

MANVSMACHINE wrote:I've learned that the railroad is not a job or career it is a lifestyle. I got the warning from the director and was never late after that, I took it serious. I just had a good case of bad luck for those 6 times, they were serious problems, that I could not control. Hey, things happen for a reason. Thanks for the replies even the harsh ones!
They might of seemed harsh. If it helps someone else from making the same mistake then all is not lost. The railroad is definitely a lifestyle.
  by theozno

DutchRailnut wrote:6 late days in probation ?? I have not had that many in 27 years at MNCR
Having a train late on the Danbury until Manual Block is Gone now that would be hell. Kudos keeping my Super Thru train on time Dutch
  by Georgia Railroader

It sucks but that's how it goes while on probation. Even after probation, they dont put up with tardyness. It's a demanding lifestyle for sure.
  by gp80mac

Probably not so much the tardiness - but the fact that personal problems were already interfering with your job. Maybe they were afraid it would only get worse?
  by Clean Cab

It sucks you were canned, but a during a probation period it is VERY important that you show up on time. The fact that you were late 6 times is alarming and to be quite honest, MN gave you 5 breaks too many. You may have had legit reasons for being late, but I'm sure you were told when you hired out that you will be carefully monitored during your probationary period. I've heard of people being fired only 30 days into their probation for being late twice. I feel for you, but MN gave you a fair shot, and you did not do your part. Sorry if that seems mean.

I've been with MN 26 years and I've only been late 3 times, all do to weather. I usually arrive at least a half hour before my job begins.
  by djlong

I can sympathize with the "it's not my fault" feelings. But I had to do a turnaround with my feelings when I entered the workforce some 30+ years ago.

When my first wife left - it wasn't my company's problem.
When my adoptive mother committed suicide - it wasn't my company's problem (though I had personal time I could take)
When my kids were born, I'd been with the company long enough to have vacation time accrued.
When my car broke down, I got a loaner.
When gridlock struck, I found a way around it.
When my wife got sick when I was early in a job, I arranged transportation to get her where she needed to go.
When I didn't feel well, I went in ANYway and let THEM tell me to go home.

What I *did* discover over the years is that we're not really taught how to "think creatively" to get around things that look impossible. Now, after all these years, I wish someone had a pamphlet or SOMEthing that could have taught me how to think in a way that we'd now call "outside the box" without the grief I encountered early on in my career.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

i'd rather be one hour early, than one minute late. during probation? there's no such thing as "out of my control", unless you're lying in the hospital. i got almost 30 years in, and still am the first one to arrive for the job. you can't allow distractions to keep you from the job.
  by MANVSMACHINE

As I read these comments I don't look for any sympathy in the matter! I am a true believer that things happen for a reason, I now know this wasn't the path for me. I see the many successful workers here who decided to take that path, I commend you all. I look at the experience as a lesson well learned, but I will say this much your life should not be consumed of a JOB. On that note I thank you all and hope those who pursue a career with the railroad a successful future. Thank You!
  by COEN77

MANVSMACHINE wrote: I see the many successful workers here who decided to take that path, I commend you all. I look at the experience as a lesson well learned, but I will say this much your life should not be consumed of a JOB.
You're absolutely correct. An individual makes a FREE choice to work under the conditions set by the terms and requirements of the job. If they can't they're also free to quit.
  by CN Sparky

Sorry bud.. but as a former manager (in my career before the railway), I would 'let you go' for six late starts in a probationary period too. If you can't make it on time, find someone else who can.

Now in the railway... there are people lined up willing to do anything for those jobs... good money and benefits, some people actually like the work.. why would they stick with someone who can't show up on time? There's a hundred-plus people lined up for your job already.
  by Clean Cab

Not everyone's life can fit into the requirements of railroad life. I hope that those that desire to work for a railroad learn from this incident.
  by Pj

Probation/derail period is very serious.

Hell, three people in my class when I hired out where written up for not pushing in their chairs for safety/tripping hazards..even though they were next to a wall. If there is a way, there is a rules violation that can be used :)