Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by bingdude

As of this morning there were no VRE cars. And I didn't see LIRR 4011. Just lots of subway R-14X? cars.

by DanSullivan

so whats the word on these?

any issues after testing?

by DutchRailnut

word is CDOT is waiting for one of VRE cab cars to return to make a cmplete set.
only problem is I don't think they send a cab car to Kawasaki yet.

by Erie-Lackawanna

Yes, a co-worker of mine who lives east of New Haven had the rebuilt cars on his SLE train last night. He says they look great.

Jim

by Clean Cab

Yes!! The newly rebuilt ex VRE cars are in service. They do look great, although I think that bright orange band above the windows is a bit too overpowering.

I have heard that a full set of these coaches will not be complete for at least another month or two when the first cab control car returns, then CDOT will either operate a special train to show the cars off, or they may be on the Christmas time special train that CDOT operates for kids with special needs.

by benltrain

What changes come with the rebuilds? Cab Signals? New paint? New interiors?

by Nester

There's another thread about the changes.
  by Clean Cab

This coming Monday night, an MN engine will pick up two rebuilt ex VRE coaches at the Yonkers Kawasaki plant, bring them to New Haven and then bring two non rebuilt coaches back to Kawasaki. The move should happen after 9:00 PM. Not a great time to take any pictures, but it might be worth watching from the Yonkers Station platform.

by Otto Vondrak

Have any of the cab-cars gone for rebuild?

by DutchRailnut

No, the 3 cab cars are still in New Haven and other 7 are still in use by VRE till end of December.

by Clean Cab

No cab cars as of yet. Here's the numbers of the coaches being returned and delivered.............

To Kawasaki: V219 & V220

From Kawasaki: 1736 & 1738

by newkirk

Hey gang...other than removal of old and installation of MN markings what did Kawasaki do you bring them up to MNRR specs ?

by DutchRailnut

As has been reported before, a total truck rebuilt, instalation of door pocket heaters so snow does not interfere with door operations.
They ran extra control wiring and did paint update on outside.
plus they rebult all airvalves.
The Cab cars will need pilot modifications, they need acses cab signaling and a 3 year overhaul on all air valves and air operated devices like horn/bell/sanders, plus all other work done on the coaches.

There is no MN markings on the VRE cars just a red band with " connecticut Department of Transportation" above the black window band, and the ends where the VRE logo was is now black with Orange NH on it. The cars are not in MNCR pool but only in SLE service out of New Haven.

3 cars in service for 2 weeks now and not one picture ????

by bingdude

MN 103 was sitting at MO this morning with a couple of VRE cars. I was sitting on the wrong side to notice at Yonkers.