Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by NIMBYkiller

Locust Tower should be saved simply because 35 may eventually be running on the OB and it could be part of the excursions. PD tower unfortunately does not serve all that much purpose once it is shutdown. It'd be a great place as a railfan hang out, no doubt about that, but we all know the town wont allow that to happen. They'd probably give us hell about it being structurally unstable just to prevent us from using it, even if we were to come up with any funds to purchase it.

I love PD tower and I hate to say this, but once it's done, it's done. There's no logical point to saving it. We as railfans may think there is, but are we really going to start spending our money on a place that will be visited maybe once a month. It's not like that place in Georgia where people flock to see hundreds of trains of all sorts of variations pass every single day.

by Richard Glueck

Anyone have a set of plans for "Locust"? It's small enough so everyone could have one in their yard!

by bluebelly

I must be out of the loop here. Is the former Locust Tower no longer being used as a Locust Valley PD Station? Is it scheduled for demolition? I haven't heard anything about this on campus. It would be a shame if it is as it seems to be in great shape.
Well if i hit the Mega Millions tonight I promise that I will buy it and move it to Oyster Bay.

by Long Island 7285

Blue,

I was by the tower NOV 5th and it's totally borded up and windows removed, no doors, it is clearly showing signs of pre demolition stage when they prepare the building for demolition.

It is on behalf of LIRR and Locust Valley History that we railroad fans and employees and Locust Valley residents unite and preserve the tower, there is not list to the structure as there is in Patchouge with PD tower. Locust Valley is complete with Low Level Platform intact with station and wooden shelter shead all there removeing the tower is removeing the entire place, the only just for removing the tower would be it is in danger of collaps, witch I think it just needs a restoration and it will be back to it's former glory. Lets get letters to Nassau County and request that they take a second look a this place and think before it is lost to memory and it too becomes histoy with only photographs remaining.

by 9C1LT1

Hi 7285,

Perhaps you should consider writing to your local senator and/or congressman about saving the tower. Or better yet write to the senator and/or congressman in the Oyster Bay district area. The tower would make a nice addition to the #35 museum, and its close proximity to the museum helps. Locust Valley could be a stop on their eventual run, passengers could be given tours of the tower and station, which is nicely preserved.
Mr. Clem do you know who owns Locust Tower? Was the NCPD simply given a lease to use it, or was/is there more involved. It would be nice to see it saved! I believe in Conn. A group has restored a NH tower. I was browsing “Diesels of the Sunrise Trail” today, there is a nice shot of Locust tower in full operation in there!

-Barry

by M1 9147

I mean a landmark of the town. As you enter the Locust Valley Station from the crossing, what can be fitting but the tower itself. Without the tower, it just simply won't be the same without it. Also a great location if one wanted to view the track area from the tower for sight seeing purposes if this was given to one of the mueseum's such as the 35 crew.

by RRChef

Here's a trivia question: What 1995 movie does the Locust tower appear in briefly from a distance?
Last edited by RRChef on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Long Island 7285

the trees lounge??

I don't know?

by ConductorXX

I dont think PD is salvageable. Its is in really bad shape and not sound. It is already leaning to one side, and falling apart. It is probably not possible to move it to another sight in the shape that it is in.

by Long Island 7285

ConductorXX,

As historic as PD is and it's the only thing to surivive the patchouge distruction of the '60 PD it self probly does need to come down sadly as it was poorly place and built. With this knowlege alone should be enough pull to notch out out trottles to save Locust as it is 90% more salvageable then PD and the whole station area is intact more the reason to save it.

if we let it go we will loose too much,

Clem,
Would you know if the LIRR in fact sold the tower and or it's poroertiy to Nassau county or did the LIRR lease it?

by badneighbor

if its boarded and windows are comprimised, or removed, ya better hustle, either vandals or the weather will finish it off... good luck

by Dave Keller

First, let me say that "LOCUST" (formerly "OY" tower) is (was) one of the cutest towers ever in place on the LIRR.

Look at it:

It looks like it was made by REVELL for an HO scale layout!!!

I'd love to see it preserved. As to leaving it on railroad property, that is an issue that may be a problem. The railroad wouldn't want railfans haning out the windows taking photos and fall in the path of an oncoming train!

Joe: As for "PD":

While it's in poor shape, it's amazing that it's lasted 88 years, constructed out of wood!!!!!

It's not poorly placed. It was built there for ONE purpose only: to protect the crossing of the LIRR tracks by the Suffolk Traction Company's little battery cars heading down to Patchogue Dock (PD = Patchogue Dock). It fit very well where it's been located since 1917!

Having removed the interlocking machine is like having removed the center chimney in a 17th century house. As the house was built around the center supporting chimney, so was the tower built around the supporting steel interlocking machine. Remove the plant and the main backbone of the structure suffers.

The reason why PD survived the demolition of the entire Patchogue terminal complex is as follows, so the story goes:

PD was to be demolished once the new depot was built, and the front room of the depot, just north of the ticket office and on the west side of the waiting room was to be the office for the new block station.

Someone goofed in the design of the building and the little room wound up being way too small to fit a block station therein. It was decided the tower should remain standing to serve it's purpose and the small room was relegated to storage, etc.

As much as I love PD tower, I realize that it would be impossible to save now that the interlocking plant has been removed. Once someone attempts to even touch that tower and jack it off it's footings, I'm sure it will just disintegrate as did East Williston depot once the crane took its first bite! :(

Dave Keller

by 9C1LT1

Dave, that’s a nice photo of Locust tower. Do you know what year that photo dates from? I know in the early 60's the tower said "Locust" on the second level.
Here are some photos I got of the tower and station in late August. The tower looks straight, all windows on the south and east sides are intact. The tower is nicely painted as well. In the first photo you can see the wood that prevents anyone from walking up to the second floor, where what looks like a condemned notice is posted... The second photo shows how straight the tower is, and you can see, its single track to Oyster Bay. And the third picture shows the station, which looks nicely preserved. The track has cement ties only in the station area, gives it a new look...

-Barry

by badneighbor

good shots. i hope a plan can be figured out, as always not enough time in my day for family and job etc, and the hobby suffers. good luck. it looks to be in much better shape than PD

by Dave Keller

Hi Barry:

Nice shots.

Looks like the tower is still in fine, restorable condition!!!

The reason why the tower was there, BTW, was because of the end of double track, with single track continuing out to Oyster Bay.

Same idea as "PW" at Pinelawn and "S" at Syosset and "Y" at Sayville years ago. All end of dbl track. ("Y" still is, but no cabin there since 1939 when a spring switch was installed and signal controlled from "PD.")

And Locust Valley is still one of my all-time favorite stations for aesthetics!!!!

Dave Keller