Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#515023  by DutchRailnut

The remnants are actually on line between Pelham and Mount vernon.
The old station is what remains of the New York Westchester and Boston Railroad.
For more on it our Moderator Otto may have some insight on a book he co-authored on that railroad.

#515027  by RearOfSignal

Dutch, what I saw was definitely between Pelham and New Rochelle, I can see it on google earth between 1st street and 2nd street, parallel to Jones street.

#515033  by DutchRailnut

I don't see it, but if it was anything railroad Otto would know.

#515057  by MP 0.1

Wasn't this a trestle for coal deliveries?

#515123  by RDL 879

It's an abandoned coal trestle. It's probably the only abandoned siding with catenary poles still in place.

#515126  by Noel Weaver

The location in question here was at one time a coal siding off track 3
just west of CP-216 (New Rochelle Junction in the NHRR days). I don't
think this track has seen any use at all since the very early 1960's.
Noel Weaver

#515233  by Otto Vondrak

Yes, it sounds like you're decribing that coal trestle that served a coal dealer there. The concrete abutments further west are where the NYW&B crossed the New Haven at Columbus Avenue station (a joint facility where you could transfer from one to the other).

http://www.nywbry.com/forgotten

-otto-
 #515339  by fordhamroad

-Coal trestle
-back in the sixties you could see some remains of the old
coal yard which was right alongside the RR right of way. Look at a Sanborn or Bromley map and you can see the commercial customers who used to line the NH route. You can still see the remains of a large coal yard opposite the present MT Vernon station.

Roger

#515348  by Jeff Smith

I can't believe any part of that siding is left. I looked at it for years, and just can't believe it hasn't been pulled down or fallen. That was at one point a very industrial part of New Rochelle. Knickerbocker Press wasn't far from there, I think (over on the Hell Gate side).

Curious: how far did the trestle extend? Did it extend over the street to a yard? Was it always just that one car length?

I also can't believe any of the Columbus Av station remains. It looks fairly hazardous. I believe I remember that the NH kept it in service for some time (long after the demise of the NYW&B) - does anyone know when the NH part closed?

#515421  by starwardude

I don't want to hijack the thread, but by chance would the station in the below pic be the same Columbus ave. Station (the NH side I'd assume)? I bought the pic at a train show last year and have been trying to figure out where it is. Sorry if it's a bit big.

#515423  by Otto Vondrak

Yes, there was only one Columbus Avenue station, and it was in Mount Vernon. The concrete structure in the background is the remnant of the NYW&B station and viaduct. From what I know, the NH station was closed with the arrival of the M-2s- stations on a curve were being eliminated everywhere possible at that time. Great shot you got there!

-otto-

#515755  by starwardude

That explains a lot. Thank you for the info, Otto.

#516294  by Clean Cab

I think your describing the old New Rochelle Coal & Oil siding off of track #3 between New Rochelle and Pelham. I think it was removed from service (Noel, help me here!!) sometime in the 1960s.