Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by freightguy

Will the the Bridge at this crossing be wide enough to accomodate three tracks underneath for the proposed triple track mainline from Queens to Hicksville?
  by Head-end View

I assume that will be part of the design; the new Mineola Blvd. bridge has an extra bay for the 3rd track on the south side. :wink:

by bellstbarn

I walked along Roslyn Road April 28, 2005, afternoon at the LIRR crossing. On the west side of Roslyn Road, an Allied Building Materials warehouse is being knocked down. Also, a private frame house (west side of Roslyn Road) at the corner of Front Street has been emptied for demolition. North and southbound road traffic was squeezed onto the northbound lanes, and a flagman with a MTA hardhat was trying to keep the cars from stopping on the tracks, most problematic because drivers kept entering the crossing when there was no more room ahead, particularly northbound, and he had to handle both directions of traffic. All the work yesterday was being done on the west side of the Road and adjacent territory. As a previous post pointed out, there are many sections of steel piping at the site. I would hate to see the tracks lowered even an inch because this could become a lake. Also, a previous post (with the bids) seemed to settle the question of (yes) the bridge will go over the tracks. As usual during weekday rush hours, the junction was fascinating for train operation. The westbound crowds on the Mineola platform testify why three tracks are needed. From 5:38 p.m. to 6:34 p.m. the LIRR provides no service westbound. The expressway and the parkways are also jammed with reverse-commuters.

by mjb777

In answer to all the questions I heard that they were going to sink Roslyn Road 5 feet and raise the tracks 2.

by Long Island 7285

sink roslyn road?

i hope they get good plumbers and a real dam good drainage and pumping system under the bridge :-)

but we shall all see...

by mjb777

If You think Roslyn Road is bad you have to see Main Street :-D

by Long Island 7285

been there, done that.

it would suck for an east bound express on the main and a westbound on the OB at the same time

not enought space between the tracks if people are stupid.

i think they need to but the full road with gates there. but eleimination is iminate

by Sir Ray

mjb777 wrote:In answer to all the questions I heard that they were going to sink Roslyn Road 5 feet and raise the tracks 2.
Not sure what that's gonna do as you need 14 ft clearance (as I believe trucks can use Roslyn Road) rail over road, which of course does not include the thickness of the infrastructure (bridge) itself (say, 4ft).
You'd need 20'2"+ clearance for Plate H (double stack) road over rail.
Long Island 7285 wrote:it would suck for an east bound express on the main and a westbound on the OB at the same time

not enought space between the tracks if people are stupid.

i think they need to but the full road with gates there. but eleimination is iminate
Umm, could you restate this, please?

by Long Island 7285

Ray,

What i ment was,

There is not enough space on the second street east of nassau tower, (where the OB branch is 2 tracks north of the main, and the main is 2 tracks.) there is about 100-200 feet between grade crossings.

if traffic is stoped at a main line grade corssing waiting an east bound, and then the gates on the OB come down with a west bound, this can caus havoc as people are too dam stupid to stop behind the tracks there.

alos how would this be elimited, if it is? rail elevated or roads sank?
  by Head-end View

I don't think you could build a bridge over the tracks at Willis Ave. or Main St. crossings. Probably the only answer would be to either elevate or depress the entire railroad in that area and there is a long sad history on that subject. :(

I think Roslyn Rd. will likely be the last crossing elimination in Mineola for the forseeable future.

by NIMBYkiller

The south end of that crossing wouldn't be too hard to built a bridge ramp I think, but the north side would be a bitch.

by One of One-Sixty

Hate to bring a up an old post being the new guy nd all, but I highly doubt they will be building a bridge, or elevating the track at Roslyn Rd, if anybody has actually read the Mainline Improvement plans all the crosses they want to elminate is west of Mineola, with the exception of the one crossing right outside of Westbury Station. I don't know where New Cassel is so I can't tell you where that is, but the whole section between Main and Roslyn will only get improved.
2.4 ROADWAY GRADE CROSSING ALTERNATIVES

The closure and/or separation of roadway grade crossings will be evaluated at the following five locations (illustrated on Figures 3 and 4):

· Covert Avenue in New Hyde Park ;

· 12 th Street in New Hyde Park ;

· New Hyde Park Road in New Hyde Park ;

· School Street in Westbury; and

· Urban Avenue in New Cassel .

Alternatives will be evaluated based on potential safety issues, anticipated effects on local traffic conditions, and cost.

by Sir Ray

One of One-Sixty wrote:Hate to bring a up an old post being the new guy nd all
No sweat, we all bump threads from time to time - good follow-up
but I highly doubt they will be building a bridge, or elevating the track at Roslyn Rd, if anybody has actually read the Mainline Improvement plans all the crosses they want to elminate is west of Mineola, with the exception of the one crossing right outside of Westbury Station
I believe the MTA project pages linked to in prior posts (now apparently gone) clearly stated this was a grade separation project
I don't know where New Cassel is so I can't tell you where that is, but the whole section between Main and Roslyn will only get improved.
New Cassel is directly East of Westbury, North of the Mainline and (more or less) south of Jericho Turnpike (well, actually south of Brush Hollow Rd/Wantagh Parkway)

2.4 ROADWAY GRADE CROSSING ALTERNATIVES

The closure and/or separation of roadway grade crossings will be evaluated at the following five locations (illustrated on Figures 3 and 4):

· Covert Avenue in New Hyde Park ;

· 12 th Street in New Hyde Park ;

· New Hyde Park Road in New Hyde Park ;

· School Street in Westbury; and

· Urban Avenue in New Cassel .

Alternatives will be evaluated based on potential safety issues, anticipated effects on local traffic conditions, and cost.
Well, the only grade crossing of the above they could even possibly consider closing is 12th St NHP - all the others are heavily, heavily used - also, School street provides the only way to get Overheight trucks (well, any truck over 11', not just overheight) over the Mainline for a fair distance in either direction, so it ain't going nowhere (same with Urban Ave, for the light industrial section between Old Country Rd and the Mainline. - yeah, Grand Ave. exists but it goes the wrong direction for Trucks going to John St)
Looks like yet another study of a study to me....

by One of One-Sixty

I'mm have to search harder for info then about Rosln Rd, then..... stupid me I was out there to watch the trains for lunch I could have asked the crew as they was doing track work today.

As for School St. I think that they can easily elevate the tracks there and sink the road as you already have to go up a steep incline to cross the the tracks, I dont see how lowering the road on either side can hurt much.

As for trucks using that route, well in the month of May I kid you not I counted 6 Semis who tried to go under the tracks on post Ave in Westbury. Speaking of which, alittle off topic, I caught a Semi on the Meadowbrook today, yes it was on the Meadowbrook, he was in the Southbound lane right at the Roosevelt Field Interchange.

Back on topic, I think they can atleast get a 16 foot clearance on School St. But the funny thing is for anybody who rides through Westbury you may have notice that they installed new rails for the 3rd rail. So who knows whats going on.

by Sir Ray

One of One-Sixty wrote:As for School St. I think that they can easily elevate the tracks there and sink the road as you already have to go up a steep incline to cross the the tracks, I dont see how lowering the road on either side can hurt much.
Are you talking about the North side - I seem to recall that the South approach to the crossing is somewhat flat.
I do like the idea of elevating the tracks, if they have at least a 14' clearance (the other crossings are simply too far away)
As for trucks using that route, well in the month of May I kid you not I counted 6 Semis who tried to go under the tracks on post Ave in Westbury.
And if they were over 11'+ in height they didn't make it. I've brought tall truck/trailers that way, and I knew to take School street to get to Brush Hollow, otherwise - smack! into the trestle.
But the funny thing is for anybody who rides through Westbury you may have notice that they installed new rails for the 3rd rail. So who knows whats going on.
What I have noticed for years is the unused sidings to the industries on either side of the mainline at that crossing - a legacy of some foolish thinking at the MTA