• Revisiting The Long Island Rail Road: 1925-1975

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

Hi Folks:

Just a quick note to let all those who are interested know that my sequel book, "Revisiting The Long Island Rail Road: 1925-1975"
is due for publication the week of Monday, 8/15 a whole month ahead of schedule! Due to Arcadia’s new electronic publishing process, the books should be available shortly thereafter.

Here’s a sneak-peek at the cover:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrbook/Vo ... 0Cover.jpg

128 pages, 209 photos (most never-before published), 1 double-paged system map, and a chapter on Morris Park Shops!

I am currently accepting advance orders for the book. Anyone interested in obtaining

an inscribed and/or autographed copy please contact me for details at: [email protected]

Thanks again for your continued support!

Dave Keller

P.S. If you haven’t gotten a copy of the first book, The Long Island Rail Road: 1925-1975,

autographed copies are still available from me as well. DK

by RetiredLIRRConductor

1925-1975 Geez I might be in there somewhere. Allready had 2 years by 1975 :wink:

by badneighbor

lirr conduct- royalties baby...!!! :P

by Dave Keller

WELL . . . .

Let's see now . . . ..

Steve and I both get $ .40 per book in actual royalties.

How much of that would you like? :wink:

Dave Keller

P.S. As you can see, it's a labor of love ONLY!

P.P.S. My 3rd book will be titled: "Harry Potter Rides the LIRR."
Perhaps that will boost sales around the world. After all, there WAS a superintendant of transportation named W. Potter. Think I can get away with it by saying it was Harry's great grandfather and he's in search of his "roots?" :-D

P.P.P.S As Jamaica only has 8 platforms, I will have to revise the original platform number to read 7 3/4. DK

by badneighbor

ha ha ha... .000004 cents per appearance, or maybe an expired :-D coupon for McDonalds.

by RPM2Night

they charge $20 for the boom but only give you $0.40? Wow

I guess I'm not suprised though, all these performing artists and singers and stuff only making a few cents per CD that is sold even though the CDs sell for what...$15-20?

by Dave Keller

Here's the scoop:

We get $.80 per book, but as Steve and I are co-authors we split 50-50.

This is because Arcadia pays for everything up front.

Had I published the book privately, I'd have to shell out up-front money for the publisher, hope he does a good job, hope he actually prints my book, hope he prints the book sometime in my lifetime and then I have to market the books myself.

Arcadia does all the marketing. I suggest venues where additional books may be sold (i.e. museums, railroad-oriented booksellers, organizations, etc.). They would also arrange book signings if I lived in the area.

All the book costs me is printing 200+ photos for publication.

Where I can make some of my money back is by selling the book personally, as I am presently doing. As an author, I can purchase a quantity of the books at the same rate as the major stores, then sell them at list price (Im required by contract to do this. I'm not allowed to offer discounts or I break my contract with Arcadia.)

Anyhow . . . they're nice people to work with. They respond to all communication. They're swift in returning my original photos, and they keep me advised every step of the way.

When I order additional copies of the book for personal sale, they're shipped the same day I e-mail them and I get the books within 2 days from South Carolina.

Plus . . . . they have a very good reputation for their style and quality of books in their various series.

So . .. . good photo quality, good paper quality, no errors in text, great format, sussessful marketing, and they pay publication costs. For someone like myself with not much money with which to invest in a venture, Arcadia is the way to go, especially when the books are a labor of love.

I never figured I'd get rich. I only wanted to get my name out there and share my photos and some of the terrific history of this great railroad!!!! :-D

So . . . . buy a book youse gize! I godda put my kids tru collidge! :wink:

Dave Keller

by badneighbor

i'm sure the writing and sorting photos and editing and verifying is a labor of love, and quite time consuming. thanks from all who look to learn from your efforts

by Dave Keller

BadNeighbor:

Thanks for your kind words. It has been my attempt to pass along whatever info I can before I, too, have joined the many railroaders who have gone before!

Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest! :-D
(Though this sentence from the 1928 Book of Common Prayer refers to the Bible, it is appropriate here as well for ALL historians!!)

Dave Keller

by scopelliti

Dave, what is different between the original book and the revisited book?

by Dave Keller

Open up your copy of the first book to the table of contents and compare:

Sequel book:

209 photos, some double page spread
One double paged system map from 1936

Chapter 1: Electrified Service (including representative shots of every type of electric loco and car used here)

Chapter 2: Feeding the Firebox

Chapter 3: Our Diesel Heritage (including representative shots of every box cab that was here)

Chapter 4: The Freight Business

Chapter 5: Passenger Service (with parlor car coverage as well as Road 'n' Rail bus service!)

Chapter 6: The Morris Park Shops

Chapter 7: Depot and Towers Along the Right of Way

Have I sparked your interest? Hmmm??????

Enjoy!
Dave Keller

by LIRRNOVA55

I dont know about anyone else, but you sure did spark mine!! Ill sure order my copy or 2. . .

by emfinite

To all,

FlaEastCoastChris and I were lucky enough to get a sneak peek of Dave & Steve's new book last month while visiting in Orlando. I have to say there is an excellent choice in pictures and although I didn't see them yet, I'm sure the captions go along as well. I recommend this to everyone who bought the first book and also to those who didn't! There is a guaranteed something for everyone in here. Lots of steam and diesel for the fans like me and even some old electric stuff. Can't wait to see the finished product, Dave & Steve! Good luck with the book and I hope to see many more to come!

Joe

PS: Dave, I still have to download those group pictures of us! I have been having trouble with one of the memory cards, but I'll get it done soon and post them on this thread. Sorry I haven't been in touch!!! Talk to you soon.

by Dave Keller

Thanks, Joe, for the nice book review!!!!

I'm sure you will enjoy the captions equally as well as the sneak photo preview! :wink:

It was a really nice visit. I had a great afternoon. Don't worry about the photos. When you're able to post them, then go for it!

Dave Keller