Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Word is the railroad is putting together a train of about 7 cars to send to New orleans with water and supplies, along with volunteer workers, such as pipefitters and plumbers and the like, to help out. Thats all I know right now, but it is a fact it is being put together right now in the jamaica storage yard. man would I love to be on that crew

by DutchRailnut

Think the third rail and your qualifications run out somewere near New York.

by Long Island 7285

if its true mybe thell coupple to an amtrak or CSX from NYP foward?
aparently its still in roumer stage.

by DutchRailnut

LIRR C3's and DE/DM are not cleared on other railroads.
M equipment is useless without third rail or high level platforms.
MofW equipment s usually restricted to home road.

so I believe this to be just that " a Rumor"
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

by tushykushy

I too heard this rumor from a very reliable source who works on the RR.

by badneighbor

when did the C-5s arrive? i can't believe i missed that! also, third rail runs out in Ronkonkoma, on the way to Oyster Bay, Huntington, Babylon and the Lower Montauk Branch. I guess all the Ms drop dead there.

this railroad and MetroNorth, along with NYC Transit should all send help. If the size storm they got ever hit here, the devastation would be immense. close enough to the city, and the subways would end up flooded. on Long Island, the Montauk Branch would be washed over by seawater in a large number of areas. there are photos from 1938 from Connecticut, after that hurricane and what it did the NH line along the LI Sound was horrendous. This would happen here. If a storm dumped 15 inches of rain and moved up the Hudson River region, the river would certainly flood badly, flooding MNCR lines as well. It would be a catastrophic disaster, just like there.

by DutchRailnut

ok wiseass corrected on the c3's
Did not know you could get to New Orleans via the Oysterbay or lower montauk branch ?? maybe you can explain that one.

by badneighbor

one wiseass to another ... touche... :P

i dont care how they get there... if its MOW help, maybe they would just take their trucks. Probably get there a bit faster, and be able to get to places rails are destroyed.

by DutchRailnut

The railroads are functional up to about 5 miles from New Orleans.
biggest problem is causeway over lake and yards and tracks in New orleans will be submerged for another 80 days.

Trains from NJT/LIRR and MNCR are more than neccesary this tuesday when a 30% heavier load is expected due to fuel prices.
Now if our Curious George and Marionetta would have funded Amtrak fully in last 6 years there might have been exces cars available.
both due to new building and wreck repair.
The lesson that Amtrak was only game in town during aftermat of 9/11 were not taken seriously

by Silverliner II

DutchRailnut wrote:The lesson that Amtrak was only game in town during aftermat of 9/11 were not taken seriously
Well said. How quickly the government forgets.

by emfinite

Last night in Richmond Hill there were 3 trainsets already put together including the the 422 with 7. I'll try and ask around to see if and when they're leaving the Island. Supposedly there will be two train crews per train. M of E will also be going down, too.

Joe
Last edited by emfinite on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

To leave the island CSX and other railroads need to clear this stuff first.
No qualified crews.
No clearance diagram
Not even compatible fuel connections.
The stuff would need bulletins issued and timetable inclusion and crews to be trained or piloted.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Think the third rail and your qualifications run out somewere near New York.

Uh we have diesel trains, and I am qualifed through new york zone A to the Jersey side, after that we would need a "pilot" who is a qualifed employee assigned to a train when the engineer or Conductor is not fully qualified on the rules or physical characteristics of the railroad the train is to be moved on. We have allready taken trains to metro north facliities, and as far as selkirk yard upstate with pilots DUUUHHHH.
And it is NOT a rumor it is a fact the trains are ready to roll, waiting instructions from the federal government.

by KFRG

Hard to believe (We are talking about the MTA/LIRR here) but if this happens what a sight it'll be.

by Jayjay1213

When and why did a LIRR train and crew go up to Selkirk?