• Sen. Casey urges slower speeds for high-speed rail contracts

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by MEC407

george matthews wrote:
I agree with you 100%. Why not find ways for private industry to build 125-mph locomotives--which would enable domestic manufacturers to provide great products for both domestic and foreign markets? Doesn't the US already sell freight locomotives abroad?
There are hundreds of GM Class 66 locomotives in Britain, and also in the rest of Europe.
I'm fairly certain those were built in Canada, as is the case with most EMD locomotives built in the past 15(?) years or so. EMD is headquartered in the U.S., but manufacturing and assembly took place in Ontario or Mexico. Cat/Progress Rail recently opened a new plant in Indiana, so U.S.-built EMD locomotives may become a reality once again.
  by george matthews

I'm fairly certain those were built in Canada, as is the case with most EMD locomotives built in the past 15(?) years or so. EMD is headquartered in the U.S., but manufacturing and assembly took place in Ontario or Mexico. Cat/Progress Rail recently opened a new plant in Indiana, so U.S.-built EMD locomotives may become a reality once again.
It's all North America to me.