Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

Just because i did not mention about the costs and the prep and getting rights to the tower, does not mean i did not forget them, but thanks for pointing that out any way.

by jayrmli

So...it's been over a month now. Has any of those who started the post made any inquisitions???

Jay

by RRChef

ROFLMAO...............of course not.........these guys just like to sit on their computers and complain

by LIRRNOVA55

Chef said it best. . :-D

by B&ABL256

amen 2 that :-D

by alcoAL

Actually I did. I emailed a couple of addresses I found on websites but got no responses back. One was an LIRR contact but once they read about the subject they probably filed it in the recycle bin. I assume you need a contact in the right dept there to get any info.

I was also going to contact the NCPD 2nd precinct to see if they had any info on their use of the tower. It was a busy month & I never got to it. It's another shot I'll try.

I also said in a previous posting for anyone on this forum to PM me if they were interested in persuing this as some type of organized group. But no one did..............

by LIRRNOVA55

alcoAL wrote:Actually I did. I emailed a couple of addresses I found on websites but got no responses back. One was an LIRR contact but once they read about the subject they probably filed it in the recycle bin. I assume you need a contact in the right dept there to get any info.

I was also going to contact the NCPD 2nd precinct to see if they had any info on their use of the tower. It was a busy month & I never got to it. It's another shot I'll try.

I also said in a previous posting for anyone on this forum to PM me if they were interested in persuing this as some type of organized group. But no one did..............
Al, i give you alot of credit for stepping up and folowiing through.

by Richard Glueck

I second NOVA's remark, Al. If the County doesn't want it, see if they'll transport it to a storage area, or someplace with the room to erect it. It's a nice little artifact. I do hope somebody has taken carefully shot detail pictures for a reconstruction or technical model.

by belpaire

Now if I were going to go about trying to save, or even find more information about, something the first thing I would do is a little research. The easiest way to start is the internet. A search engine like Google could help here. Let's see the subject is a former LIRR tower last used a a police booth in Locust Valley. Let's try Locust Valley police booth. Hmmm first hit http://www.theleaderonline.com/122105/tower.htm

by Long Island 7285

Thats a very interesting artical, when you come across it? Atleast there is some one besides myself interested in the buildings up keep and preservation. I dont know if they got the history accurate but im shure xing protection was part of the reason for some time. now that the biggest of the problem has already been completed will this group make an effort to restore the outside to origional apearance?

by Dave Keller

Belpaire:

Terrific and hopeful news!

I am very happy that restoration is underway rather than demolition.

That's a lot of letter-writing and phone-calling to get anything accomplished. I salute those involved, including the homeowners who made financial contributions!

This is getting EVERYBODY involved for the community!!!

It appears from the article that the tower is to remain at it's site as a village entry landmark. That's great too . . . . preserved in its original location. Who could ask for anything more?

Dave

by alcoAL

Belpaire,

If I googled that subject in Nov. would it have come up with that article then? If so then I'll google next week's lottery numbers :wink:

I just got an email last night with that link after I did more inquiring. One contact I tried was the Locust Valley civic association or historical society, I forget which, but they never got back to me.

Looks like the tower is in good hands. I would guess that the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum will likely be involved somehow, at least to provide history of it.

by alcoAL

I just received this as part of an email:

"Just as an update, I just received a phone call from a resident saying that he saw the work beginning on the tower.

Regards,

Dan Goodstein
Managing Editor
The Leader"

If anyone gets a chance to go by there, let the rest of us know the status.

-AL