Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Form 19

They are most definately assembling trainsets to run to Louisiana. They are sorting out the logistics and then will roll.

The DE's are capable of operating off the LIRR's territory. The fuel connection is fine as long as they carry the adapter and they will. The crews will be piloted outside of their territory like any other railroad crew operating outside their qualified territory.

by SeldenJrFireman

Well, I do know that DE 421 is NOT Connected to any sort of Rescue Train because 8732 with 421 pulling and 5018 on the west end with four cars pulled into patchouge station at 10:59 AM This morning.

I cant see how the RR is sending Three Entire Trainsets to La. when there is an "equipment shortage" here on LI, Especially with tomorrow being a holiday, are they really going to have trains soaking up the sun waiting to head south when they can be used here?

(ps-I am not against helping those in need, something about sending all that equip south doesent seem right.)

by Lirr168

SeldenJrFireman wrote:I cant see how the RR is sending Three Entire Trainsets to La. when there is an "equipment shortage" here on LI, Especially with tomorrow being a holiday, are they really going to have trains soaking up the sun waiting to head south when they can be used here?
On any given day there are at least half a dozen DE/DM's laid up in Morris Park and an even greater number of C-3's just sitting there. I think the RR can spare 14 or so C-3's and 4 DE/DM's.

by Clemuel

Without confirming or denying the reports, I must add this.

If the Federal Government asked the LIRR for this support, it would be provided. Employees would be paid as provided by the contract, with federal funds. They would make lots of money.

The LIRR train sets can go virtually anywhere. They fit almost everywhere. If something breaks, it may take a day or two to ship non-standard parts, but that would be the case with just about any modern equipment.

There would be no problem piloting the stuff over other roads.

If needed, it will be there.

Clem

by Peanuts

I may not be as qualified as other hoggers out there... but I would run it..

by tushykushy

You know Selden.... I would sacrifice service for however long they need our equipment. They need all the support they can get right now.

by Richard Glueck

Yes, they are going to load a couple hundred unwashed, hungry, hurricane victims onto commuter cars with chemical toilets, and run them back and forth over several miles of yard siding. Sandwiches will be available for purchase, as well as copies of "People Magazine", "Forbes", "The New Yorker", and "Cosmopolitan". A mockup of Union Hall Street station is being constructed so people won't have to get off, but will still think they are going someplace. The reliability of the DE/DM and C3 equipment is a crap shoot, but then so are the chemical toilets.
This is an opportunity, unwasted, to assure the homeless and destitute of Louisianna, that the New York Metropolitan Transit Authority is with them in this crisis.

Further details as they become available.
Last edited by Richard Glueck on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RPM2Night

tushykushy wrote:You know Selden.... I would sacrifice service for however long they need our equipment. They need all the support they can get right now.
And lets not forget that these are fellow americans down there. When the Trade Center got attacked the support we got in NY from the rest of the country was amazing. United we stand.

by Nasadowsk

Are they gonna use those new GP-60's to pull it? ;) Or the F-40's? ;)

by M1 9147

Anything that can spare that whole mess, LOL!

by 9C1LT1

The MTA sent down 100 coach buses, according to what I heard today no LIRR equipment is going. Guess I'll have to wait for that shot of an LIRR trainset passing Elizabeth NJ on the NEC...

-Barry

by Fla East Coast Chris

Joe is correct on this one. That is all I am saying!!
Chris

by mkm4

emfinite wrote: It wouldn't be up to the MTA to send coach buses, because they don't own any. If Lousiana needed coach buses, the Federal Government would provide for them, not the MTA. What does the MTA have to do with a coach bus?
Maybe you missed this in the news over the last few days.

NY Convoy On Its Way to Hurricane Ravaged Region:
MTA Sending 100 Buses To New Orleans

These are the buses they use for express service, the coach style busses.

by tushykushy

I think what he means is... MTA is owned by the government. The Fed issued buses to be sent down there, therefor they are using MTA buses.

by BMT

Correct, about the bues from MTA. 100 coaches and drivers are on their way down to what's left of the 'Big Easy' for rescue ops. Not sure if these are the over-the-road MCI coaches or the bare-bones RTS models. I suspect it's a combination of the two. Not an expert in the area of buses, so I can't give any more details.

However, I'm sure if a number of fleets of the old Redbird subway cars were still around MTA would be sending them down as part of a rail caravan. Most of them were reefed or turned into MOW Rider and/or Continuous Rail Car service.