Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#143646  by MetraRy

dee road looks like its coming along nicely too. It does not look like metra is going to keep the outbound platform at arlington park.

#143662  by MikeF

Yep, I took a look at the Arlington Park station during lunch on Friday and I see that indeed, there is a sidewalk along the south side of the tracks and the new island platform between tracks 2 and 3 will serve as the sole outbound platform. Seems like kind of a poor design to me.

#143672  by MetraRy

yep, its very poor. its intresting that on the UP, metra favored a combined middle track and outbound track platform. Yet, when they had the chance to construct the chicago stations on the MD-W with this style. they instead decided to move the platforms to the outside. I also couldn't believe that they are installing crosswalks at jeferson park. This was a nice struce of railroad that had no grade crossing that in my opinion could of had some nice high speed running. I really like the style of the new dee road station. did anyone else see it? The orginal Crystal Lake station is also getting a much need rehab.

#143677  by MikeF

The new Dee Road station is attractive, but for some reason I have a special place in my heart for those old brick-and-glass structures that are rapidly disappearing these days. At least Cumberland will be around for a while.

#146958  by metraRI

Pingree Road now has a new opening month...September. Lets see if Metra gets its estimate right this time.

#146975  by doepack

Let's hope so... I don't think they want a repeat of last week, when several boxes worth of UP-NW schedules had to be destroyed because the service levels shown within for new the Pingree Road station hadn't been approved by the schedule department yet, even though a few hundred (as I understand it) of these "premature" schedules somehow made print. So any of you out there that would happen to have a schedule for this route with an effective date of 8/1/05... well, looks like you've got yourself a collector's item.

#153441  by MikeF

While out chasing trains yesterday evening, I noted that construction is well underway at the new Cicero Avenue station on the Milwaukee District West Line. The platforms have been started, and a section of the embankment has been removed on the south side of the tracks a half block west of Cicero, suggesting a shelter or tunnel may be located there.

#153919  by F40CFan

MikeF wrote:While out chasing trains yesterday evening, I noted that construction is well underway at the new Cicero Avenue station on the Milwaukee District West Line. The platforms have been started, and a section of the embankment has been removed on the south side of the tracks a half block west of Cicero, suggesting a shelter or tunnel may be located there.
It seems like its been that way for at least a month. I don't know what they're doing, but they haven't made much visual progress for quite some time.

#153922  by metraRI

The Cicero station ties into the NCS New Start Expansion, so it should open sometime by early '06.

#161936  by metraRI

UP-NW's new schedule goes into effect September 4th, which of course includes the Pingree Rd. station. The afternoon rush has been changed the most with with the 3:30 train being split into a 3:25 local to Des Plaines and a 3:45 express to Des Plaines. The 6:20 local has also been pushed back 10 minutes to 6:30, the 6:30 express has been pushed up 5 minutes to 6:25.

#163790  by metraRI

It sure didn't take long for Pingree Road to get its own "station page" and to be added to the map on the UP-NW page. It only took about 2 weeks for Palos Heights to get the same on the SWS page.