Railroad Forums 

• Southwest Chief on the Ground in MO

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1603354  by Ken W2KB

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:52 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:44 am #48, Lake Shore, I presume.
Looks like it.

I do not remember ever seeing a roof emergency escape hatch in an Amtrak car. Here's two interior shots. Note that there is no roof hatch but by going to a single pane sliding door at the end of the car it allowed for a new emergency escape hatch in the door not on Viewliner Is.
The regulation does not require a hatch per se, two areas on the roof with outline marked with retroreflective material to indicate where first responders can easily cut an access hole with a circular saw without contacting interior electric wiring or compressed air lines, is also a means of compliance, and does not require inside markings.
 #1603388  by bostontrainguy

Ken W2KB wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:35 pm
bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:52 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:44 am #48, Lake Shore, I presume.
Looks like it.

I do not remember ever seeing a roof emergency escape hatch in an Amtrak car. Here's two interior shots. Note that there is no roof hatch but by going to a single pane sliding door at the end of the car it allowed for a new emergency escape hatch in the door not on Viewliner Is.
The regulation does not require a hatch per se, two areas on the roof with outline marked with retroreflective material to indicate where first responders can easily cut an access hole with a circular saw without contacting interior electric wiring or compressed air lines, is also a means of compliance, and does not require inside markings.
I did consider that but if that was the case there would be two very noticeable square areas clearly marked on the roof. There are none.

And that wouldn't do much good if you were trapped in an overturned car which was on fire and you needed to get out ASAP.
 #1603426  by Ken W2KB

In this photo of the new Venture cars one can see the roof marking (yellow dotted lines forming a square) which probably are in compliance with the federal requirement. https://www.trains.com/wp-content/uploa ... hnston.jpg
 #1603924  by STrRedWolf

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/am ... derailment
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — An Amtrak train attendant who was on board the Southwest Chief on June 27 when it collided with a dump truck has filed a lawsuit in state court.

The state lawsuit marks the first time that the Missouri Department of Transportation is listed as a defendant in the deadly crash.

Attorneys representing Iesha Coleman, of California, allege MoDOT was negligent for not addressing what they describe as “dangerous conditions” at the railroad crossing where the train struck a dump truck.

The crossing was on a 2022 MoDOT report of locations slated for upgrades.

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak), BNSF and MS Contracting LLC, the company that owned and operated the dump truck, were also named the lawsuit, filed last week in Chariton County, Missouri.