Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metraRI

This is the thread to post station construction updates outside of the current/soon to be completed New Start Projects on SWS, NCS, and UP-W.

Yesterday I decided to get up early and take SWS's 1st inbound train at 5:22 then take a ride on BNSF followed by UP-NW.

The Western Springs station is looking good, all though it is probably at the same phase of construction as SWS's Oak Lawn station. That was the only big project I saw on BNSF.

On UP-NW there are quite a few projects going on. Projects at Jefferson Park, Dee Road, Arlington Park, Pingree Road, and Crystal lake were all in gear and making progress. The new Pingree Road station reminds me of Palos Heights, in design and lateness. Dee Road has been under construction for a while, It looks like UP is going to move the main over to fit a new center platform across from the new station. I last rode UP-NW in Feb., in that time the Crystal Lake renovation looks unchanged on the outside.

by MikeF

I can't believe how long the Arlington Park project has taken. I began working near there in March of last year and the station was under construction then. More than a year later, platform work is still ongoing.

The new Schaumburg station on the Milwaukee District West Line is well underway and is somewhat reminicent of the new National Street station, which opened last year.

by metraRI

What exactly are they doing at Arlington Park?

The inbound platform is new with what looked like three single platforms for every track, with a new island platform under construction. I couldn't tell if there was a new station on the outbound side or if it was still the old one. I would think if a new station is built, it should be built on the inbound platform, not on a platform that isn't goin to be used by any train.

by MikeF

The new station building at Arlington Park is on the south (outbound) side because there is no room for a building on the north (inbound) side -- Northwest Highway is only a few feet from the inbound platform. There's no way to change that without a major highway or track relocation project.

I haven't paid enough attention to notice exactly what they're doing with the platforms, but my impression is they're just rebuilding the existing platforms, not changing the arrangement. Although the island platform between tracks 2 and 3 (which existed before the reconstruction, by the way) could supplant the normal outbound platform on the south side of track 3, I doubt that would happen since it is much more convenient for outbound passengers to use the track 3 platform than the island platform.

by c604.

It looks like they plan to take out the outbound platform completly at Arlington. The island platorm has been widened to serve the oubound track too now. They also have built a new sidwalk very close to the south side of the outbound track that would prohibit the outbound platform from going back in without some major changes.

by MikeF

Interesting. That ought to be fun in the evening rush.

by doepack

It's good to see Dee Road get an upgrade, because the platform and shelters there looked as if they hadn't been touched in over 20 years, and they looked every bit the worse for wear. That station was long overdue for beautification.

BTW, what side of the road will the new Pingree Road station occupy? Metra's website said the station was supposed to open in spring 2005, but since that is now not the case, has a new date been set yet?

by metraRI

Pingree Road station is on the North side of the street, both inbound and outbound tracks look to have a pretty long, un-finished, platform. Metra does not really change its set date, the project just because late or the date is taken off the project completely. Palos Heights was on Metra's site for I don't know how long, but an opening time was never reset until December...when it opened.

by MikeF

As Pingree Road is a north-south thoroughfare, the station is actually on the west side. :-)

by metraRI

Hehe, shows how much I know about directions when I'm riding the train...specially in the northern suburbs. I figured since the train was moving north..well nothwest..the station would be north of the street :wink: . West makes more sense now that I think of it.

by MetraRy

cicero stations new parking lot should be opening soon replacing a free gravel lot. jefferson park ada improvements are also underway.

by MikeF

While making my rounds today, I snapped a few digital pictures of the Pingree Road station progress. They are here:
http://www.freewebs.com/mikef/pingroad.htm

by MetraRy

thanks for sharing. The station looks like its coming along pretty well. I did not realize the station was on a hill. It has a intresting style to it.

by metraRI

Is there a crosswalk at the station, or did Metra decide to kick the project "up a notch" and use an underground tunnel instead?

by MikeF

There are no crosswalks at the Pingree Road station; there is a fence between the tracks for the entire length of the platform area. The only access to the inbound platform is through the tunnel under the tracks.