Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

I've noticed that at least one ex VRE cab control cars has been put in service. I didn't catch the number though. MN issued a bulletin order putting them into service as of yesterday (1/30).

by edbac333

I caught one today on the Shoreline East turn of the Waterbury Shuttle while on my daily walk at the Derby Greenway.1351 hrs 1/31/08.

by DutchRailnut

They have actually been running to Stamford for over a week now

by M1 9147

I'm guessing that the 2 former MN/CDOT Shoreliner cab cars are still in SLE service?

by FL9AC

Actually both Shorline sets running to Stamford in the mornings on weekdays have the ex-VRE cabs on them and have for a few days now. They look REALLY good in person.

by kitn1mcc

past 2 weeks we have had them on the trains they are finicky

by DutchRailnut

yesterdays bulletin was just a speed correction, the cars are limited to 79 mph, I have no Idea what max speed on VRE was but probably same.

by Hebrewman9

DutchRailnut wrote:yesterdays bulletin was just a speed correction, the cars are limited to 79 mph, I have no Idea what max speed on VRE was but probably same.
70 I believe

by DutchRailnut

The V201-V228 plus Control cars V801 -V804 V901 to V910 are limited in VRE to 80 mph as per Amtrak Timetable

by kitn1mcc

the west end Switch at Guilford went bad on fri night so they took us around the other end and was going to back us in. but the cab car wanted nothing to do with a back up move. the Access/ATC went nuts even after they cut it out it still was saying over speed and kept applying the brakes so they went to the swiched ends took the train in then when they went back to the Cab car still it kept saying over speed.
  by Martin Baumann

Does anyone have a list of the VRE numbers for

CDOT 1701 to 1719 odd only (ex VRE 901 to 910 as they got the whole batch but were they renumbered in order?)

CDOT 1730 to 1774 even only (23 from a batch of 28 VRE 200 series)

Thanks

Martin Baumann
  by Jeff Smith

Okay, now that "merger mania" is done with older topics on the VRE cars, I have a question.

According to the wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_ ... ling_stock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and we believe EVERYTHING on wiki /s) "The Hartford Line" aka NHHS New Haven Hartford Springfield will use these cars when service starts.

Can anyone confirm that? I saw NO sourcing on the wiki page.
Rolling stock

The line currently operates with Amtrak GE Genesis locomotives and Amfleet coaches and cab cars. When the commuter rail service starts operation, the current Shore Line East EMD GP40-2 locomotives and the rebuilt VRE coaches and cab cars will be used on the New Haven-Springfield line.
  by kitn1mcc

as some one who rides these every day they need to be gone threw. The roofs leak as well as the number boards on the cab car. the toilets well just leave it at that
  by Ridgefielder

kitn1mcc wrote:as some one who rides these every day they need to be gone threw. The roofs leak as well as the number boards on the cab car. the toilets well just leave it at that
We talking M-2 levels of lavatory unpleasantness?