Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by One of One-Sixty

Sir Ray wrote:And if they were over 11'+ in height they didn't make it. I've brought tall truck/trailers that way, and I knew to take School street to get to Brush Hollow, otherwise - smack! into the trestle.
Yeah, one got lodged in there so good they actully stopped service on the mainline for fear of track and bridge damage cause there was a considerable amount of large debris from the bridge.

Its amazing that so many truckers dont know how tall their rig and trailer is, but it also could be that in May there was an increase of traffic due to the construct of the condos right there at the station on Post.

by Sir Ray

One of One-Sixty wrote:Its amazing that so many truckers dont know how tall their rig and trailer is, but it also could be that in May there was an increase of traffic due to the construct of the condos right there at the station on Post.
Since (now and for the forseeable future) not every bridge can be rebuilt to give the standard 14' clearance, I feel that eventually you will see video or laser height detectors before each underheight bridge (since, of course, simple tell-tales with plastic rods set to the clearance height, like there was on a ramp from the LIE to the Grand Central northbound, would be considered unsightly), such as the one on the 'newish' exit ramp from LIE Eastbound to CIP southbound (only 4 decades late with that exit ramp, BTW) - or, heck, the one on the overhead hot-air drier in USA car wash by the West Hempstead Line, which automatically adjusts the blower duct to the height of your vehicle.
Anyway, this detector, if triggered by excess height trailers, will turn on flashing lights on warning signs to alert the driver to the problem. I can see that in many situation (especially the 10'+ bridge crossing Cherry Vally Rd in Garden City - you can see how often that gets hit). The configuration at Post Ave. may be a bit tighter, but it can be done...
  by Head-end View

If anything ever gets done at School St, Westbury, it will more likely be a bridge over the tracks. It's easier for the Railroad and less expensive that way. Remember how long the Herricks Rd. Bridge project lasted. Very complex to relocate tracks, electrical cables and all that. A road-bridge means less disruption to the Railroad. And at School St. you're already starting uphill as you approach southbound, and coming north the flat approach drops down to the tracks so it would not be too hard to build an approach up and over since the appraoching road is already higher than the crossing. :-D