Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1375111  by Jeff Smith

Stirring up dust today don't mind me. I've been through there once or twice in the last few years, but was unable to spot any of the remnants of this long disused siding. I never noticed the cat pole. Anyone know if anything remains?
 #1375132  by RearOfSignal

The switch from the main to this siding would have been facing point going east. So when you come west on 3 the side track can only really be seen if you're facing the rear of the train.
 #1375192  by Ridgefielder

Jeff Smith wrote:Stirring up dust today don't mind me. I've been through there once or twice in the last few years, but was unable to spot any of the remnants of this long disused siding. I never noticed the cat pole. Anyone know if anything remains?
Once you know where to look, it's pretty easy to spot as long as the leaves are off the trees. Next time you go through on an eastbound, watch closely out the left side of the train after you go through the phasebreak.

With regard to the "ghost" cat poles, there might be a couple in the woods where the stub end of the Wilson's Point branch curved off in South Norwalk. I also think there are 1-2 in Bridgeport, along some of the industrial sidings served out of the old lower yard.